Some target practice...

GSXRAntwon

After zeroing my new Vortex Strikefire. I had to adjust windage a few clicks after this video....its golden now.

VIDEO: sorry I didnt edit it at all

AR all complete, for now :fuckyeah:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/hlfvipr/27B43161-D49C-4DF7-94C3-43994922031A-192-000000073041B265_zps4a3e3a66.jpg

Have you zeroed the irons? Bring that optic back to just about where it would touch that rear site. That far forward is too much eye relief.

What range were you sighting in at? Seemed closer than 100m.

Yes the irons are zeroed. I don't think you've done your research on the placement of the optic (red dot spec.). Its best to have it as far forward on the upper as possible. It has a 2x magnifier that screws on to the end also. Its sighted in on a 25m target, mainly good for around 100m. Good for home use and target shooting. If I were to shoot farther distances, Id adjust elevation a bit.

did a little shooting myself with Nickey and Nick over the weekend as well

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k204/stangsn95gt/307347_10200355755913567_1686570892_n_zpsbbc90607.jpg

Thats awesome, I was trying to talk Sam into letting us shoot up this SUV with a rod knock....turns out it wasnt a rod knock, just a collapsed lifter :lolguy:

Yes the irons are zeroed. I don't think you've done your research on the placement of the optic (red dot spec.). Its best to have it as far forward on the upper as possible. It has a 2x magnifier that screws on to the end also. Its sighted in on a 25m target, mainly good for around 100m. Good for home use and target shooting. If I were to shoot farther distances, Id adjust elevation a bit.

I understand the application and have used the weapon and that optic quite often. I've owned the optic for 4 years. I asked, to try and assist. Your reply is that you only intend to use it for up to 100m, your x2 attachment is not shown in your pic as being used. Therefore, I asked. The x2 attachment reduces the field of veiw, restricting your over all vision more then the x2 can off set to be a benefit. IF the optic it self was just x2 or even x3, without losing the field of view or needing the attachment, well that would be nice and very different. Why is it best to have it as far forward as posible on the upper? I've never heard of mounting it that way or why.

As for your irons, am I seeing no range adjustment on the rear sight? Just windage?

I'm not trying to make you defensive. I'm simply trying to understand your set up. It is very nice gear.

I understand the application and have used the weapon and that optic quite often. I've owned the optic for 4 years. I asked, to try and assist. Your reply is that you only intend to use it for up to 100m, your x2 attachment is not shown in your pic as being used. Therefore, I asked. The x2 attachment reduces the field of veiw, restricting your over all vision more then the x2 can off set to be a benefit. IF the optic it self was just x2 or even x3, without losing the field of view or needing the attachment, well that would be nice and very different. Why is it best to have it as far forward as posible on the upper? I've never heard of mounting it that way or why.

As for your irons, am I seeing no range adjustment on the rear sight? Just windage?

I'm not trying to make you defensive. I'm simply trying to understand your set up. It is very nice gear.

This.

How are you going to call out an NRA certified instructor, let alone a veteran of years in the armed forces. I'm sure he has more experience then anyone on this board.

This.

How are you going to call out an NRA certified instructor, let alone a veteran of years in the armed forces. I'm sure he has more experience then anyone on this board.

Thanks peanut gallery. Just because you're the president of the US, doesnt mean you know everything about everything. If I wanted your lousy input I would have asked for it.

As for Mojoe, from what I've read, the consensus was to put it where I have it. I read hours of posts about the position of the optic, and this was the placement of choice by numerous individuals. If you can enlighten me as to a better, more efficient place to mount it, and provide evidence, ill gladly consider moving it. But as of now, the way it's mounted makes it easier to see out of ones peripheral vision.

Thanks Mojoe for the constructive criticism, unlike most on this board.

Thanks peanut gallery. Just because you're the president of the US, doesnt mean you know everything about everything. If I wanted your lousy input I would have asked for it.

As for Mojoe, from what I've read, the consensus was to put it where I have it. I read hours of posts about the position of the optic, and this was the placement of choice by numerous individuals. If you can enlighten me as to a better, more efficient place to mount it, and provide evidence, ill gladly consider moving it. But as of now, the way it's mounted makes it easier to see out of ones peripheral vision.

I didn't give my lousy input, don't get hard on the internet Anthony. You just look stupid. Way to get all butthurt because you have READ so much where as most of us have LIFE experience with multiple weapon systems you have wet dreams about.

- the peanut gallery

• Downvote 1

I didn't give my lousy input, don't get hard on the internet Anthony. You just look stupid. Way to get all butthurt because you have READ so much where as most of us have LIFE experience with multiple weapon systems you have wet dreams about.

- the peanut gallery

Sorry I didn't spend my life in the Army, didn't choose that path bub. But congrats for shooting tons of sweet guns, I bet it makes your E-Penis huge just thinking about it.

- know nothing civilian

Sorry I didn't spend my life in the Army, didn't choose that path bub. But congrats for shooting tons of sweet guns, I bet it makes your E-Penis huge just thinking about it.

- know nothing civilian

Yes because I said you know nothing, how childish. You do you man, I'll keep my knowledge to myself and I'm sure Joe gets the point now and he will too. Just trying to help you with your learning curve. Good luck with your rifle and your 25m shooting.

Thanks Dover, but I understand not everyone on the internet intends to help, so he may have thought otherwise.

Antwon, I have not read much of the chatter online. I tried once and found a lot of trash to sift through for very little accurate info. There is good out there, it just don't all apply to my intended use, so i stopped reading. Here's what I can tell you from use with the StrikeFire, Aim point, and the ACOG; for what you said you intend to use it for, you have the right tool. I have mine dialed in for 100M and use it as a quick attach/detach, I like my irons. As for the field of view with no magnification, having it closer means when you have good cheek to stock well and closer eye relief, you are able to be more exact and take the strain off of getting on target. The further away your sites are from your eye the more variance you have and angles, meaning less exact/consistency of impact. Without consistency, you can't have accuracy. Now, you can train yourself to make that work. And I think what you have is a ball park site in that can get dialed in a little more. At 100M, you have quite a bit of room to be sloppy and still be on the target. Again, I know that's your intended range.

Let's talk quick reaction. Again with the eye relief; the distance of your eye from the site. Many marksman with the AR platform will tell you they shoot with their nose touching the charging handle, to include me. It sucks and I love it, because it works and I don't miss. That red dot is a speedy reference. At 100M and less you have no issues with the one you have. Your ability to acquire the site on target and transition to another target with accuracy is greater with proper eye relief. With the 2x attachment, I can see where you would have been in the right area. BUT, again, that one is too restrictive for field of view, IMO.

Try this, mark where you have it, white out works fine and it will come right off easy. Then, with no 2x attachment, draw the weapon up from the ready position and engage 2 targets. Try this with and without the attachment and with it near and far on the upper. You tell me what had you on target faster and more accurate. If you don't like it, put it back to where you had it marked, and stick with what works for you.

Your weapon is very capable of placing a round dead on at 550M with iron sites. IMO, your rear site restricts what that weapon is capable of by 80%. For the cost of that bipod/grip, you could have a fully adjustable from 200M-600M functioning fold down rear site. It's like Building a bad ass turbo V8 and putting a GT28 turbo on it. Yup, it's still fun, buuuuuuut..... I think you see what I'm saying.

Edited by Mojoe
spelling

I did neglect to address the peripheral vision. Just like you never have your finger on the trigger until you intend to fire, you wouldn't be looking through the sites or optic until you intend to fire. Meaning, you are focused visually on your target only. Your hearing or touch are going to have to be dialed in to whats around you. That's all senario based though. Again, the red dot is great quick reference and getting on target.

EDIT:

Glad to help. Feel free to PM me what you find, or if you ever have any questions.

By tomorrow, 20 people will have posted in here saying 20 other ways of shooting.

Also Mojoe, I believe I'm correct in saying that if you're shooting properly (both eyes open) the FOV through the optic itself is irrelevant? Correct?

This is where opinions very and you have to go with what works for you. I can't imagine how anyone can be accurate with both eyes open and not using their dominate eye. That's about the same as a hip fire or point and shoot. If even for a split second, you have to close one eye to be accurate.

My accurate and your accurate may be different, and I understand that. With training/practice, all things can work.