Looking for someone to lay some hardwood flooring.

Diamonds

Hi guys,

I am looking to cover my first floor in hardwood.

1. Does anyone have Justin "truckins" number. he laid some tile for me a few years back and I lost his number.

2. Or, do you know anyone who will take a medium sized job 600-700 SQ FT for 2.00-2.50 a Sq foot? I assume the standard going rate is 2.50-3.00.

Thanks, all referrals appreciated.

Edited by Diamonds

Beyond laminate they have the "engineered" hard woods which is what I would go after.

However I have laid both types, real hardwood, takes longer, laminate, any one can do that, and then engineered hard wood a combination of the two.

Really its about having the right tools and taking your time, a proper pneumatic floor nailer, electric mitre saw, and some misc hand tools and patience and its not to bad. Put down your under layments, measure your gaps around the walls for your edge moldings and "float" or "expansion" in the floor and square nail the edges and then you're off.

Bob what kind of flooring are you using? You already purchased the material and or have a picture of the room? My business is slowing down on the golf side, I may be able to work with ya.

Have you looked into laminate flooring instead? if you have pets it will hold up 10x better than actual hard wood floors. Also laminate is much easier to install yourself.

do not listen to this guy, doesn't know what he is talking about.

laminate flooring once scratched is junk, when wood is scratched it is solid so it would just be aged, plus it can be refinished.

I have laid wood floors and it isn't that hard. I have also stained and finished.

I got some manual (non-pneumatic) nailer and it wasn't bad. took 5 hours to lay 250 sf by myself. One coat of stain drys over night then 2 coats of lacquer. one day to dry each coat.

then again you can buy the prefinished stuff

or have a picture of the room? My business is slowing down on the golf side, I may be able to work with ya.

here's what I am working with.

I am looking to do 3/4 inch Brazilian cherry (2.25 or 3.25 wide). I have about 400 SQ feet to cover. I was planning on getting the wood from lumber liquidators @ 4.16 per square foot unless you know of a cheaper source.

I am DEAD SET on doing 3/4 inch thick wood.

heres the wood

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Brazilian-Cherry-R.L.-Colston-BC2S/10001404

And there is also this @ 5.50.. IS BELLAWOOD that much better?

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Select-Brazilian-Cherry-BELLAWOOD-HUSBC3SV/10003753

here is a pic of my floor plan, I want to cover the 295, 50, and 51 marked areas. it will be about 400 sq feet. So I figured I'd order 440 sq ft.

1474405_10102044157124764_83258033_n.jpg

let me know how much you would charge to do 400 feet. its a room, a hallway, and a laundry room.

do not listen to this guy, doesn't know what he is talking about.

Thanks for that valuable input, but everything i have read and heard from other people states that laminate flooring resists scratching better. I do agree that once it does actually get scratched that it would be junk, but its harder to scratch laminate than it is hardwood floor.

here's what I am working with.

I am looking to do 3/4 inch Brazilian cherry (2.25 or 3.25 wide). I have about 400 SQ feet to cover. I was planning on getting the wood from lumber liquidators @ 4.16 per square foot unless you know of a cheaper source.

I am DEAD SET on doing 3/4 inch thick wood.

heres the wood

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Brazilian-Cherry-R.L.-Colston-BC2S/10001404

And there is also this @ 5.50.. IS BELLAWOOD that much better?

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Select-Brazilian-Cherry-BELLAWOOD-HUSBC3SV/10003753

here is a pic of my floor plan, I want to cover the 295, 50, and 51 marked areas. it will be about 400 sq feet. So I figured I'd order 440 sq ft.

1474405_10102044157124764_83258033_n.jpg

let me know how much you would charge to do 400 feet. its a room, a hallway, and a laundry room.

Cool - What is down on the floor now? different hard wood, Tile, Carpet?

I will text you (price) that wood from lumbar liquidators is GOOD wood :). Also are you buying it pre finished? Looks like they have options for both ways. I like the 3.25 wide boards, seems the wider stuff is more "trendy" in the current climate.

Cool - What is down on the floor now? different hard wood, Tile, Carpet?

I will text you (price) that wood from lumbar liquidators is GOOD wood :). Also are you buying it pre finished? Looks like they have options for both ways. I like the 3.25 wide boards, seems the wider stuff is more "trendy" in the current climate.

Carpet is everywhere except for the laundry room. it is linoleum.

the wood is prefinished. I like the 3.25 stuff too... BUT, I already have 2.25 stuff in my kitchen (same wood). I wanted to keep it unified. THOUGH, the kitchen wood doesn't touch the new wood (so you technically couldn't tell the difference).

Edited by Diamonds

If you haven't looked their yet Menards might be a possible option for you. They have a pretty decent sale going on now through the 8th for home improvement products.

seems to be about 7.00 a sq foot at menards.

http://www.menards.com/main/flooring/hardwood-flooring/hardwood-flooring/prefinished-brazilian-cherry-solid-hardwood-flooring-3-4-x-3-1-4/p-1649464-c-12448.htm

What's under your carpet in your basement? I'm assuming concrete and unless you want to float your hardwood you do not want to put real hardwood over concrete. Engineered hardwood or laminate would be the "proper" choice.

by downstairs I meant first floor.

What's under your carpet in your basement? I'm assuming concrete and unless you want to float your hardwood you do not want to put real hardwood over concrete. Engineered hardwood or laminate would be the "proper" choice.

100% Correct you would want to put a 6 mill poly down for a Vapor Barrier, then engineered sub flooring like this

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/52736_4.jpg]

or standard sub flooring nailed to the concrete (I would do the engineered although it is slightly more expensive), then your under lament then nail the flooring to it.

Thanks for that valuable input, but everything i have read and heard from other people states that laminate flooring resists scratching better. I do agree that once it does actually get scratched that it would be junk, but its harder to scratch laminate than it is hardwood floor.

so you heard or read, but haven't experienced it yourself :yuno:

i disagree that it is harder to scratch one versus the other.