An Iraq vets tale of terror, herroism and PTSD.

Sturg1647545502

Civilian PTSD, given your sexual assult referance, is tramatic. However, what I think is not being said is the combat conflict and being in the environment where you are wanted dead. Fucking dead!!! Mangled brutally, and still having to move forward with your mission knowing this is what is wanted of you by the enemy. An enemy that you do not know who they are most of the time. Seeing your friend's get hurt and losing them. It can wear on people in many ways that are different than for others.

All I wanted was to protect my soldiers, the people I cared about in a bad place. And sometimes that was out of my hands. Now that I'm home, that carries over, but it's a little easier to work with. That's why I started teaching CCW classes. I don't want people to be a victim. I just want them to be safe as best they can. My hope is a CCW holder will stop an act of terrorism before it happend; for the person to be there to make the difference.

So if it isn't clear what is meant by "have you served" maybe that is a perspective that was not looked at.

you just described in detail what its like to live in the thousands of neighborhoods across our own country. I for one lived for several years in a bat shit crazy area in Chicago. I then moved to South Side Homes in Charlotte, NC and Im here to tell you right now its like a fucking war zone everyday all day

Most folks dont sign up to be raised in those environment either....its not a choice

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you just described in detail what its like to live in the thousands of neighborhoods across our own country. I for one lived for several years in a bat shit crazy area in Chicago. I then moved to South Side Homes in Charlotte, NC and Im here to tell you right now its like a fucking war zone everyday all day

Most folks dont sign up to be raised in those environment either....its not a choice

I currently live in a pretty rough area in Columbus, yes I know, it's no Chicago, but it's still not great. MOST people that die in the hood had it coming to them, not all, but most. Afghanistan/Iraq is much worse than any "hood" in this country. If you haven't been, you can't comment.

its just hard to write the stuff on here because i no longer have the patience for it. not this link in general, but patience in general.

having to go to the VA mental health to talk with them people every month. certain sounds and smells trigger things. And this whole time i never knew it did. a friend ( a few to be exact ) convinced me to call the PTSD hotline here a while back, and here i am. And i was a 11B military grunt.

I currently live in a pretty rough area in Columbus, yes I know, it's no Chicago, but it's still not great. MOST people that die in the hood had it coming to them, not all, but most. Afghanistan/Iraq is much worse than any "hood" in this country. If you haven't been, you can't comment.

OK if you say so.

its just hard to write the stuff on here because i no longer have the patience for it. not this link in general, but patience in general.

having to go to the VA mental health to talk with them people every month. certain sounds and smells trigger things. And this whole time i never knew it did. a friend ( a few to be exact ) convinced me to call the PTSD hotline here a while back, and here i am. And i was a 11B military grunt.

I'm over most, still having trouble with cars approaching at a fast rate -- namely from the flanks.

Still working on crowds and having my back to people.

My wife never knew she had asthma until someone told her she did. In the ten years ive known her she has never had an attack.

OK if you say so.

Look at this way:

• You are obviously posting from the internet, which means you have all of your basic needs met (food,water,shelter)
  • You have income, sustainable and most likely above the poverty line
  • Your town/city/state has a established government and therefor a basic level of order to provide your basic needs
  • The area you live most likely has a better literacy rate compared to the places mentioned here
  • You don't take incoming mortar fire regularly, you don't experience car bombings with casualty rates in the 100's

That's just a fraction of the things that differ. I don't think anyone is trying to doubt how rough an area you live in, but, you really need to spend some time in a third world nation to realize what bad really is.

My wife never knew she had asthma until someone told her she did. In the ten years ive known her she has never had an attack.

snowflake brother, im gonna just let the comment roll off, but just so you know, thats about as hidden/disrespectful comment that i have seen since ive been typing away on this site.

im glad your wife hasnt had an attack and hope she doesnt, and im even more glad your using me and her as a reference for you to make a point to my statement about my mental health visits concerning my PTSD diagnoses. so touche.

• Upvote 1

This is some of this shit that happened on a regular basis. Sure, the deaths in Chicago may be sky high - but once you see a beheaded body, a little girl stoned to death, or an actual beheading -- this shit is on a different level.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2049987/Gurkha-beheaded-Taliban-soldier-Afghanistan-battle-cleared-return-duty.html

You must be so tough, you must have a TON of PTSD growing up in the hood. It's not the same shit homeboy, you are relating an AMERICAN shit hole to a country that is RAISED from birth to fucking hate you. Not just dislike you and comment on a CAR FORUM but legit think of every possible way to kill you and your best friend next to you. Shut the fuck up with this hood bullshit. You are straight up just and ignorant fool. I can't believe you honestly want to argue about PTSD with several service members on this website who have been there and done that to protect this country and give the right for your faggot ass to sit on your computer and cry. Soak up the tears and grab your dick and head overseas pussy. Boy I love the internet lets pussys be pussys in all walks of life. Congrats BRO you get the award for king pussy on CR. Can we get a name change please.

• Upvote 1

You must be so tough, you must have a TON of PTSD growing up in the hood. It's not the same shit homeboy, you are relating an AMERICAN shit hole to a country that is RAISED from birth to fucking hate you. Not just dislike you and comment on a CAR FORUM but legit think of every possible way to kill you and your best friend next to you. Shut the fuck up with this hood bullshit. You are straight up just and ignorant fool. I can't believe you honestly want to argue about PTSD with several service members on this website who have been there and done that to protect this country and give the right for your faggot ass to sit on your computer and cry. Soak up the tears and grab your dick and head overseas pussy. Boy I love the internet lets pussys be pussys in all walks of life. Congrats BRO you get the award for king pussy on CR. Can we get a name change please.

Calm down, calm down! A name change isnt needed. King Pussy = LOL!

Oh and please, please do not go into law enforcement. A little bit of shit talk on the internet has you ready to tear someones head off. I am far from the internet pussy you describe me as but I am certainly no match for a military trained killing machine like yourself.

Edited by Snowflake

snowflake brother, im gonna just let the comment roll off, but just so you know, thats about as hidden/disrespectful comment that i have seen since ive been typing away on this site.

im glad your wife hasnt had an attack and hope she doesnt, and im even more glad your using me and her as a reference for you to make a point to my statement about my mental health visits concerning my PTSD diagnoses. so touche.

It was the military that said the wife had asthma after serving for several years. So my statement was geared toward the military throwing around diagnosis that could possibly be untrue.

It was the military that said the wife had asthma after serving for several years. So my statement was geared toward the military throwing around diagnosis that could possibly be untrue.

its cool. im done sharing my personal diagnoses as a reference because that part of my life is not for peoples amusement. lesson learned though, i wont put it out there again. shame on me. should have known better. All is well sir.

I got to get another crack at you before you go full on Commando on me. But I originally disagree that PTSD should be used as a defense...Which it is all the time...then all of a sudden somebody who has never seen combat can have no clue about PTSD...according to the military folks in this thread, if I have not seen combat in some fucked up third world country, I can have no fucking idea about PTSD...As military folks that joined voluntarily you have to expect this will be the outcome in the time of war so dont fucking cry about it...But no fucking way can anybody other than military that have seen combat know anything about horror and tragedy.

PTSD symptoms seem to be worse if they were triggered deliberately by another person, as in a mugging or rape. Most PTSD sufferers repeatedly relive the trauma in their thoughts during the day and in nightmares when they sleep. These are called flashbacks. Flashbacks may consist of images, sounds, smells, or feelings. They are often triggered by ordinary occurrences, such as a door slamming, a car backfiring, or being in a place that looks like where the trauma took place. A person having a flashback is likely to feel the emotions and physical feelings that occurred when the incident happened despite no longer being in danger.

Not every traumatized person develops full-blown or even minor PTSD. Symptoms usually begin within three months of the incident, but occasionally may only emerge years later. They must last more than a month to be considered PTSD. The condition varies from person to person. Some people recover within months, while others have symptoms for much longer. In some people, the condition becomes chronic.

PTSD and the Military

Today, hundreds of thousands of service men and women and recent military veterans have seen combat. Many have been shot at, seen their buddies killed, or witnessed death up close. These are types of events that can lead to PTSD.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that PTSD afflicts:

Almost 31 percent of Vietnam veterans

As many as 10 percent of Gulf War (Desert Storm) veterans

11 percent of veterans of the war in Afghanistan

20 percent of Iraqi war veterans

looks like Im not the only one that thinks that PTSD exists outside of combat veterans. Im a big fan of the military, even the big headed tough guys that are Macho Man status on the internet and in real life...I'll take the award for biggest pussy and you can wear the award of cant control my temper and fly off the handle on the internet lol...

I got to get another crack at you before you go full on Commando on me. But I originally disagree that PTSD should be used as a defense...Which it is all the time...then all of a sudden somebody who has never seen combat can have no clue about PTSD...according to the military folks in this thread, if I have not seen combat in some fucked up third world country, I can have no fucking idea about PTSD...As military folks that joined voluntarily you have to expect this will be the outcome in the time of war so dont fucking cry about it...But no fucking way can anybody other than military that have seen combat know anything about horror and tragedy.

PTSD symptoms seem to be worse if they were triggered deliberately by another person, as in a mugging or rape. Most PTSD sufferers repeatedly relive the trauma in their thoughts during the day and in nightmares when they sleep. These are called flashbacks. Flashbacks may consist of images, sounds, smells, or feelings. They are often triggered by ordinary occurrences, such as a door slamming, a car backfiring, or being in a place that looks like where the trauma took place. A person having a flashback is likely to feel the emotions and physical feelings that occurred when the incident happened despite no longer being in danger.

Not every traumatized person develops full-blown or even minor PTSD. Symptoms usually begin within three months of the incident, but occasionally may only emerge years later. They must last more than a month to be considered PTSD. The condition varies from person to person. Some people recover within months, while others have symptoms for much longer. In some people, the condition becomes chronic.

PTSD and the Military

Today, hundreds of thousands of service men and women and recent military veterans have seen combat. Many have been shot at, seen their buddies killed, or witnessed death up close. These are types of events that can lead to PTSD.

looks like Im not the only one that thinks that PTSD exists outside of combat veterans. Im a big fan of the military, even the big headed tough guys that are Macho Man status on the internet and in real life...I'll take the award for biggest pussy and you can wear the award of cant control my temper and fly off the handle on the internet lol...

I haven't read anywhere in this thread that anyone is denying PTSD whether war fighter or civilian. We're not denying you won't or can't experience tragic events in the civilian populous. The only reason anything to do with the military is being said is simply this: a combat medic is immersed in an environment full of shit, seeing lots of shitty shit. This man served. People who have served are trying to convey the experiences that become routine to us are normally out of the normal for most Americans.

You stated you don't think PTSD should excuse a man of his actions, or, legally - the mental state of a person should not be considered when examining a crime. The few service members commenting are simply offering empathy for a fellow troop.

Also, keep in mind, those numbers come from troops that have been reported seeking help. That can be a career ender -- despite what they say.

If i cared i'd ask why snowflake, who has never served in the military, has such a strong aversion towards PTSD.

PTSD has gotten more attention over the past 10 or so years; a lot of it focused around the suicide rate of men and women who have served in this Nation's Armed Forces. This may have led to people taking advantage of the system and saying the "right things to the right people" for whatever reason....but i'm convinced that the people who do this are going to leech off the system regardless.

So inquiring minds would ask whats wrong with access for PTSD treatment and solutions? The "leechers" aside what would cause this snowflake character to not want people who served for this country and suffered mental trauma to get the help they so desperately need?

If i cared i'd ask why snowflake, who has never served in the military, has such a strong aversion towards PTSD.

PTSD has gotten more attention over the past 10 or so years; a lot of it focused around the suicide rate of men and women who have served in this Nation's Armed Forces. This may have led to people taking advantage of the system and saying the "right things to the right people" for whatever reason....but i'm convinced that the people who do this are going to leech off the system regardless.

So inquiring minds would ask whats wrong with access for PTSD treatment and solutions? The "leechers" aside what would cause this snowflake character to not want people who served for this country and suffered mental trauma to get the help they so desperately need?

My response will be simple.

When I made a comment about PTSD being used as a defense against criminal prosecution it was mentioned a couple of times that no way could I offer an opinion on PTSD because I havent served in a combat situation.

I disagreed and showed how PTSD affects far more people than military folks.

Now Snowflake the character is the biggest pussy of CR all time.

And when the fuck did I say I didnt want to see our military folk get the help they need. Dont put words in my fucking mouth.

I haven't read anywhere in this thread that anyone is denying PTSD whether war fighter or civilian. We're not denying you won't or can't experience tragic events in the civilian populous. The only reason anything to do with the military is being said is simply this: a combat medic is immersed in an environment full of shit, seeing lots of shitty shit. This man served. People who have served are trying to convey the experiences that become routine to us are normally out of the normal for most Americans.

You stated you don't think PTSD should excuse a man of his actions, or, legally - the mental state of a person should not be considered when examining a crime. The few service members commenting are simply offering empathy for a fellow troop.

Also, keep in mind, those numbers come from troops that have been reported seeking help. That can be a career ender -- despite what they say.

I have no problem with military offering empathy towards each other. You're brothers and sisters why wouldnt you. But that person using PTSD as part of a defense did some criminal shit that warrants punishment and what about the trauma they caused their victims. The victims are who I think of first, ill worry about the criminals bullshit defense later.

How far will the empathy be carried when the victim is close to home.

The biggest thing here about the civilian vs. military PTSD is the level of the issue. Yes, here in the states there are rapes, muggings, murders, kidnapping, etc. And yes, these are traumatic events that could lead to cases of PTSD. However, the level of effects for such events would be quite lower than those of a Veteran who's been through the harshness of places like Fallujah, Ramadi, and Kandahar. A single traumatic event will never be as bad as repetitive exposure to such instances over 6 mos to a year, and often multiplied over multiple deployments.

Using PTSD as a defense for a crime? This would be dependent upon the specific crime and the details surrounding it. A vet suffering serious PTSD who unwittingly reacts to a situation which in turn results in a crime, I could see this being an instance for such a defense. I also would see it as any other mental condition, where the accused should undergo the treatment he/she needs even if that means a court order. Just my .02

I have no problem with military offering empathy towards each other. You're brothers and sisters why wouldnt you. But that person using PTSD as part of a defense did some criminal shit that warrants punishment and what about the trauma they caused their victims. The victims are who I think of first, ill worry about the criminals bullshit defense later.

How far will the empathy be carried when the victim is close to home.

I dont care if he use's it as his defense but I think the real reason for this article is to alert people about military PTSD, and how it is misdiagnosed. Ive had nightmares, flashback, have major anxiety problems and sleep issues, get nervous in big crowds, looking on the sides of the road and bridges while driving, constantly look for an exit when I go in building, and hate people standing behind me. And all the doctor told me when I went to the VA a few years ago was that he thought I had a drinking problem lol.

I think the friends and family of veterans just need to be a little more alert and watch for key signs so something like this guy doesnt happen to someone else.

PTSD and the Military

Your wanting to quote some stuff instead of step aside and look at things from your own perspective.

I cannot tell you how others have come about being diagnosed, nor do i care to anymore. based off everything that i am reading that you have wrote, the only people needing any sympathy are those living in the projects or as you call it the ghetto or what have you.

People have different stories and tend to share them to try to get people to relate to them and or make points/references. I could sit here and honestly and respectfully view your opinions and respect them but i will not do so because you have not given me the same respect. I sincerely hope your wife wakes up and finds a man who respects the service she provided for her country when her husband was too busy bitching about those who ended up screwed up afterwards.

I dont care if he use's it as his defense but I think the real reason for this article is to alert people about military PTSD, and how it is misdiagnosed. Ive had nightmares, flashback, have major anxiety problems and sleep issues, get nervous in big crowds, looking on the sides of the road and bridges while driving, constantly look for an exit when I go in building, and hate people standing behind me. And all the doctor told me when I went to the VA a few years ago was that he thought I had a drinking problem lol.

I think the friends and family of veterans just need to be a little more alert and watch for key signs so something like this guy doesnt happen to someone else.

save your breath brother. i know what your going through, but he doesnt. he doesnt care and thats fine. ever need a tentative ear feel free to message me.

save your breath brother. i know what your going through, but he doesnt. he doesnt care and thats fine. ever need a tentative ear feel free to message me.

Will do, have talked to other CR members before about what I go through. ie Killjoy, gergwheel, and Hwilli are great friends who are always there if I need to talk.

My issues are bad but I get through them. Sure, I have my moments but talking to friends and family help me deal with my problems. I do understand how some vets won't talk to people about their war time experiences but you have to keep reminding them that you are there for them so something like this doesn't happen.