Porsche Club event. I rode in a Carrera GT at Mid OH with Mike Valentine

vw151

So..... Macy and I went up to Mid-OH on Saturday to see my brother in law drive his M3 at the track. The event was very similar to our track days. They ran sessions that were broke up based on driver skill.

So... to get to the interesting part. There was a little organization called taste of the track set up there to let the small amount of spectators get a ride on the track for $25 with the instructors. Unfortunately Kirk (my brother in law) was not in a high enough skill level to take passengers yet.

Anyway, Macy and I signed up for a ride. She rode in a silver Porsche boxter and I happened to inquire if I could ride with Mike Valentine (of Valentine 1 radar detectors) who brought his Porsche Carrera GT. Yes this is the $440,000 600hp porsche designed to compete with the Ferrari Enzo. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds 0-100 in 6.8 seconds.

So we got to ride about 10 laps each. There are pictures below of cars around the paddock, Kirk's blue M3 on track and of course the Carrera GT and Macy going through the carousel.

The Carrera GT was violently fast and stopped like nothing I'd ever been in with it's carbon ceramic brakes. Mike was a pretty good driver and had the car fairly loose in nearly every corner. It was downright frightening but I would go again in a heart beat. The event did not allow lap timers but to give you an idea of how fast we were going, Mike says he usually runs low 1:40s at Mid-OH in that car. Being a passenger and on 4 wheels was very different from riding the track on a bike.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_5515.jpg

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5528.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

IMG_5565.jpg

IMG_5566.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5570.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5572.jpg

IMG_5588.jpg

IMG_5589.jpg

IMG_5590.jpg

IMG_5591.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5597.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

[

IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/vw151/Mid%20OH%20April%2018th%202009/IMG_5600.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5628.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg

IMG_5631.jpg

Car guys are funny to watch. They all get side by side and then brake to go single file into the turns... If I did a car event, I'd buy an old 944 and rub others going deep into the turns...

Some great cars are usually seen there during the events. The last cool one I saw was the guy with the DB9. Absolutley a great sounding car.

By the way, just to one up ya, we get to do the full driving school next Monday after the STT event. :grin:

This whole thing was just sort of right place right time for me. It was free for us to get in and hang around the track and watch my brother in law. It was $25 to ride with an instructor. I really wanted to get Macy (my girlfriend) in a car so she could see what it was like out there so we did, but then I wanted to too and it just so happened Mike Valentine was an instructor that had time to do it.

I'm not sure if you could easily just walk into this place for an event. The Mid-OH guys at the gate were giving me shit saying I should have a season pass to be able to get in and watch. I said I was there to hang out with my brother in law who was driving and I had ridden up from Columbus. They ended up letting me in. I guess you just need to be persistent, but in actuality you aren't supposed to be allowed in. On the other hand, last year at track days I had buddies up there helping out that weren't riding. Not really sure what the protocol is there.

In the Carrera GT we certainly were not following people into turns single file. We were getting up there asses and coming out of the corners passing them, it was kinda scary when he'd make a pass in a place like thunder valley because it would put us off line for the next turn. I was in a session with all instructors though. They do wave each other by though when one car/driver is clearly faster than another. I watched a 944 turbo spin out right in front of us coming into the keyhole.

Agreed 944 turbo is probably the cheapest and most effective cars you could get out there. Personally I'm partial to the 914. For some reason I've just always loved those things. Especially if you can get one and put a flat 6 in it. 200hp in something like that would just be fast. For now I'll just stick to motorcycles though. I really enjoy the feel of the bike compared to the car. That and running a car at the track seems that it's substantially more expensive.

Edited by vw151

I am surprised by the times. I turn 1:48 up there in my 1991 miata which is almost a spec miata (just need the cage and to strip about 100 pounds out.) If anyone wants to check out some more car racing there, NASA runs great events there and there are no hassles entering as a spectator. Also, as a bonus it is FREE to all to spectate. You will see some great racing and driving. I ran a full schedule last season but am only running a limited season this year.

If I am there I can give anyone a ride, all you need is a snell rated helmet past 1995.

I am surprised by the times. I turn 1:48 up there in my 1991 miata which is almost a spec miata (just need the cage and to strip about 100 pounds out.) If anyone wants to check out some more car racing there, NASA runs great events there and there are no hassles entering as a spectator. Also, as a bonus it is FREE to all to spectate. You will see some great racing and driving. I ran a full schedule last season but am only running a limited season this year.

If I am there I can give anyone a ride, all you need is a snell rated helmet past 1995.

My guess is that you are a better driver than him if you run 1:48 in a miata spec car. Like anything though. Eventually the lap times have a lot more to do with the driver than the car, I bet I'd turn slower laps on a CBR1000RR than I would on my monster cause it would scare the daylights out of me. Could be wrong though.

Edited by vw151

My guess is that you are a better driver than him if you run 1:48 in a miata spec car. Like anything though. Eventually the lap times have a lot more to do with the driver than the car, I bet I'd turn slower laps on a CBR1000RR than I would on my monster cause it would scare the daylights out of me. Could be wrong though.

AWW shucks. Thanks for the compliment. Don't think I am that good considering that the top Spec Miata guys are running 1:45s at least. However, my car is 200 pounds heavier and I am , ahem, heavier by 40 plus pounds. My miata is like a Ninja 250, the perfect track vehicle. I am a firm believer in learning on a vehicle with no power as you will learn to rail corners like nothing you can imagine. My miata hits 110 +/- 3 mph on the back straight but doesn't have to slow much below 75 to take turn 6 at the end of the back straight. It is a ton of fun and since I am just getting back into bikes as well (understanding wife) I may have to take the 600rr to a track day just to learn how to be a better rider.

Funny thing is my car makes less than 116 HP and weighs 2465 with me in it an fuel. The 2004 cbr600rr is supposedly over 100 hp at the rear wheel and weighs much less. Intense.

Edited by mattm

AWW shucks. Thanks for the compliment. Don't think I am that good considering that the top Spec Miata guys are running 1:45s at least. However, my car is 200 pounds heavier and I am , ahem, heavier by 40 plus pounds. My miata is like a Ninja 250, the perfect track vehicle. I am a firm believer in learning on a vehicle with no power as you will learn to rail corners like nothing you can imagine. My miata hits 110 +/- 3 mph on the back straight but doesn't have to slow much below 75 to take turn 6 at the end of the back straight. It is a ton of fun and since I am just getting back into bikes as well (understanding wife) I may have to take the 600rr to a track day just to learn how to be a better rider.

Funny thing is my car makes less than 116 HP and weighs 2465 with me in it an fuel. The 2004 cbr600rr is supposedly over 100 hp at the rear wheel and weighs much less. Intense.

The old fight between lightweight underpowered cars vs. heavy high powered cars is one of my favorites. Reminds me of the old Mini Coupers vs. the Corvettes.

No less, riding in that Carrera GT with Mike Valentine was not smooth, it's my first time going around a track on 4 wheels so I'm not sure what to expect and how it is supposed to go. I'm sure its vastly different between a 116hp miata and a 612hp Porsche. I'm not sure what kind of lap times that car could turn in the hands of a seasoned race driver. I'd think it'd be substantially faster than a spec miata though. Hard to say. Probably varies a lot from track to track. He was hitting 155mph in the back straight, so you must be making up a lot of time in the corners.

Either way, I can tell you he is an instructor at a Porsche club event. I guess that makes him a good driver.

Lap times are interesting. Consider this

Champ Car - 1:12

Wera/AMA 600cc superbikes 1:31ish

Fast guys in advanced on a track day 1:40s

My buddy on a 1098s in advance 1:46

another buddy on a ducati 900 supersport 1:45

you in your miata 1:48

Mike valentine in a Carrera GT 1:40s

Really fast superbike guys mid 1:20s

Not sure what it means, but it is what it is. If I can break into the 1:40s at all this year on my GSX-R750 I'll be happy. We'll see.

Edited by vw151