Has anyone ever fought a school zone speeding ticket?

Ramsey

For the speed i was cited its a mandatory court visit in Deleware co. Has anyone ever fought the ticket because the signs wernt clear enough?

Who puts a school on a 45 mph road?

Also, does anyone know what the court cost will be for Deleware county and will that be in addition to the $185 ticket?

edit: I wasnt trying to speed, i was in my beater truck. I normally am very alert when it comes to school zones, I normally drive the 20 mph limit. I dont normally drive thru the Olentangy area during school hours and just didnt even notice the signs.

THE FLASHING LIGHTS DON'T CONSTITUTE THE STATUTE

Going to traffic court in UA 9/10 people were there for school zone speeding. It's total BS, if the lights aren't on the sign, or there ARE no signs, we're just supposed to magically know when we're supposed to drive at granny-speed.

Always beware during school hours, avoid school zones all together if possible. Good luck on the ticket, hire yourself a lawyer and maybe skate with 0 points and a fine.

http://i.imgur.com/Jm1YkrK.jpg

Thats pretty much how it went down. I was super calm and nice to the guy hoping he would write it for a lower amount. Nope, 31 over! He told me he could have given me reckless op and also could take me to jail.

Edited by Ramsey

What school on what road? Almost all olentangy schools in delaware county are located along 45 mph roads.

Some, as you mentioned, just say "20 MPH during restricted hours". and do not include a time zone. Others do.

Liberty on Home rd.

I guess those signs do include a time. But how are you to notice small text on just one sign cruising at 45. I thought home rd was 50 mph too.

You can get cited for a school zone violation even outside of those times listed on the signs.

The way the law is written, it says something along the lines of "whenever students are present". Essentially, you could get a school zone ticket during football games, etc..

For the speed i was cited its a mandatory court visit in Deleware co. Has anyone ever fought the ticket because the signs wernt clear enough?

Who puts a school on a 45 mph road?

I drive past a school daily on a 45 mph road down here.

...I slow down. :gabe:

Good luck to ya though. Prob won't be able to do a thing since it was a school zone.

You can get cited for a school zone violation even outside of those times listed on the signs.

The way the law is written, it says something along the lines of "whenever students are present". Essentially, you could get a school zone ticket during football games, etc..

Yes, and I've seen it happen in traffic court.

BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Good luck to ya though. Prob won't be able to do a thing since it was a school zone.

If I knew it was a school zone i would have slowed down. I drive a lot for work and usually through school zones and im always in a time crunch and never speed through these marked zones. I just dont normally drive in that area, let alone during school hours. That school building so big it might as well be a office or something.

I really dont care if I beat the ticket. I just want to make sure i dont get raped in court. I dont want the judge to get out his calculator and figure out i was doing 2.5 times the limit and throw the book at me.

I wasnt late or even in a hurry. I just was running a errand for an unscheduled event and went a different route to avoid the rt 23 mess yesterday.

Good luck to you, but 31 over means you were doing 51.

"Your honor, I didn't notice the school zone signs."

"Even then you'd still have been speeding."

"Your honor, I thought it was a 50mph road."

"Again, still would have been speeding."

That's essentially how it went down for me when I went to court back in the day. I think it was a 47 in a 25, speed trap in some dinky little town. I went to court, said I didn't see the change from 45mph to 25mph, and she essentially said, "So you're admitting that you were doing 47mph... in a 45." No leniency.

Good luck to you, but 31 over means you were doing 51.

"Your honor, I didn't notice the school zone signs."

"Even then you'd still have been speeding."

"Your honor, I thought it was a 50mph road."

"Again, still would have been speeding."

That's essentially how it went down for me when I went to court back in the day. I think it was a 47 in a 25, speed trap in some dinky little town. I went to court, said I didn't see the change from 45mph to 25mph, and she essentially said, "So you're admitting that you were doing 47mph... in a 45." No leniency.

I was clocked at 51, his gun could have been off a mph or two.

Looking up court cost this looks like its going to be at least $305.

I really dont care if I beat the ticket. I just want to make sure i dont get raped in court. I dont want the judge to get out his calculator and figure out i was doing 2.5 times the limit and throw the book at me.

I wasnt late or even in a hurry. I just was running a errand for an unscheduled event and went a different route to avoid the rt 23 mess yesterday.

I went through this exact situation earlier this year at the same intersection.

I was rolling through at 7:18AM and got popped going 50. I had just woken up and didn't realize the speed trap started at 7:15 not 7:30AM. Female Deputy got me and was very nice but stated she owed me the ticket since I had received a written warning in Cinci a month prior (who knew warnings were transferred throughout the state?!).

Wrote me the ticket, stated I had to go to court. I called the prosecutor, Beth Mitune (sp) to explain the situation and told her how inconvenient going to Delaware County court was for me and asked if I could simply pay the fine. She granted me a little leniency since the ticket was time stamped 4 minutes after the school zone took effect and allowed me to pay the fine over the phone and did not make me go to court. . I have not had a ticket (in Ohio) in the past 2 years so I was allowed to take a remedial online driving course to 'hide' the 2 points from the DMV and my insurance. Worked out for me and I only paid the fine.

I also called because I was sure even though the cop didn't write it as a reckless op that because of the speed over the limit I would be charged with it and get 4 points rather than 2. I would suggest calling like I did and ask to make sure that this is a 2pt moving violation and see if you can simply pay the ticket and avoid having to go to court. Can't hurt.

-Marc

• Upvote 1

I went through this exact situation earlier this year at the same intersection.

I was rolling through at 7:18AM and got popped going 50. I had just woken up and didn't realize the speed trap started at 7:15 not 7:30AM. Female Deputy got me and was very nice but stated she owed me the ticket since I had received a written warning in Cinci a month prior (who knew warnings were transferred throughout the state?!).

Wrote me the ticket, stated I had to go to court. I called the prosecutor, Beth Mitune (sp) to explain the situation and told her how inconvenient going to Delaware County court was for me and asked if I could simply pay the fine. She granted me a little leniency since the ticket was time stamped 4 minutes after the school zone took effect and allowed me to pay the fine over the phone and did not make me go to court. . I have not had a ticket (in Ohio) in the past 2 years so I was allowed to take a remedial online driving course to 'hide' the 2 points from the DMV and my insurance. Worked out for me and I only paid the fine.

I also called because I was sure even though the cop didn't write it as a reckless op that because of the speed over the limit I would be charged with it and get 4 points rather than 2. I would suggest calling like I did and ask to make sure that this is a 2pt moving violation and see if you can simply pay the ticket and avoid having to go to court. Can't hurt.

-Marc

This is exactly what i was hoping to hear. I will call Monday morning and see what i can do. Thanks.

I dont think i have had a speeding ticket in ohio in like 5 years, I had one just over a year ago in South Carolina.

This is exactly what i was hoping to hear. I will call Monday morning and see what i can do. Thanks.

I dont think i have had a speeding ticket in ohio in like 5 years, I had one just over a year ago in South Carolina.

Good luck man. I was just honest and told them I would be happy to pay the fine and that I wasn't trying to get it lowered etc. It was my fault for not paying attention and I got popped. I just didn't want to throw away even more money on court costs/lawyer etc nor did I want a reckless. They were cool.

-Marc

Its honestly just easier to suck it up and pay it. Probably cheaper to.

I think he is really just trying to make sure he isn't charged with a Reckless Op and try to avoid the unnecessary court costs...just like I did.

I was speeding regardless of the limit being 20MPH for school or 45MPH like usual. I was in the wrong and only wanted to cover my ticket. No need to pay all the additional shit and have a RO too.

-Marc

I think he is really just trying to make sure he isn't charged with a Reckless Op and try to avoid the unnecessary court costs...just like I did.

I was speeding regardless of the limit being 20MPH for school or 45MPH like usual. I was in the wrong and only wanted to cover my ticket. No need to pay all the additional shit and have a RO too.

-Marc

this.