Goodbye, Holden

copperhead

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-11/holden-to-cease-manufacturing-operations-in-australia-by-2017/5150034

Australia's entire car making industry and tens of thousands of jobs have been thrown into doubt by Holden's decision to close down.

Nearly 3,000 Holden workers are set to lose their jobs over the next four years as the iconic manufacturer winds down its Australian manufacturing operations.

The decision has prompted Toyota - the only other car manufacturer in Australia - to warn it will put "unprecedented pressure" on its ability to build cars in the country too.

General Motors Holden has announced the company will stop making vehicles by the end of 2017 - ending 65 years of building cars in Australia.

The decision means 2,900 people will lose their jobs - 1,600 from the manufacturing plant in South Australia and 1,300 in Victoria.

WOW! Wonder what kind of impact that will have on the Australian V8 Supercar series. They are predominately Holden i believe.

Mercedes and Nissan joined the series this past year along with Ford who's been there for quite some time. Not sure if the writing was on the wall before that happened or not but it will still be a 3 make series even without Holden.

Sounds to me like there're external factors since Toyota is saying it's having issues too. IIRC, Austrailia has rather high import taxes, and their current government is making a bit of a mess of things overall.

There are a lot of forces at work, a big one is the labor for making demands that are leading to the loss of their jobs.

I'm pretty sure Ford is pretty much pulling the plug in Austraila too, but let's just bash on GM since that's the easy thing to do...

Mercedes and Nissan joined the series this past year along with Ford who's been there for quite some time. Not sure if the writing was on the wall before that happened or not but it will still be a 3 make series even without Holden.

Ahh didn't realize Merc and Nissan joined in this year.

There are a lot of forces at work, a big one is the labor for making demands that are leading to the loss of their jobs.

I'm pretty sure Ford is pretty much pulling the plug in Austraila too, but let's just bash on GM since that's the easy thing to do...

That article makes it sound like Holden and Toyota were the only manufacturers that actually build cars in Aussie land. Where does Ford build their AU spec cars like the Falcon?

That article makes it sound like Holden and Toyota were the only manufacturers that actually build cars in Aussie land. Where does Ford build their AU spec cars like the Falcon?

http://bangshift.com/blog/friday-excuse-to-go-home-early-and-drink-ford-kills-all-manufacturing-in-australia-including-falcon-2016-is-zero-hour.html

Yeah but Ford isn't killing an entire brand.

Olds

Saturn

Pontiace

Saab

Opel (?)

GM - the touch of death

Good thing the US GUBMNT finally sold off the last of their bailout stock - to the tune of what, >$10B loss?

WOW! Wonder what kind of impact that will have on the Australian V8 Supercar series. They are predominately Holden i believe.

True, but Holden vs Ford in V8 is like Ferarri vs Mercedes in F1.....the rivalry has been there for years, and it will be weird without them in the series anymore. Whincup and Lowndes will surely find a good drive once they've gone.....

But if you form a Union and expect to be paid X amount then you job is secured........

Damn. The country that produces probably the coolest cars out there obviously did something terrible to ruin their automotive industry. This sounds like more than just recession problems.

a new hybrid monster that's called the Obamunion. it's was released in the US, but practices its reign of terror in Australia.... much like Godzilla was born in Japan, but seems to end up in New York to nom on buildings and shit.