Which Modern Professional Race Car is the Most Impressive for what it does?

Fubar231

race - noun - a contest of speed.

Drifting isn't racing. Drift cars aren't race cars. Therefore they are disqualified from the OP.

Considering drifting is judged on line, speed, angle and over all impact it there for is considered racing by your standards.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured that would rustle some jimmies. Since you guys are so thick headed you don't even bother looking at other forms of racing. The professional drift cars have probably more grip than drag racers do.

Get that shit outta here. I don't see Brian Boitano looking for a finish line. Know what drag racers call it when they "drift"? Yep, a loss.

Haha this is the exact responses I expect to hear from cr.

If you expected us to correct your incorrect definition of "race car," then why not just be correct in the first place?

Seriously, I have no problem with drifting, it seems fun as hell and it's gotta be more interesting to watch than a spec miata race. It's just not racing. Don't be offended.

When asked what you do, you respond "drift cars", not "race cars". Racing involves the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to out-distance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, wherein timing is made of the participating vehicles involving competitive accelerations or speeds. Racing gives no style points, period.

Is drifting racing? No. There's no racing going on, just like Gymnastics isn't racing but a Marathon is.

Is drifting a Motorsport? Yes. It's a motorsport like any other with winners and losers driving engine-powered machines.

When asked what you do, you respond "drift cars", not "race cars". Racing involves the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to out-distance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, wherein timing is made of the participating vehicles involving competitive accelerations or speeds. Racing gives no style points, period.

See you just defined drifting right there.

I don't think you guys fully understand how drifting is judged.

It IS a race, except there's more "showing off" in between, that happens to seperate you from the rest of the competition.

There is a defined starting line and finish line.

The LEADER is trying to create distance from the FOLLOWER to avoid being PASSED, while having the most angle, and speed possible before the finish line. They also have to strategically block the follower from passing the leader.

The judging and style is basically a bonus or edge, as long as you out-drive the competitor.

Sounds a lot like racing to me. :marc:

Drifting is to Drag Racing/F1 Racing/NASCAR... etc. what Cheerleading is to Football/Baseball/Basketball. It's still a sport but winning is based on style and performance that is judged, not by beating the other person within predetermined rules.

It IS a race, except there's more "showing off" in between, that happens to seperate you from the rest of the competition.

The LEADER is trying to create distance from the FOLLOWER to avoid being PASSED, while having the most angle, and speed possible before the finish line. They also have to strategically block the follower from passing the leader.

The judging and style is basically a bonus or edge, as long as you out-drive the competitor.

And how often does the racing in drift competitions decide the winner at the professional level? Hadly ever that I've seen. It's still a judged competition with a racing "out".

Look at it this way: If it were truly about reaching the finish line first, and the style judging was purely secondary as you imply, then car design would be about covering that distance in the quickest period of time, not about slip angle. Put Monster Tajima's Pike's Peak car on the track and it would win by "racing" every time.

If it were truly about point-to-point above all else, every car would be a no-holds barred grip machine with getting to the finish line first as the primary goal.

That is not the case.

If it were truly about point-to-point above all else, every car would be a no-holds barred grip machine with getting to the finish line first as the primary goal.

That is not the case.

I don't agree. You need to look at pro level drift cars. This is the issue its a hidden gem in drifting but grip is a huge part that people don't understand unless you do it. People think that drifting is only about getting the car sideways thinking that you want the slickest tires. That's just the end of it. Grip is more of a effort then sliding the car. A proper drift car is a grip car first that has has slight changes to alow it to not twitch as much when it is sideways.

A lot of pro cars run 3-4k springs in the rear because they want squat and forward grip.

Look at Vaughn gittens car. It can almost do a wheelie mid drift. As after of fact if you watch it in slow mo you can see it pickup the cars front end.

Does the fastest time always win?

No? Not a race then.

The LEADER is trying to create distance from the FOLLOWER while actively engaging in an activity that's bound to reduce that distance (sliding sideways). If creating distance was his only goal, he wouldn't be sliding. Therefore, drifting isn't about creating distance.

I don't agree. You need to look at pro level drift cars. This is the issue its a hidden gem in drifting but grip is a huge part that people don't understand unless you do it. People think that drifting is only about getting the car sideways thinking that you want the slickest tires. That's just the end of it. Grip is more of a effort then sliding the car. A proper drift car is a grip car first that has has slight changes to alow it to not twitch as much when it is sideways.

You completely ignored the relevant portion of Draco's statement, namely, "with getting to the finish line first as the primary goal."

In drifting, is getting to the finish line first the primary goal?

I think F1 because despite the constant neutering of cars and their out-of-this-world design, they reflect the trend of car technologies of today and tomorrow.

- KERS/ERS (next year) system represents the hybrid tech of the day

- No refueling is also reflective of modern concerns for fuel economy

- DRS is a technology that has been in modern supercars for some time, and we're starting to see it creep into economy cars via grill shutters to improve fuel mileage.

- As ridiculous a comparison as it seems, the modern F1 steering wheel as posted before is more indicative of the modern passenger car steering wheel than an LMP steering wheel is; modern passenger cars allow you to communicate either with others or with the car (Bluetooth/voice commands) with a single button press, change car settings (infotainment), view car data (HUD/trip computer), and even modulate throttle (cruise control) all from the steering wheel.

- Hell, in my car I can even order a vehicle health report sent to my email. Seems insignificant in a passenger car, but that's basically the same as the telemetry sent every millisecond from an F1 car.

While there are many race series that incorporate several of the above qualities, I think F1 is the only series that has them all.

Does the fastest time always win?

No? Not a race then.

The LEADER is trying to create distance from the FOLLOWER while actively engaging in an activity that's bound to reduce that distance (sliding sideways). If creating distance was his only goal, he wouldn't be sliding. Therefore, drifting isn't about creating distance.

... it's still a race to the finish, any way you look at it.

By this logic, Rally driving wouldn't be racing, either. Sliding only slows the driver, therefor, they must not be racing.

And how often does the racing in drift competitions decide the winner at the professional level? Hadly ever that I've seen. It's still a judged competition with a racing "out".

Look at it this way: If it were truly about reaching the finish line first, and the style judging was purely secondary as you imply, then car design would be about covering that distance in the quickest period of time, not about slip angle. Put Monster Tajima's Pike's Peak car on the track and it would win by "racing" every time.

That is not the case.

You're completely ignoring the fact that if you get passed as the leader, at any point, you're automatically losing the "race." So yes, it IS about reaching the finish line first, with a whole bunch of extra shit involved to make it much more complicated than just racing to the finish.

You completely ignored the relevant portion of Draco's statement, namely, "with getting to the finish line first as the primary goal."

In drifting, is getting to the finish line first the primary goal?

YES. You get passed = you're losing.

that's more of a deterrent to sliding off the track/hitting a wall/spinning out/ etc. than actually trying to beat the other person. Yes, grip is very important, that's how you control the car. that fact that you lose as soon as you get passed also negates the racing as in any form of racing, you can always pass back.