Some target practice...

GSXRAntwon

did a little shooting myself with Nickey and Nick over the weekend as well

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k204/stangsn95gt/307347_10200355755913567_1686570892_n_zpsbbc90607.jpg

oh my...awesome. Lemme know next time you're shooting up a washing machine. That looks like a fuck ton of fun

With my aimpoint I'm a both eyes open guy all the way but with irons you have to use only one eye.

That's because the M68 Aimpoint is a combat optic DESIGNED to be shot with both eyes open. If it were a SCOPE, then yeah, shoot it with one eye. And move it closer to the rear sight. But because it's a SIGHT, and designed to be shot with both eyes open, the (arguably) *correct* placement is flush with the rail on the upper (on a stock upper of course).

- the know nothing guy who's a certified instructor by the military to teach this shit to the military

:) My two pennies. I do see the advantage with a magnifier to move the whole unit more towards the rear sight. Aimpoint alone, flush with the end of the rail on a stock upper, which is about where he has his.

That's because the M68 Aimpoint is a combat optic DESIGNED to be shot with both eyes open. If it were a SCOPE, then yeah, shoot it with one eye. And move it closer to the rear sight. But because it's a SIGHT, and designed to be shot with both eyes open, the (arguably) *correct* placement is flush with the rail on the upper (on a stock upper of course).

- the know nothing guy who's a certified instructor by the military to teach this shit to the military

:) My two pennies. I do see the advantage with a magnifier to move the whole unit more towards the rear sight. Aimpoint alone, flush with the end of the rail on a stock upper, which is about where he has his.

Is there a question in there somewhere? I'm almost thinking we are saying the same thing, with exception that I disagree with the CCO being in a forward position. I say that by what works for me and what I have trained soldiers with and seen the differance. This is why I suggested it and that he try both ways to see what works for him.

I assume you are referancing to this piece of information from FM 3-22.9(referance figure 2-25 and 2-26):

The M68, close-combat optic (CCO) is a reflex (nontelescopic) sight (Figure 2-23). It uses a red dot aiming point and is designed for the "two-eyes-open" method of sighting. The M68 can be shot with one eye open as well. The dot follows the horizontal and vertical movement of the gunner's eye while remaining fixed on the target. A one-time retightening of the torque-limiting knob is recommended after the first three rounds are fired to fully seat the M68. No centering or focusing is required beyond 50 meters.

In the pictures it is shown forward most to allow for other optics to be used with it, such as the AN/PVS-14.

I have not been able to justify having it forward, without the use of needing room to mount additional gear. I'm not a fan of lolly popping the rear iron with the red dot, but I like the closeness of setting them near vs farther from each other.

Wouldnt having the nontelescopic sight as far forward make the surround (actual case, mount, adjustmant panel) smaller in the both open eye view? Making the field of vision more open and easier to identify targets.

But im assuming in this scenario; this would be used for more run and gun or close combat type shooting.

Lastly, Joe what rear sight would you recommend?

Wouldnt having the nontelescopic sight as far forward make the surround (actual case, mount, adjustmant panel) smaller in the both open eye view? Making the field of vision more open and easier to identify targets.

But im assuming in this scenario; this would be used for more run and gun or close combat type shooting.

Lastly, Joe what rear sight would you recommend?

Again, it says everywhere to mount the optic forward. I'm saying I don't find it effective without needing the room to mount other gear. If you train with it one way or the other, you can make it work. I recommend people try it mounted to the rear, because prettty much no one on here is mounting NVG's.

As for rear irons, I like the issued BIS, backup iron sight (yes, I'm switching spelling). I like it because it's what I have trained with and feel I do rather well with. There are many out there, I'm not well versed on them all, so one may be better for someone else than this one I reference. If you have a weapon with a carrying handle, the rear sight is very accurate with the fixed front sight post. It's just not what most people are running for a set up these days, but it is very capable. I'm on my GOV computer, so I can't post pics. But here's a link the the FM. Scroll down about half way to section 2-4.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-22-9/c02.htm

Is there a question in there somewhere? I'm almost thinking we are saying the same thing, with exception that I disagree with the CCO being in a forward position. I say that by what works for me and what I have trained soldiers with and seen the differance. This is why I suggested it and that he try both ways to see what works for him.

I assume you are referancing to this piece of information from FM 3-22.9(referance figure 2-25 and 2-26):

The M68, close-combat optic (CCO) is a reflex (nontelescopic) sight (Figure 2-23). It uses a red dot aiming point and is designed for the "two-eyes-open" method of sighting. The M68 can be shot with one eye open as well. The dot follows the horizontal and vertical movement of the gunner's eye while remaining fixed on the target. A one-time retightening of the torque-limiting knob is recommended after the first three rounds are fired to fully seat the M68. No centering or focusing is required beyond 50 meters.

In the pictures it is shown forward most to allow for other optics to be used with it, such as the AN/PVS-14.

I have not been able to justify having it forward, without the use of needing room to mount additional gear. I'm not a fan of lolly popping the rear iron with the red dot, but I like the closeness of setting them near vs farther from each other.

Nope, no question! Yeah I think we're on the same page with the exception of the placement. And in all reality like you said, it comes down to what you've been trained or continue to train to do. I'll have to play around with putting it closer to the BIS.

Not sure if this was meant to come off condescending but it its. I clearly didn't know aimpoints/all reflex SIGHTS were DESIGNED to be used both eyes open for quick target acquisition, sorry for my ignorance.

- idiot who has never even shot a gun but likes to give false opinions

Well I just did the 15 minute trigger job, and I must say it made a nice difference. My sear and hammer were already polished from S&W. All I had to do was cut the hammer spring and bend the trigger spring. I was about to buy a trigger, but after this mod, I'm very happy with the way it feels.