Godzilla LOL

Farkas

When the fail of an LFA can't compete with the GTR for $400k, how the hell are they going to beat it for $60k? I hope it happens just don't see it...

The LFA was also a technical exercise. There's a lot of places they could have trimmed costs.

But in all reality, I don't see this beating a GTR around a track. It's not a power thing, but a computer thing. The GTR has an ungodly amount of computer hardware that's designed to keep it on a track at peak grip. Only the MP4-12C has more active tech designed for cornering grip. I don't see Toyota investing in that level of R&D and hitting a price target significantly below the GTR.

That's not to say they can't make a Supra that handles outstandingly. They know how to put together a world-class handling machine now. They can apply the lessons from the FR-S/BRZ to the Supra to give it the best chance at dethroning the GTR. But I think by virtue of it needing a slightly higher level of skill to get the most from it will mean the GTR will win on-track more often than not.

Of course, then Toyota just needs to beat it in a straight line to *claim* to have killed Godzilla. It will be interesting to see if the Supra's press releases are a 180 from the FR-S.

If Toyota can take what they learned from the FR-S and scale it up, they'll have a winner here.

It just might not be a Zilla-Killa.

Supra rumors have been going on for ever and ever and ever. I doubt any of that will really make it into the production model IF there ever is a real production model. Every few years another concept comes out and the internet dubs it the "NEXT" supra. Yea right. Even if this is semi-legit, think of how long it took for the FR-S to actually become a real car that people can by and drive? We are looking at 6+ years from now for this to become a reality. So don't anyone get all excited yet.

Supra rumors have been going on for ever and ever and ever. I doubt any of that will really make it into the production model IF there ever is a real production model. Every few years another concept comes out and the internet dubs it the "NEXT" supra. Yea right. Even if this is semi-legit, think of how long it took for the FR-S to actually become a real car that people can by and drive? We are looking at 6+ years from now for this to become a reality. So don't anyone get all excited yet.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree. I think we will see it in production in less than 5 years. The rumors have been going for a while, but Toyota is happy to be back in the sports car world and the FR-S's success solidified their decision to get back into it. The supra was already planned, but Toyota was just being cautious.

It will be faster. It just takes a LOT to get Japanese management to try something new. If you cut out the years where Tada was trying to get the car OK'd and the negotiations with Subaru, it really only took 4 years to R&D and build the FR-S. With the data they got from making the FR-S, and management convinced there's profit to be made with little risk, they can move on the Supra very quickly. Granted, I don't think we'll be seeing a 2015MY Supra, but a 2017MY isn't out of the question.

It will be faster. It just takes a LOT to get Japanese management to try something new. If you cut out the years where Tada was trying to get the car OK'd and the negotiations with Subaru, it really only took 4 years to R&D and build the FR-S. With the data they got from making the FR-S, and management convinced there's profit to be made with little risk, they can move on the Supra very quickly. Granted, I don't think we'll be seeing a 2015MY Supra, but a 2017MY isn't out of the question.

The only way that MY17 is going to happen is if they platform share with the BRZ, and they would still have to really f-ing hurry. MY17 projects are out for quote at suppliers now. By the end of the summer the window on MY17 is gone.

It's just all the regulations, management crap, US regulations, etc. that these completely new cars have to go through on top of making a new Godzilla fighter form scratch. It sucks. I'm sure a Supra will happen some day. I just have no hopes of seeing it soon. It really sucks that inovation is stunted by everything that happens.

Maybe they have been secretive and doing this in the background for a while (doubtful) but that's the only way it's going to happen sooner. They need to go toe-to-toe with the GTR if they want a sports car presence again.

It's just all the regulations, management crap, US regulations, etc. that these completely new cars have to go through on top of making a new Godzilla fighter form scratch. It sucks. I'm sure a Supra will happen some day. I just have no hopes of seeing it soon. It really sucks that inovation is stunted by everything that happens.

Maybe they have been secretive and doing this in the background for a while (doubtful) but that's the only way it's going to happen sooner. They need to go toe-to-toe with the GTR if they want a sports car presence again.

I wouldn't say the long development time is due to government regulations, but it's more about setting up the supply chain in order to deliver thousands of parts per year. Sure this is a bigger issue with a large volume vehicle that's built in volumes of 300k+, but it's still an issue with a small volume car like this. There are a lot of ECU's in a vehicle like this, some which may have long lead times on certain processors, then once the design is finalized it has to go through testing, and not to mention tuning of the vehicle. One part my company orders has a 9+ month lead time. Granted, that's for a small volume order and it could get shorter if we ordered higher volume, but the point is it's nite like driving over to Micro Center and buying a USB drive.

I'm confused at you quoting my post.... I think we agree? lol

I guess my point was that the government/federal regulations and management crap have nothing to do with the long development time in order to get a vehicle on the market. It has to do more with the engineering involved and the long lead times associated with sourcing components in large volumes.