99 Civic Si throwing code P1382

FourString

I got caught in the monsoon the other day, and the check engine light came on. The car developed a very quick stutter only when coming back on-throttle. Aside of that, it ran fine. I scanned it at both O'Reilly and Advance to find code P1392. This code comes back to Cylinder Position Sensor according to the database. I pulled the battery cable and let it reset. The car drove like nothing was wrong during the initial drive after. I shut it off to get fuel, started it back up, and the light was back on (along with the quick stutter on-throttle). I pulled the cable again, drove fine on initial drive again, and now the light is back on today. However, so far, no stutter.

Important note: I noticed a leak in the driver's side floorboard during the tsunami. It has never done this before, and I am now suspect that the windshield seal is crap (it was replaced before I bought the car). I am suspect that moisture is playing a key role in this CEL. I will have the windshield seal replaced next week.

I have basically no experience with diagnosing anything on this car since this is the only issue it has given me during the 6 years of ownership. If a component actually is failing, then what would be a handful of things for me to check? I am guessing that the distributor is the first place to look. I know that there are several experienced B-series guys on here who might have an opinion for me before I break out the tools on Christmas day looking for a failure (or water). I will have a scan done before I tear into it.

Thank you in advance.

Is it 1382 or 1392?

My resource at work said the same thing, but said that the code essentially means "no signal" from the Cylinder Position sensor. I don't know a lot about Honda's, but I would see if you can find some info on what the resistance should be on the sensor itself, or at least how to test it. If you haven't gotten an answer by tomorrow around 11 A.M when I head into work I'll open up a Haynes manual and see if I can find any specs or info on an accurate way to test it. I'm not sure if a cylinder position sensor is Honda's crankshaft position sensor or what, but I guess it could be possible water got up into the sensor and shorted something out, as far as I can tell those engines only use a Crankshaft/Cylinder Position sensor, but I could be wrong. If it is indeed sending no signal, I'm amazed the car still runs.

Is it 1382 or 1392?

My resource at work said the same thing, but said that the code essentially means "no signal" from the Cylinder Position sensor. I don't know a lot about Honda's, but I would see if you can find some info on what the resistance should be on the sensor itself, or at least how to test it. If you haven't gotten an answer by tomorrow around 11 A.M when I head into work I'll open up a Haynes manual and see if I can find any specs or info on an accurate way to test it. I'm not sure if a cylinder position sensor is Honda's crankshaft position sensor or what, but I guess it could be possible water got up into the sensor and shorted something out, as far as I can tell those engines only use a Crankshaft/Cylinder Position sensor, but I could be wrong. If it is indeed sending no signal, I'm amazed the car still runs.

It is P1382. The "no signal" is what threw me off as well. It was why I was originally suspect that the moisture is causing the issue. I don't jump to conclusions with cars anymore, though. Since the car has a distributor, I am suspect that it is the pickup failing, but I just don't know these cars quite like I know 4G63s or 13Bs. The cap and rotor are brand new OEM pieces (3 months old).

Pull off the distributor cap and take a look. I had the same error once and what had happened was that a screw had backed out from the distributor shaft and knocked around inside, dislodging the hunk of metal that triggers the camshaft position sensor. Amazingly, the car still ran pretty well, but the distributor was toast. Of course, that was an autozone reman and not a new OEM unit like yours, so ymmv.

Also, I don't know much about EKs, but on EFs and DAs the wet passenger floor is caused by the seal around the blower motor intake drying out (water leaks in through the cowl.)

And for what it's worth, there's a cylinder position sensor AND a camshaft position sensor, both in the distributor (one's a 1-tooth and the other's a 4-tooth, I think), and OBD-2 cars also have a crankshaft position sensor under the crank pulley. The ECU has so many ways to figure out the timing, it's ridiculous :)

And for what it's worth, there's a cylinder position sensor AND a camshaft position sensor, both in the distributor (one's a 1-tooth and the other's a 4-tooth, I think), and OBD-2 cars also have a crankshaft position sensor under the crank pulley. The ECU has so many ways to figure out the timing, it's ridiculous :)

JESUS. That's insane. Too many sensors lol

P1382: No signal in the Cylinder Position (CYP) sensor circuit.

its gonna be 1 of 3 things:

1. Bad distributor housing sensor

2. Open wire in the circuit (I would back track any past repairs/upgrades)

3. ECM

Solid reply. Is any one thing more common than the other?

I just read that replacing the distributor is the only way to fix an internal sensor as Honda apparently does not sell them separate.

I listed them from most common to least, BUT if the ECM got wet then I would start there, if not I'd lean towards a distributor, like I said double check to see if the car has had past repairs within that circuit.

what we've seen/replaced often was the distributor, if you have friend with the same distributor see if they'll let you swap it out.

Well, I can (cautiously) rule out #2 since I am the only person who has owned and worked on this car for the past six years. The car is nearly stock except for the suspension, and no repairs have been made to the car within the past two weeks (other than a brake line under the car).

I just ordered a new distributor for it, and I will put that in this weekend. If that doesn't fix it, then I will address the ECU and wiring. I will check the ECU for water evidence before I do anything as a precaution.

Thank you very much Craig, Greg, and Grant. I will report my findings this weekend after I install it.