Laptop suggestions

BStowers023

Well, I've had pretty awful luck with my previous laptops. Bought a few used and have had nothing but problems. Hard drives crashing, motherboard issues and RAM issues. Acers and Sonys are pretty much off of my consideration list.

Criteria

- Under $600

- 4GB Ram +

- 320 GB hard drive

- Screen size isn't an issue

I know that's pretty broad. I know next to nothing about computers, so knowledgeable people chime in!

Well, I've had pretty awful luck with my previous laptops. Bought a few used and have had nothing but problems. Hard drives crashing, motherboard issues and RAM issues. Acers and Sonys are pretty much off of my consideration list.

Criteria

- Under $600

- 4GB Ram +

- 320 GB hard drive

- Screen size isn't an issue

I know that's pretty broad. I know next to nothing about computers, so knowledgeable people chime in!

You looking to buy new or used? New im guessing...

IMO/experience cheap plastic Acers/Sony's/Dell's with core2+ processors are prone to all kinds of issues due to the heat they tend to generate. If you want a lappy that will last make sure it has an aluminum case that will aid in dissipating heat (basically the whole case is a giant heat sink). You might also want to verify that a fan control program is availibe from the manufacturer before purchasing a unit. Dell is horrible when it comes to that aspect and as a result there laptops seem to overheat and shutdown on the regular.

Personally I've had great luck with older used (core2) Aluminum Macbook Pro's. That said I maintain them, I.E. fully disassemble the case, clean the motherboard, apply fresh thermal grease etc. With said maintenance and adequate cooling via SMC fan-control override they seem to run forever...

I just bought a M6-1035 HP , It's got a AMD A10 APU and I only paid 465 for it @ Microcenter. I'm very happy with it so far. Plays all the games I enjoy on my main pc and has a 5+hr battery life while running tuning software

You looking to buy new or used? New im guessing...

IMO/experience cheap plastic Acers/Sony's/Dell's with core2+ processors are prone to all kinds of issues due to the heat they tend to generate. If you want a lappy that will last make sure it has an aluminum case that will aid in dissipating heat (basically the whole case is a giant heat sink). You might also want to verify that a fan control program is availibe from the manufacturer before purchasing a unit. Dell is horrible when it comes to that aspect and as a result there laptops seem to overheat and shutdown on the regular.

Personally I've had great luck with older used (core2) Aluminum Macbook Pro's. That said I maintain them, I.E. fully disassemble the case, clean the motherboard, apply fresh thermal grease etc. With said maintenance and adequate cooling via SMC fan-control override they seem to run forever...

Good info man, thanks. Yes, new. I looked at Best Buy and was considering a Samsung and HP. I'm going to get a warranty with whatever I buy. The computer is only for web browsing and completing school work.