PF9 Vs. LC9

2pointslow

I have fired both and can't give a favorable review for either.

PL9, just like the 380; the feed ramp to the chamber it too steep and if the cause for the failure to feeds that I experienced. Hollow point, or any flat nosed round will only worsen the issue. Given the use of the weapon, for personal protection, a hollow point round is likely to be used. Ball ammo or a pointed bullet will aid in smoother chambering. I spend hours with a drummle reducing the feed ramp and smoothing it to promote a smoother transition from magazine to chamber. I ended up just giving the gun away to someone, so they at least had something to protect themselves. I should add there's a lot going on in this little gun and both the 380 and the 9mm create quite a kick in it's small frame. I didn't enjoy shooting it at all.

I shot a friend’s PF9 one time. I blame him for the failures I experienced. In one magazine, I experienced 3 failures to feed and one failure to extract/eject. He claims he had never had an issue and the gun may have been dirty. He said he cleaned it and shot it a couple days later with no issues and had never had any issues prior to what I had. The frame on this gun felt a little more robust and like it wasn't going to break. I think this assisted in making the gun more enjoyable to shoot and not feel like a stick of dynomite in your hand.

I do like the PF9 pricing, design and function over the Ruger. The frame of both is very compact and I would even include the M&P Shield with these for comparison.

I have fired both and can't give a favorable review for either.

PL9, just like the 380; the feed ramp to the chamber it too steep and if the cause for the failure to feeds that I experienced. Hollow point, or any flat nosed round will only worsen the issue. Given the use of the weapon, for personal protection, a hollow point round is likely to be used. Ball ammo or a pointed bullet will aid in smoother chambering. I spend hours with a drummle reducing the feed ramp and smoothing it to promote a smoother transition from magazine to chamber. I ended up just giving the gun away to someone, so they at least had something to protect themselves.

I shot a friend’s PF9 one time. I blame him for the failures I experienced. In one magazine, I experienced 3 failures to feed and one failure to extract/eject. He claims he had never had an issue and the gun may have been dirty. He said he cleaned it and shot it a couple days later with no issues and had never had any issues prior to what I had.

I do like the PF9 pricing, design and function over the Ruger. The frame of both is very compact and I would even include the M&P Shield with these for comparison.

The only problem with the shield is finding them. I am looking for a small pocket pistol that will conceal pretty easily.

I got the PF9 right after it was released

It's been very reliable, but I would never call it "enjoyable" to shoot :)

The reason I never got an LC9 is the thumb safety - Specifically a non-ambi thumb safety. And a mag disconnect, etc etc

Not something I want on a BUG like these, personally

I would never buy a PF9. My friend had to send his back into Kel Tec after 1200 rounds and they replaced everything on his. They said he shot it out.

I've read so many reviews on how great their customer service is, which it is. I just wouldn't consider a PF9 as a daily carry.

If you want a EDC, Kahr all the way.

Edited by Radio Flyer

well hmm, then what would you recommend as a pocket mouse gun?

I'm a big fan of Kahr. I've had the CW9 which I liked but moved up to a K9. The Kahr PM9 would be a great pocket gun. My buddy got this after his Kel Tec went out on him.

Diamondback is similar to Kel Tec but I haven't heard of the same issues with them. I know Hoblick had one of these.

Another option would be a Sig P290 RS. If you look at these make sure you're looking at the RS as they fixed some issues their first model was released with.

I have shot both and have a PF9. I bought mine several years ago before the LC9 came out. After shooting both I actually like the trigger on the PF9 better. The only ammo that did not feed was the Winchester Ranger which has a pretty wide hollow point. I switched to Hornaday Critical Defense and it feeds every time and I've never had a problem with FMJ. After about 50 rounds my hand is done for the day but its purpose isn't to be a plinking gun. Its pretty accurate for what it is and is nice and light. I would probably buy the shield if I were to buy one now, but I don't see any reason to trade up. Good luck.

My PF9 has been fairly reliable. Its my EDC. It is somewhat picky on what ammunition you feed it. I have found that HCD feeds flawlessly. HCD is an excellent ammo so i am contempt with that. Other ammunitions, as mentioned wont feed properly, AT ALL. Friend of mine has an lc9. very similar but has a manual safety. For some people that is a deal maker. The LC9 does not have a rail like the PF9.

http://i.imgur.com/AlbiFxT.jpg

I'm a big fan of Kahr. I've had the CW9 which I liked but moved up to a K9. The Kahr PM9 would be a great pocket gun. My buddy got this after his Kel Tec went out on him.

Diamondback is similar to Kel Tec but I haven't heard of the same issues with them. I know Hoblick had one of these.

Another option would be a Sig P290 RS. If you look at these make sure you're looking at the RS as they fixed some issues their first model was released with.

This.

I love my CW9, but I picked up a Shield 9 last week to try out. If I don't like it, I'm selling it and stepping up a K9 like RadioFlyer did. Kahr's are nice guns!

basically the ruger is just a copy of the kel-tec with two more safeties and costs more. I kel-tec got just about everything right except for the quality, they're just not made to be shot very much. OK if you don't mind not having a gun for 9 weeks while it's getting fixed. I haven't heard anything better about the ruger and I recommend neither of them for anyone wanting to stay sharp on their skills.

I like the DB9 however i have not heard much about them. I held one this weekend and it seemed to fit me nice.

I have read several places where they have had issues north of 1k rounds. I think im going to go with khar.

Edited by 2pointslow

Have carried both - Will carry the same so don't worry about that

Few Hundred rounds thru both - no issues

Price- PF9 can be found for $275

Trigger- I dont like the pull of either. And the reset of either. But different trigger groups can be had for the Kel-Tec for $80.

I now carry a PF9 with no complaints. But shoot both and see which feels better and you can operate better. No one can tell you which firearm is best for you.

Check out OVO for a Kahr K9. They had a ton of police trade ins for 360 OTD I think it was. That's where I got mine and it's been flawless, plus you don't have to spend your money on the break in ammo, which I would run about 800rds through a Kahr before you make any judgements on it or the trigger pull.