F1 @ COTA

Scotty2Hotty

You keep answering your own confusion. F1 is basically just reality TV that happens to involve "racing" expensive cars, and every show needs a villain. Subconsciously, impulsively, instinctively, that's Vettel. He's the stereotypical cocky blonde kid from every '80s movie ever.*

*At least, in my version of reality, he is.

The thing is, Vettel isn't cocky. You want cocky? Look at Hammy when he was winning. Alonso was also a cocky bastard when he was on top. Vettel's got nothing on them when it comes to self-entitled douchebags.

If Vettel were the type that started treating wins like they should be handed to him, I'd be the first to jump ship. He's fourth (third?) overall in all-time wins in F1, and yet, every win he thanks the team and you can hear the joy in his voice. He knows that every win is earned, and that he would not be a 4-time F1 champ without the team. When he clinched this year's title he got down on his knees and thanked the car (and therefore the team behind it). Think hammy would do that after 4 championships? Hell no.

It's these reasons why I'm a Vettel fan. There are a lot of douchebags in sports, but Vettel isn't one of them in my opinion.

Though if you want to see fanboy-hyperbole from me, let's discuss Adrian Newey.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another episode of the Vettel show.

In other news,

-- Kovalainen continued his streak of finishing out of the points (62 I think I read). Valsecchi is not amused (apparently Heikki had no KERS, but meh)

-- Webber shocks crowd by actually passing Hamilton, but then true to form failed to put together a successful run against Grosjean

-- Grosjean is the new Kimi?

-- Hamilton gets a new tub and is quick to blame the old tub for everything bad that's happened recently

-- Sutil wrecks himself, blames Maldonado

-- Valtteri Butt-ass gets his first points, and there is much rejoicing in the Williams camp. Massa is not amused.

Anything else?

I agree. My other worry is the proposed track further west (New Mexico? I forget) making too many in the US. Three tracks in the US would likely mean Bernie would rotate the tracks each year like the Germany Grand Prix. That would mean less profits for all of the tracks. Let's hope Bernie can find room in the schedule for two US tracks.

Some folks in Tucson are trying to do just this, I think it's what your referring to. They keep spinning it up but it doesn't seem to be taking. A friend of mine who lives there said they had a hell of a time trying to build a baseball stadium and doesn't think they could pull off anything of this caliber, I hope he's wrong.

I maintain my steadfastness against the NJ deal, Newark is a shithole and though I'm sure they will try clean it up it's just not a place I feel an F1 race should be held.

My buddy and I are debating wether to take our cars to Laguna Seca or COTA this spring, I will be happy to drive either so long as it's the Full Course at COTA, I want to drive the real deal.

Another episode of the Vettel show.

In other news,

-- Kovalainen continued his streak of finishing out of the points (62 I think I read). Valsecchi is not amused (apparently Heikki had no KERS, but meh)

-- Webber shocks crowd by actually passing Hamilton, but then true to form failed to put together a successful run against Grosjean

-- Grosjean is the new Kimi?

-- Hamilton gets a new tub and is quick to blame the old tub for everything bad that's happened recently

-- Sutil wrecks himself, blames Maldonado

-- Valtteri Butt-ass gets his first points, and there is much rejoicing in the Williams camp. Massa is not amused.

Anything else?

I'm glad Massa got a ride next year. Though, that's mostly out of pity. He was a great driver until he took that spring to the face.

While I appreciate Vettel's pronouncement that "these things do not last", it also makes me think he might not be 100% confident in next year's car. I certainly am not. Renault's current engines aren't the most powerful, and RBR seems to have bad luck with them. I think Vettel's getting the most he can out of this year.

The thing with Webber is that he's a great driver. But he's surrounded by exceptional drivers.. I think if RBR wasn't running a one-stop strategy, and wasn't advertising their attacks over open radio, he would have passed Ro-Gro earlier.

Ro-Gro is such a changed driver from last year. He was a running joke in my house "Oh Ro-Gro!", but this year he's kept cool and is proving to be a pretty good driver. I think he'll make a good #1 at Lotus.

To be fair, 4th this weekend for Hammy is better than he has been able to pull off lately. I'll give him that bit. But he and Mercedes still can't turn Q1 pace into race pace. That needs to be addressed. The head of Mercedes F1 needs to have a long discussion with the chassis team.

Botas was looking very good out there. It would suck huge for Massa to end up 2nd fiddle again. But Botas is really new. I think Williams will bring Massa in as Primary and encourange him to help develop Botas.

Some folks in Tucson are trying to do just this, I think it's what your referring to. They keep spinning it up but it doesn't seem to be taking. A friend of mine who lives there said they had a hell of a time trying to build a baseball stadium and doesn't think they could pull off anything of this caliber, I hope he's wrong.

I maintain my steadfastness against the NJ deal, Newark is a shithole and though I'm sure they will try clean it up it's just not a place I feel an F1 race should be held.

My buddy and I are debating wether to take our cars to Laguna Seca or COTA this spring, I will be happy to drive either so long as it's the Full Course at COTA, I want to drive the real deal.

Having only driven those tracks in video games, I'd go to COTA. Laguna Seca is great, and has real history, but as a driver I'd really only be looking foward to the Corkscrew. But COTA is a great track from start to finish. You get Laguna Seca's elevation changes with Suzuka's esses and Korea's(?) undulating straight, with Spa's 4-apex sweeper. It's no contest in my book.

Oh I forgot to mention.. McLaren dumping Perez is moronic. I can only think, judging by Perez's driving style, that his personality isn't working with McLaren's highly structured and controlling team atmosphere. Otherwise, I can't see why they would drop him. He's repeatedly shown himself to be at Button's level. It sucks that this was announced so late in the year since it'll be nigh impossible to get a good ride for next year.

Oh I forgot to mention.. McLaren dumping Perez is moronic. I can only think, judging by Perez's driving style, that his personality isn't working with McLaren's highly structured and controlling team atmosphere. Otherwise, I can't see why they would drop him. He's repeatedly shown himself to be at Button's level. It sucks that this was announced so late in the year since it'll be nigh impossible to get a good ride for next year.

This. While Button is a world champion, he's obviously not a competitive enough driver. I think Perez suffers from the Ro-Gro anxiety of years past. He needs a good team chief to help him calm down and start racing to win 60 laps, not just beating the driver ahead of him on that particular lap. He's had bad luck with an inferior car this year, but I think whoever picks him up will see some success.

I've got about 1000 pictures to filter through from my DSLR, but here's few from the weekend from my FB account

Is 10:30 too early for a beer??

1395247_759493094067067_1295716931_n.jpg

Fog on Friday morning, which delayed P1 for about 1/2 hour

1465325_10151726501736497_1315132771_n.jpg

At the Biergarten

1471934_10151726724891497_660633666_n.jpg

11th F1 Race with my Dad and Brother

734441_10151731175841497_95494138_n.jpg

Vettel Aftermath

1459282_10151733401846497_2069735329_n.jpg

If you go to a track day you get the real deal at COTA. I don't even think there is a way to cut that track down so its shorter. I know Laguna would be bad fucking ass to race, but I would go to a track day ASAP at COTA if I had the chance/car for it.

If you go to a track day you get the real deal at COTA. I don't even think there is a way to cut that track down so its shorter. I know Laguna would be bad fucking ass to race, but I would go to a track day ASAP at COTA if I had the chance/car for it.

There is an 'alternate' track for the V8 Supercars (in black)

http://racingready.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/CoTA-short-track-configuration-2.3-miles-for-V8-Supercars.jpg

Had a great time and have some pics/videos to upload too. The vintage formula cars were really really awesome. We were on turn 5 this year, good views but will probably try the other side of the track next year.

Took a look at my pics and vids last night, but most of them are not great resolution. I have no idea how my pic res got switched to such a low res, but whatevs. Everything is in 3D and high res when you're there. ;) Who knows, I may upload a couple later but I'm betting people can see a lot better elsewhere.

Great weekend. Much hotter than it was originally supposed to be. Especially, Sunday. Shit, I wish I'd brought some shorts. haha

Be interesting to see and hear the difference next year in the cars.

Took a look at my pics and vids last night, but most of them are not great resolution. I have no idea how my pic res got switched to such a low res, but whatevs. Everything is in 3D and high res when you're there. ;) Who knows, I may upload a couple later but I'm betting people can see a lot better elsewhere.

Great weekend. Much hotter than it was originally supposed to be. Especially, Sunday. Shit, I wish I'd brought some shorts. haha

Be interesting to see and hear the difference next year in the cars.

The silent pitstops will be odd..

Added some more shots to the album --> https://www.facebook.com/kale.bushmeyer/media_set?set=a.10151734378301497.1073741844.658051496&type=1

1417719_10151736136361497_7296649_o.jpg

1421142_10151736136256497_1115637427_o.jpg

964990_10151736136086497_1205883656_o.jpg

Pitbull concert after the race

1403200_10151736136976497_203071404_o.jpg

1462600_10151736136816497_159561677_o.jpg

I had 1 too many of the Lupulus (8.5%!! :woohoo: )

942223_10151726706076497_570649228_n.jpg

Another cool shot by the tower

1454822_10151727204936497_1517240854_n.jpg

The track is very accessible and you can pretty much sit at any corner you want to watch. This was T18-19 during the 2nd Practice Session, and you can see Turn 1 in the background

1461162_10151726889766497_1891579849_n.jpg

1474528_10151726911081497_727519287_n.jpg

1472905_10151727190281497_1469044766_n.jpg

Our view for the race

1463892_10151728855856497_926519645_n.jpg

Our friend had a hotspot on her phone, so we were able to run the live timing app on the Ipad and keep up nicely with the race

1012735_10151728860621497_2112592276_n.jpg

Oh yea, and I met David Coulthard and got his Herbie Hancock

1455009_10151729575396497_375237825_n.jpg

Race day

734441_10151731175841497_95494138_n.jpg

Met up with some other autocrossers from other places in the US after the race for a group shop

1476677_10151732190476497_341025717_n.jpg

Couple of very quick clips taken from Turn 5. Let me know if the clips don't work and I'll just switch them to unlisted. It's only an HTC EVO phone and my res settings where botched. Didn't realize it till later. Turn it up loud! ;)

http://youtu.be/d2KfrBjvwKg

http://youtu.be/Pvp0Ell_e2M