Help Me Pick a Handgun

spankis

I'm considering buying a handgun.

I've grown up around .22s and shotguns, but I don't own my own pistol or have tons of experience shooting them. With some guidance from my uncle I bought my dad a full size S&W M&P .45 for his 50th birthday a while back, and I've shot a few friends' guns over the years. For cost of ammunition alone, I'm steering away from a .45, and probably considering a 9mm or .40cal. I'm probably not interested in a .22 as my only handgun, but possibly in the future. For what it's worth I have pretty average sized hands, not big but not small, but I generally don't like the feel of the compact guns I've held.

In recent memory I've shot:

- S&W M&P full size .45 - Like it okay, fits my hand decently. Can shoot accurately enough with it. Like the simplicity of teardown (only one I've personally had apart)

- Ruger PX4 full size 9mm - I was actually very accurate with this gun, but HATED the trigger pull.

- Glock 19 9mm (not sure what gen but newer) - Shot decently accurate with it, and no huge complaints but it didn't feel great in my hands.

I've never shot a 1911, but I really like the way they feel in my hands. They just seem to "point" nice and naturally. To be fair though I've not held one with a loaded mag. From what I see decent 1911 models seem significantly more expensive too.

I would say my priorities are value, accuracy, and reliability - probably in that order. I also don't want a gun that is super picky about ammunition, as I've heard that complaint from several friends.

Not sure if all this info is helpful or not, but are there specific models that sound like they might suit me well? I've started doing some research but I find so much information it's tough to sort through. Any tips on decent sales going on would be appreciated too. Thanks for the help.

9mm:

Glock 19

Glock 17

Smith&Wesson Shield

Smith&Wesson 9c

I don't shoot .40 as it seems to me like its just a compromise between 9mm and .45 ACP. It just seems silly to me. I'd rather have the extra capacity or the extra punch, not half of both.

For a starter 1911 look at the Rock Island Armory Tactical, or go to Gun Envy and ask them to get you an STI Spartan. I've seen one in their display once so I know they can get them. Both are somewhere in the $500-$1,000 range, just not totally sure where in that range they are these days.

I'm biased because I love 1911's. However that said, if you're wanting 9mm, it's hard not to recommend the usual suspects.

Glock 17/19

Springfield XD/M

S&W M&P

Ruger SR9

That said, I love my FN FNX-9, been reliable as can be possible (100% with no hiccups as of yet), very 1911-y in feel and operation, it points like a 1911, and it's capable of condition 1 (cocked and locked) carry, as well as da/sa no safety, or safety engaged da/sa if one should so desire. They're not much more than the listed, and FN is a respectable brand.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/sol740/20130321_-picsay_zps008ed9e4.jpg

I'm biased because I love 1911's. However that said, if you're wanting 9mm, it's hard not to recommend the usual suspects.

Glock 17/19

Springfield XD/M

S&W M&P

Ruger SR9

That said, I love my FN FNX-9, been reliable as can be possible (100% with no hiccups as of yet), very 1911-y in feel and operation, it points like a 1911, and it's capable of condition 1 (cocked and locked) carry, as well as da/sa no safety, or safety engaged da/sa if one should so desire. They're not much more than the listed, and FN is a respectable brand.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/sol740/20130321_-picsay_zps008ed9e4.jpg

Any idea why FN doesn't list the FNX on their website?

http://www.fnherstal.com/primary-menu/products-capabilities/handguns.html

My advice would be a 9mm. The ammo is cheap and the round is big enough to stop someone.

If you have medium sized hands and you hate big grips DO NOT buy a glock. I think you would like the feel of an FN the best. It's weird how big the grip looks but how small it actually is. It's probably my most comfortable gun. Also, I have never heard a complaint about a SW M&P AaaaaND the grip is nice and ergonomic.

If you have a few bucks then buy an HK USP or P30 and never look back... But, HK will begin a sickness that your pocketbook may dislike. In fact, Vance's has agency-trade-in USP's for 519.00 (in .40 cal) which is a steal if you don't mind holster wear.

Feel free to PM me, you can shoot all my guns.

I would say my priorities are value, accuracy, and reliability - probably in that order. I also don't want a gun that is super picky about ammunition, as I've heard that complaint from several friends.

Based on what you want, get a CZ P07 Duty in 9mm. Great Value, you can beat the price for a DA/SA gun with decocker or safty. It can be found for around 450-460 new. It is very accurate and very reliable. That is the next 9mm I am getting.

M&P9s are very reliable as well. The trigger is something to get use to unless you change it out. They are accurate if you learn to shoot them. Some people claim they are in accurate, I think it's just user error and people not realizing that the M&P9 FS is a service gun, not a match gun. I haven't had any issues with any of Mine.

If value isn't an issue, I would get a H&K USP9 or a H&K P30 in 9mm. The 2 best 9mm handguns out there IMO.

Any idea why FN doesn't list the FNX on their website?

http://www.fnherstal.com/primary-menu/products-capabilities/handguns.html

You have to go to the FN USA site.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commercial/handguns/

Based on what you want, get a CZ P07 Duty in 9mm.

I'm also a big fan of this gun having recently shot one.

If ya want 9mm:

Glocks and S&Ws mentioned, Ruger SR9 or P95, or the Springfield.

Honestly though, I cannot say enough about FN's. Dad's FNP-9 is by far my favorite 9mm to shoot. His FNP-40 is my fav. .40 to shoot. Yeah, there's a trend here. Check them out.

My advice would be a 9mm. The ammo is cheap and the round is big enough to stop someone.

If you have medium sized hands and you hate big grips DO NOT buy a glock. I think you would like the feel of an FN the best. It's weird how big the grip looks but how small it actually is. It's probably my most comfortable gun. Also, I have never heard a complaint about a SW M&P AaaaaND the grip is nice and ergonomic.

If you have a few bucks then buy an HK USP or P30 and never look back... But, HK will begin a sickness that your pocketbook may dislike. In fact, Vance's has agency-trade-in USP's for 519.00 (in .40 cal) which is a steal if you don't mind holster wear.

Feel free to PM me, you can shoot all my guns.

That's all good info thank you. I think I am leaning more and more toward something in 9mm. Thanks for the offer too!

Glock 17/19

Springfield XD/M

S&W M&P

Ruger SR9

FN did not ring a bell at first, but I see that they're the makers of the five-seven so I guess I'm a little familiar. The fact that yours is the first of several FN suggestions also makes me pretty interested, and that you also like a 1911-y feel.

Thanks for that too, all in one place.

Based on what you want, get a CZ P07 Duty in 9mm. Great Value, you can beat the price for a DA/SA gun with decocker or safty. It can be found for around 450-460 new. It is very accurate and very reliable. That is the next 9mm I am getting.

M&P9s are very reliable as well. The trigger is something to get use to unless you change it out. They are accurate if you learn to shoot them. Some people claim they are in accurate, I think it's just user error and people not realizing that the M&P9 FS is a service gun, not a match gun. I haven't had any issues with any of Mine.

If value isn't an issue, I would get a H&K USP9 or a H&K P30 in 9mm. The 2 best 9mm handguns out there IMO.

Value is definitely an issue, and it sounds like I definitely need to look into the P07. CZ is reputable too I assume? I'm going to look into them some more myself. As for the M&Ps I don't have any real gripes about my dad's, I just don't shoot it all that well, and everybody has one lol. Extra points for unique stuff too for me.

If ya want 9mm:

Glocks and S&Ws mentioned, Ruger SR9 or P95, or the Springfield.

Honestly though, I cannot say enough about FN's. Dad's FNP-9 is by far my favorite 9mm to shoot. His FNP-40 is my fav. .40 to shoot. Yeah, there's a trend here. Check them out.

Another FN fan... I'm liking the sounds of this thing. I will have to go check these out in person. That and the CZ for sure.

As for the range of 1911 models, from what I'm seeing there isn't a decent one in the $500-650 range, am I correct here? There are admittedly a ton though so maybe I've just not found them.

Go to ohio valley or a shooting range that let's you shoot their guns to see what feels best for you.

Personally my glock 27 .40 fits me perfect. Small when I carry and very comfortable to shoot.

This is probably very wise. I know about Ohio Valley in Lancaster, but I haven't been there in years. Any other suggestions within an hour or so of Pickerington?

Anywhere I might be able to rent the CZ and FN at the same time, they are two of the less common makes that I'd like to get a feel for.

This is probably very wise. I know about Ohio Valley in Lancaster, but I haven't been there in years. Any other suggestions within an hour or so of Pickerington?

Anywhere I might be able to rent the CZ and FN at the same time, they are too of the less common makes that I'd like to get a feel for.

Go to OVO when I can meet you and I'll let you shoot the FNP-9 and my SR9c for free. Just buy ammo.