NFA Gun Trust referrals?

Diamonds

Hi Bob,

I've done two so far, one personal and the other for an estate.

The personal trust was done with NOLO's software, revised with some additions for specific wording done in the first trust drafted by the lawyer handling estate items.

A living trust is a trust, just like a will is a will, even if its written on an orange (true story). Depending on your situation (grantors, trustees, beneficiaries, etc.) the computer software works for most people. 99% of the time it will clear the ATF for the initial purchase. Keep in mind the trust is only validated is an invalid or valid trust, it can be reviewed and upon the execution phase, that could mean a knock on the door and some hefty fines if something isn't jiving. If aren't a convicted felon, can verify your income from birth, and don't have an extensive travel record overseas -- you should be OK.

The one key element that is left out on most online postings: you cannot purchase anything being declared in the trust with a personal account. All of your purchases need to be made with an account registered to the trust and therefor acting as the trust.

I've found that PNC will create an account in the name of the trust without classifying it as an investment account, so: no fees, 5$ min balance, regular checking account. I normally bank with 53rd and USAA - both wanted to only talk about $$,$$$.$$ style of accounts.

I would say reading over all of the ATFs' documents relating to what you want to do. Ignorance is not an excuse and is not taken lightly.

Steve Michniak

330-734-9639

I spoke with him on the phone briefly. He seems like a good guy with a fair price for setting up a trust. He told me he has done a few hundred of them. He lives somewhere near Cleveland and he can do everything over the phone with you. It took him a few days to get back to me when I called but I called late on a Friday. I still went the Quicken route but give this guy a call. I believe he told me it would be 250 to set up a trust. Keep in mind that if you plan on going the SBR route to try and keep your trust name short to keep the engraving to a minimum.

Something else to add. From what I've read, if the NFA were to deem your trust invalid for some reason or another they're not going to come knocking down your door and throw you in jail. They'll give you some time to get your trust straightened out as well as give you recommendations as to where to get it set up correctly. You will have to pay another 200 dollar fee though.

Don't use Quicken to do a NFA trust. It doesn't set it up where the vocabulary is geared toward NFA items. Some say it doesn't matter, some say it does. Why risk it...

The terminology that lawyers use a selling point is mostly dealing with giving the power to grantors or beneficiaries to transfer items in and out of the trust.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
got my trust, if anyone else wants a copy I will sell it to you. Sorry if that sounds bad.... But I paid 250.00 for it. Yours for 30.00 bucks.

Is the trust "registered" somewhere? If so, how?

KillJoy

PS - I am wanting a copy...

Edited by KillJoy

Killjoy, I'm not sure.

I printed it, took it to blackwing and sent it off with my form 4 for my suppressor. They said the trust looked perfect. I have thought about the fact that all the trust actually is..... Is just a document claiming an entity.

You guys can PM me if you want my Paypal addy or I can even prepare the doc for you. No biggie. Let me know.

im not 100% on this.. but I think I would not take the easy way out when dealing with this type of stuff and would want it all in my name. but I went LLC anyway so ehh.

Question: How is developing a gun trust the easy way out? AND, It is all in my name...

Items named in an LLC become public knowledge and yearly fees may apply as well as annual form filing etc. Items in a trust just seemed easier from a maintenence standpoint.