Diesel fan bois come on in

caseyctsv

Help me understand why many of you want diesels. I have read many times how you guys wish such and such car was available with a diesel. I am considering a Q7 with a TDI and after running the numbers, with the premium on diesel fuel (4.17 a gallon today) the numbers do not work out in the diesels favor. I was actually pretty excited to look at one, what am I missing? At this point the 3.0t makes a ton more sense.

EPA MPG : Q7 TDI - 17/25

Q7 3.0t - 16/22

TDI's usually fair much better than rated while the gas counterparts fair much worse with the same usage. Real life tells a different story....

While test driving I found it very easy to get 28-30mpg on the freeway as 70mph in the Q7 TDI.

As mentioned above: Resale value is through the roof, although that usually favors the original buyer. IE: You can buy a TDI Q7 and sell it for more than you owe in a few years easily. Not something you can do with most SUV's.

Effortless towing as well...

I'm going back and forth on this decision currently. Towing is the big factor for me. Sadly some of the newer V6 models are capable of towing quite a bit of weight AND are really economical when not towing. Boring to drive I guess is the down side to that.

We're heavily looking at '11+ Cayenne V6's right now...and looking at '11+ Cayenne Turbo's. Not considering Cayenne Diesel at all.

Would consider X5 Diesel if I could find the right buy on one...I've bid on a couple at the sale recently and been dumb founded what they have gone for.

Because I dont care to do the research but would like to know. What is the price gap you are seeing between the 2 optioned the same? At what mileage do the 2 break even?

This is the part many forget to factor in. With the price difference and the fuel costs difference it can take some folks 8-10 years to break even.

I know a guy in Buffalo NY that runs his F250 on bio-diesel. I'm not sure what it would take to convert a German SUV, but he's paid off his truck and the bio-diesel manufacturing kit with the fuel savings. His father and him produce the bio-diesel for $1.60/ish per gallon (including $0.50/gallon from the restaurants). He was getting the oil for free in the beginning.

I know a guy in Buffalo NY that runs his F250 on bio-diesel. I'm not sure what it would take to convert a German SUV, but he's paid off his truck and the bio-diesel manufacturing kit with the fuel savings. His father and him produce the bio-diesel for $1.60/ish per gallon (including $0.50/gallon from the restaurants). He was getting the oil for free in the beginning.

I don't think you have to do any conversion. Biodiesel are meant so that you can run them in diesel cars without conversion. And it is able to be mixed with petrodiesel.

http://biodieseltutorial.utahbiodieselsupply.com/howitsmade/images/Making_Biodiesel.gif

This is the part many forget to factor in. With the price difference and the fuel costs difference it can take some folks 8-10 years to break even.

I also meant fuel cost vs mileage. Not so much price gap up front although it is a factor.

Example.

3.80 per gallon at 17mpg = 22 cents a mile

4.20 per gallon at 24 mpg = 18 cents a mile

I would think the reason to go for the diesel would be for the extra towing and fuel cost savings. If the fuel savings is not there then the upfront cost is harder to swallow. I also remember a couple years back when 93 pump gas was more than diesel. You will have to do the math. I just wanted to know the numbers the OP was playing with and maybe we could figure out how good of a fuel advantage the diesel would need to win over the gas engine.

I listed the EPA mileage numbers above and noticed reg unleaded was 3.30 / gallon today while diesel was 4.17. I need to check to see if the 3.0t requires premium which would impact this analysis. For what it's worth the tow ratings are the same and power is relatively close so those would not be deciding factors.

I think the "real world" versus EPA argument may be the piece I need to investigate. I was surprised to see the mileage numbers were so close. I am only looking at 2010+ as they rolled out a new 8-spd auto

Yeah not a fan of the difference between the q7 options... many other cars you look at its worth it though for the mileage...resale and dependability. Very interested in the future of diesel engines being offered from various manufactures. We currently have 3 diesel vehicles and within the next year or year and a half I hope to get one more.

. I was actually pretty excited to look at one, what am I missing? At this point the 3.0t makes a ton more sense.

EPA MPG : Q7 TDI - 17/25

Q7 3.0t - 16/22

You are probably looking at an older Q7 that doesn't have the latest updates.

The new TDi Q7 is rated at 19/28 and I've talked to owners that have averaged in the 30's on a long trip which is almost unheard of for an SUV of it's size. Even around town you should average mid-20's where the gas brother will be mid-teen's. It's a bigger difference than you think, not to mention towing and other benefits of diesel.

It also depends on your driving habits and route. If you aren't driving a lot then cost difference may not be worth it. But as others have pointed out, resale is a bit different on the diesel versions.

We are going to go look at a couple. I am afraid my wife will say the Q7 is too small. She thought the Acadia was too small and based on measurements, while it is larger on the outside it is smaller on the inside. I am trying to not have to get another suburban.

Diesel prices are also quite different around different parts of town. When I worked of Sawmill, I never got diesel there because it was always higher. Today diesel was 3.95 on the east side and I filled up on Saturday at 3.65. There are normally places to get a better deal just depends if its out of your way and unlike gas the differences tend to be larger.

I think the "real world" versus EPA argument may be the piece I need to investigate. I was surprised to see the mileage numbers were so close. I am only looking at 2010+ as they rolled out a new 8-spd auto

http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/q7 I used this site a ton last time i was in the market for a car that got good MPG. It's really good for getting real world data.

Also don't forget about UREA fluid required in many newer diesel SUVs. That's another $150 or so every 10-15k miles. Combine that with diesel being more expensive in Ohio than gas can make the gap closer even if you're running premium. I think the other thing you're seeing is that the 3.0T is more efficient than a V8 so they're closer in mileage.

Also don't forget about UREA fluid required in many newer diesel SUVs. That's another $150 or so every 10-15k miles. Combine that with diesel being more expensive in Ohio than gas can make the gap closer even if you're running premium. I think the other thing you're seeing is that the 3.0T is more efficient than a V8 so they're closer in mileage.

DEF isn't quite that expensive. Q7 holds around 6 gallons of DEF. Refilled every 10-15k miles depending on drive habit. At the good 'ole AZ it's $15 for 2.5 gallons. So most people shouldn't be spending anywhere near $150 on DEF every 10-15k.

DEF isn't quite that expensive. Q7 holds around 6 gallons of DEF. Refilled every 10-15k miles depending on drive habit. At the good 'ole AZ it's $15 for 2.5 gallons. So most people shouldn't be spending anywhere near $150 on DEF every 10-15k.

^This.

The DEF is not specific to Audi/VW and can be picked up just about anywhere cheaply. It's a very easy process to fill it as well that anybody can do.