Transfer case for 04 Cummins

WideOpenThrottle

I bought a 2004 2500 Cummins a few weeks back and the boy said it had a vacuum leak and the 4WD wasn't working but when you jack it up and spin the front wheels the transfer case makes a knock noise at about the same points of spin. I've looked for a used transfer case but apparently they are like gold; I can find the newer (08) Ford 271 transfer cases for $200. But the cheapest Dodge one I've found is $750 and $1000 Remaned.

My cousin who has several of same truck, owns a excavating company, said he use to get them for $350-$400 all day until he got all new 2011 2500's and hasn't had the issue.

So the question is, am I better off getting mine rebuilt or does anyone know someone who can get one cheaper?

In all honesty I have not... When I first tried to engage the 4wd It made a loud as hell metal on metal noise and the front two tires were not spinning or attempting to, so I gave up on that case. But I will when I get a minute to check it. Edited by WideOpenThrottle

• 3 weeks later...