Homebuilders?

Nate1647545505

There is no depends. Any true custom builder should work every system and finish around allowances. Tract home builders do not, because it is correct that they will just buy in bulk and work discounts. You should also never lose an allowance. If they give you a $7k allowance, just because you pick HVAC system B, your allowance should stay the same. My father was a custom builder for 30 years.

That being said, a good custom builder will take your wants and needs as well as your price range and work out some hard numbers before they break ground.

There's always a depends. I went with a custom builder. I didn't build. I remodeled and added a 2500 sq ft addition onto my house and bricked/stoned the house. What I was saying is that all the custom builders I interviewed would certainly install anything you gave them, but if you bought a shitty $1k tub from lowes because you didn't want to buy the more expensive Kohler tub, the plumber might not warranty the cheaper tub. Plumbing was really the only place I ran into this. Everything else was our choice. Our basement is a heated slab, and I've been happy we went with the boiler. We've tried our best to run it out of hot water and haven't been able to. Most builders are not going to be ok with the buyer showing up with all the lumber, brick, plumbing, electrical, etc sitting in the driveway and telling the builder to build them a house. I pushed the limit of any builder's patience with my attention to detail and overall expectations.

We were given some hard numbers and thankfully we were within 10% of the original estimate. At least 5% of that was stuff I just decided to add midway through (barrel vaulted bedroom ceiling with l.e.d. Starlit sky), etc. in the end, I wanted to have the best house in my neighborhood. We loved the lot, and basically spent what we originally paid for the house to add onto it and remodel.

There's always a depends. I went with a custom builder. I didn't build. I remodeled and added a 2500 sq ft addition onto my house and bricked/stoned the house. What I was saying is that all the custom builders I interviewed would certainly install anything you gave them, but if you bought a shitty $1k tub from lowes because you didn't want to buy the more expensive Kohler tub, the plumber might not warranty the cheaper tub. Plumbing was really the only place I ran into this. Everything else was our choice. Our basement is a heated slab, and I've been happy we went with the boiler. We've tried our best to run it out of hot water and haven't been able to. Most builders are not going to be ok with the buyer showing up with all the lumber, brick, plumbing, electrical, etc sitting in the driveway and telling the builder to build them a house. I pushed the limit of any builder's patience with my attention to detail and overall expectations.

We were given some hard numbers and thankfully we were within 10% of the original estimate. At least 5% of that was stuff I just decided to add midway through (barrel vaulted bedroom ceiling with l.e.d. Starlit sky), etc. in the end, I wanted to have the best house in my neighborhood. We loved the lot, and basically spent what we originally paid for the house to add onto it and remodel.

a thousand dollar tub is cheap??? dang balla balla!

a thousand dollar tub is cheap??? dang balla balla!

It's not cheap to me, but its cheap in terms of custom homes, and some of the bullshit designer Kohler tubs. I can't remember the last time I took a bath, but if,you're building an epic master bed/bath, you need a tub.

Some nice floor plans-

But- how realistic is this pricing?

Pretty realistic. You can upgrade everything (obviously) and will probably upgrade a lot to make the home much nicer. You shoud check out one of their models sometime...pretty surprising.

-Marc