Optics help

Diamonds

Hi there,

I'm looking for a scope that goes somewhere in the specs of 5-20x50 that costs between 500.00 - 900.00 that is good enough quality and will be used on a 308 gun.

What brands do you recommend? Or specific optics? And, brands to steer clear of?

I am considering:

Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40 @ 880.00

Nikon M308 4-16x42 @ 575.00

What about Millett? Are Weaver scopes any good? What about Zeiss? Bushnell? Redfield? Nikon? Vortex?

I am leaning towards giving the millett LRS a try.... what is their warranty like?

EDIT - looked up their warranty.. .are they owned by bushnell? The repair address is the same as Bushnell....

Millett is owned by Bushnell, and bushnell has a pretty good warranty program when it comes to higher end scopes. But I have heard they have bad CS for their cheaper line, simmons, tasco, lower end bushnell scopes. Vortex scopes are good and they have a great warranty program and CS. If your scope broke under normal conditions, take it to a Vortex dealer, they will swap it out if they have one in stock or you can mail it back.

For under 900 dollars and all you are looking to do is hit bowling balls 500 yds and under, I would have just gone with a Trijicon Accupoint TR20 3-9x40. You really don't need more than 9x magnification to shoot things out to 500 yds.

But I'm sure you will be happy with your Millett. It's a good scope.