AR front sight base

copperhead

I'm trying to do a dirt cheap build, which means running a standard front sight base to go with the magpul handguard that I've already got. Most barrels any more come with no gas block/FSB at all. All of the FSBs that I've seen for sale online don't seem to include the round plate that holds the drop in handguard in place. Am I missing something? Or should I just look harder for a barrel with one already on, or just say fuck it and spend the extra to get a low pro gas block and a rail?

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks a ton. Is that secured in any way, or just loose? And does it matter what front sight base/gas block I use?

They are not really secured in any way, unless you count the gas tube running through them. They just sit against the back of the FSB and the handguard presses into it. It all locks up tight when you put the handguard on, though. FSB choice shouldn't matter, as far as I know.

if you are doing a cheap build, just get a upper from PSA for 289 with BCG and CH. You will not be able to build it cheaper. Also, if you are looking to install a FSB on your own, you need a FSB pinning jig, drill the barrel for the pins, and it's a ton of work. The handguard end plate sits between the raised contour on the barrel right behind the gas port and the fsb. It is secured by the fsb and the barrel and the gas tube lines it up. I would just build an AR15 under 400 dollars. Just sell the extra parts you have.

PSA PTAC complete upper from palmetto state Armory 289

Frontier Armory complete polymer lower from Joebobs for 109

I think shipping is free for the lower.

if you are doing a cheap build, just get a upper from PSA for 289 with BCG and CH. You will not be able to build it cheaper. Also, if you are looking to install a FSB on your own, you need a FSB pinning jig, drill the barrel for the pins, and it's a ton of work. The handguard end plate sits between the raised contour on the barrel right behind the gas port and the fsb. It is secured by the fsb and the barrel and the gas tube lines it up. I would just build an AR15 under 400 dollars. Just sell the extra parts you have.

Ordered one of these a few weeks ago but they were $250 shipped couldn't pass it up as just a steel case plinker to throw on one of my spare lowers

Edited by Mahle

I'm building a pistol. Already have a pile of spare parts I picked up on sale over time. Just ordered a 10.5" FN barrel, clamp on fsb and gas tube for $180 shipped. Picked up a stripped blem upper from psa for $40, upper parts kit for $25, and have the handguard sitting around that I may have paid $30 for, don't remember. Already have a good bcg to drop in, so just need that cap and muzzle device and the upper is done. I'm sitting on a pile of lowers, have a couple parts kits, just need to decide what I'm doing with the buffer tube.

I'm building a pistol. Already have a pile of spare parts I picked up on sale over time. Just ordered a 10.5" FN barrel, clamp on fsb and gas tube for $180 shipped. Picked up a stripped blem upper from psa for $40, upper parts kit for $25, and have the handguard sitting around that I may have paid $30 for, don't remember. Already have a good bcg to drop in, so just need that cap and muzzle device and the upper is done. I'm sitting on a pile of lowers, have a couple parts kits, just need to decide what I'm doing with the buffer tube.

I have one of these I'm going to end up not using I'll sell you for $30 if you're interested

http://www.phase5tactical.com/products/ar15-m16/phase-5-ar15-pistol-buffer-tube-complete-assembly

Mike, I found one of the end pieces you were looking in my pile of AR parts. If you haven't ordered one, you can have this one. It is from my spikes rifle or the colt 6920.

The handguard cap? I've not ordered it yet. I'll take it off your hands if you don't mind, thanks.