95 325i NO CRANK

STEVE-O

Buddy has a 95 325i auto trans. Drove just fine no issues at all. Parked the car came back out and nothing. Has power, sounds like I can hear the fuel pump but when you go to start it nothing happens lights don't dim doesn't click nothing at all. Steering wheel is not locked, also tried bouncing the car to see if the starter was stuck against the flywheel no luck. All fuses under the hood look good but the factory diagram is completely useless.

Anyone had a similar issue or have a idea besides just replace the starter? Mind you he doesn't have a garage, and his complex won't let you work on your car outside I'm sure. Diag tools are very limited and I am by no means electrical savy

Yep. I had several e36's do this.

Do the radio & cluster lights turn off when you attempt to crank it?

Iirc yes, Windows and wipers and everything else appear to work fine.

Tap the starter with a hammer and see if it starts then....

Was going to try that tom, I didn't bring tools with me and it seems to be in a hard spot on the driver side by the firewall under the intake plenum

Iirc yes, Windows and wipers and everything else appear to work fine.

On my early build 95, it was a bad starter immobilization relay (underdash, left of the steering column)

However, if that stuff turns off while "cranking", it sounds like it's trying to start.. and probably not be the same issue.

+1 Kale's advice to hit the starter. Take a broomstick or a pipe or something. Squeeze through that mess and slam it on the starter :)

• 4 weeks later...
Tried tapping to starter nothing changed at all. It does not attempt to crank at all. does anyone have experience diaging older bmws? I would obviously compensate you if we can find out the cause.

Well, starter 'could' be completely dead (usually it's the solenoid and not the starter itself). Next culprit is the engine ground at the front passenger side of engine/chassis. Sometimes the ground cable will corrode and break in two.

The cable looks like this: (this picture is just above the boot for the tie rod assembly on the passenger side of the car - next to the headers)

http://www.101projects.com/BMW/Projects/082/images/DSC01005.JPG

Thank you everyone I will check out that ground today. I fear its the ews seems to be a common problem and was trying to find a way to bypass it or a test to make sure in fact that was the culprit.

Is there any way you can jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver like you could old Fords? It may be a way to test to see if the starter is toast if you can find a way to do it.

Starter is VERY hard to get to, so that would not be an option. By the time you got to the starter to try and do that you might as well replace it.

Is there any way you can jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver like you could old Fords? It may be a way to test to see if the starter is toast if you can find a way to do it.

This does work on E36.

Except you won't get a screwdriver down there.. Hook an alligator-clipped lead to the terminal at the starter & run it up to the fuse box.

Starter is VERY hard to get to, so that would not be an option. By the time you got to the starter to try and do that you might as well replace it.

This does work on E36.

Except you won't get a screwdriver down there.. Hook an alligator-clipped lead to the terminal at the starter & run it up to the fuse box.

I wasn't sure, I have never owned one of these cars. I was just thinking if there is any way he could jump the power to the starter it would be a good way to test it. The screwdriver thing was just an example off the top of my head (I guess I should have worded it better the first time).

I wasn't sure, I have never owned one of these cars. I was just thinking if there is any way he could jump the power to the starter it would be a good way to test it. The screwdriver thing was just an example off the top of my head (I guess I should have worded it better the first time).

Yea, it's a good idea....it's just so hard to get to the terminals of the solenoid, even with alligator clips. Too bad it's not a manual, you could just pop the clutch for the time being.