Cutting an Access door for Flywheel removal?

acklac7

First off I know the vast majority of you are already saying "no" by the time you've read this sentence. If it wasn't for a Goddamn rusty FWD V8 I would probably be saying the same thing..

At any rate Flywheel went out on a family members 2002 Lincoln Continental. Got the Trans Separated from the Engine in hopes I could access the engine-side flywheel retaining bolts from up top, didn't happen. Factory service manual calls for dropping the Subframe and Transmission in order to gain access, but fawk I don't want to go there with the space i've got to work with (and the fact that some of the bolts are rusted, bad). At any rate took a good look at it today and I'm almost positive I can get bolts off from the access door for the starter gear. Problem is I have a thin strip of case in my way (see the area in red). I zip that fucker off with a grinder and im golden.

Aside from obviously cutting a small section of the bell housing (which I don't think will be visible once I remount the starter) can anyone see any reason why I shouldn't at least give it a shot? I mean that little strip is structurally/functionally worthless as near as I can tell...

Should also mention the car will be sold after the job is completed. Car has been a piece of shit (mechanically wise) for sometime.

http://oi50.tinypic.com/36hqe.jpg

At first when I read the title I was like :no:

Even said to myself "I definitely need to elaborate on the matter, as going by the topic title people are going to picture me standing over the bell housing with a 16" cutting disk just going to town :eek2:

Battery powered variable speed dremal saved the day, no way i was getting a standard size grinder in that tight of a space.

Im now able to get a socket on all of the bolts :fuckyeah:

http://i49.tinypic.com/241woqg.jpg