Too Poor To Drive

zeitgeist57

I stopped to help a woman who was broke down on the highway one day, it was sleeting, rush hour and she was stranded( this was 20 years ago) so cell phones were a rarity. I asked her if she had a spare as the right rear was flat, she argued her car didn't come with a spare, I talked her into opening the trunk and low and behold...... A spare under the floor panel, then she said she didn't know how to change it anyhow.

Dumbass me offered while she sat in her Accord with it running to stay warm, I got it changed, put the flat and jack in the trunk, closed the trunk, she threw it in drive and floored it, I thought..... That was a nice "thanks", so, not only do they not know how to change the spare, they lack manners too.

Looking back, that's pretty damn funny, I still will help stranded women, I would hope someone would do the same for my mom/wife/sister.

I agree, and it's not just women. I stopped to help a college age couple when I was in my early twenties, they had a flat and He couldn't get the lugs off. "They just keep spinning and don't come off?"

I bent down, flipped the lug wrench over and popped off the hubcap with the fake lugs on it and changed the tire.

Part of me felt bad for him for being so mechanically inept, but the other part of me wanted to give his girl my number, lol. ( hey, I was like 22!)

This is mind boggling to me. I got my temporary license on my 15.5 birthday and exactly 6 months to the day later I got my license at 16.

Hard to believe how long ago that was. Getting old.

And to talk about generational debt, if kids weren't so fucking lazy playing video games now maybe they could get a job and pay for their own car. I know, sounds crazy.

Times have definitely changed. Cell phones are allowing for much greater access to the world around without leaving the house. Games are getting much better (but they are still games).

I was blown away earlier this year when I told my students about buying the dragster, they asked my why I didn't just get a video game of it. It would be cheaper and much safer the just play it in a video game instead of doing it for real. This wasn't a joke. I thought they were kidding at first. But today is a much different mentality than even I thought. Now, my kids are the computer nerds, not to auto tech wrenching type kids.

Another difference I see sometimes is parents in their desire to have responsible kids set goals the kids think are unattainable. Or sometimes are unreasonable. For a high school kid to have a job where they can pay for their gas, insurance, maintenance, cell phone, etc... The kids decide it's easier to not have nice things. Or you have the chicken and the egg problem of needing a job to get a car, and needing a car to get a job. Not to mention, having a job cuts into their social time/video game time. It gets much easier to say fuck-it and ride the bus.