My current conundrum. (WWCRD)

Draco-REX

I say option #3; here is why:

How much track time do you have? Real track time, not cones.

How much rally time do you have?

How much money are you willing to spend on the car?

What is it going to cost to take your car out there?

What are your chances of actually getting in?

Why not do road racing around here at Mid Ohio, Nelson, VIR, Putnam Park, etc?

Think about this:

Cage: $3k

Seat/Harness/Hans: $1500

Race suit, shoes, gloves, helmet: $1500

Truck to pull car out there: $5-10k

Trailer: $1500

Spare tires,brakes,parts: $5k

Fuel:?

Upgraded brakes: $2k

coilovers: $2k

Supercharger with tune? $5?

Sounds like you need a lot of disposable income to do this. I make $50k a year and I can not afford to do Pike's Peak. I wanted to start Spec Miata racing, can't afford it even when a race car can be had for $6k.

I drive a mostly stock MR2 (suspension, tires, brakes, boost contoller) at the track. I figure 2 days at Mid Ohio is $1k (on the high side) when it is done.

$360 to enter

$150 gas

$100 in brake wear ($400 new pads, $120 in rotors)

$100 in tire wear

$50 food

So that is $850, but no hotel. No cage, no suit, no race rubber, no trailer.

he works at Advance Auto Parts. that's chump change.

:gabe:

How much racing experience do you have, and is any of it on dirt? I know that Pikes Peak is mostly paved now, but still, could get pretty hairy.

are you joking? you ever see his blue car ??

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=87&pictureid=520

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=87&pictureid=518

I am aware of that and even mentioned it in my post. This thread is about the car to carry the nut up the hill.

3-5 years is a long time. Think back to how dumb you were 5 years ago -- you really want that guy building your Pike's Peak car? I wouldn't trust me from 5 years ago with anything like that. I spent my money on stupid things, because I mistakenly thought going fast was about speed rather than more important things like reliability and consistency. Five years from now I'm going to look back at myself now and think I was pretty dumb.

Buy some cheap car and get lots and lots of seat time doing local(ish) hill climbs while saving your money. Then 12 months before the big event, buy or build the car that will suit you the best at that point in time.

I am aware of that and even mentioned it in my post. This thread is about the car to carry the nut up the hill.

I guess my point is, ditch the idea of building an 818.

If you don't want to ditch the PPHC idea altogether, then focus on prepping one of your cars (why not the 03 WRX since it's most of the way there?) or buy a platform that has a lot of parts and knowledge out there. It will make your life much, much easier and if you make it to PPHC you will have a much better time doing it. It's either that or sell a car and use the money to rent race cars for the weekend so you can get the seat time.

After the number of crashes last year I think the organizers will be a lot more strict on who and how many they let compete. Amateur racers may still be able to get in under the exhibition class, like that one guy with the modded RZR.

I say option #3; here is why:

How much track time do you have? Real track time, not cones.

How much rally time do you have?

How much money are you willing to spend on the car?

What is it going to cost to take your car out there?

What are your chances of actually getting in?

Why not do road racing around here at Mid Ohio, Nelson, VIR, Putnam Park, etc?

Think about this:

Cage: $3k

Seat/Harness/Hans: $1500

Race suit, shoes, gloves, helmet: $1500

Truck to pull car out there: $5-10k

Trailer: $1500

Spare tires,brakes,parts: $5k

Fuel:?

Upgraded brakes: $2k

coilovers: $2k

Supercharger with tune? $5?

Sounds like you need a lot of disposable income to do this. I make $50k a year and I can not afford to do Pike's Peak. I wanted to start Spec Miata racing, can't afford it even when a race car can be had for $6k.

I drive a mostly stock MR2 (suspension, tires, brakes, boost contoller) at the track. I figure 2 days at Mid Ohio is $1k (on the high side) when it is done.

$360 to enter

$150 gas

$100 in brake wear ($400 new pads, $120 in rotors)

$100 in tire wear

$50 food

So that is $850, but no hotel. No cage, no suit, no race rubber, no trailer.

I didn't address the racing side of the plan because I was focusing more on the car for this thread.

I do have a plan for the racing side of the equation.

This year was about getting to HPDEs and similar events while focusing more on AutoX than RallyX.

Next year I would start looking into TT and "hillclimb" events in surrounding areas and anything else of that style (tarmac rallies would work too), along with continuing track days here in OH.

Third year would see my first application to PPIHC (not expecting to be accepted, but worth a try) with more focus on being competitive at various events.

With Option 1 I'd be using the BRZ for this, and spreading out the costs of the build over the course of three years. Option 2 would have seen me in the BRZ at first, and the money from selling the STI funding the 818 build to coincide with the third year.

I guess my point is, ditch the idea of building an 818.

If you don't want to ditch the PPHC idea altogether, then focus on prepping one of your cars (why not the 03 WRX since it's most of the way there?) or buy a platform that has a lot of parts and knowledge out there. It will make your life much, much easier and if you make it to PPHC you will have a much better time doing it. It's either that or sell a car and use the money to rent race cars for the weekend so you can get the seat time.

After the number of crashes last year I think the organizers will be a lot more strict on who and how many they let compete. Amateur racers may still be able to get in under the exhibition class, like that one guy with the modded RZR.

The WRX is out for a couple reasons. First, it's a beater. Granted, that's not a fatal condition for a car. But I think the money that would be spent bringing it back to a great condition could be better spent converting a better car, or building the 818. Second, I love RallyX and playing in the dirt. Using the WRX for this would mean I'd have no car for doing something I enjoy and quitting altogether, which is not something I want to do.

This year I'll probably put the WRX back on the road since my tow vehicle is junk, unless I can find a reliable one for cheap. I need to learn from Clay...