Steel targets...

nurkvinny

I'm wanting firsthand info and reviews on steel targets you guys have used. Largest I'll be hitting them with is .45 out of a 1911. I want something I buy once and only need to reapply paint.

What brands or materials or websites did you order from?

Anyone looking to sell some?

I was shooting into a sheet of "some" thickness for years with 22's and some 9's. The 9 made tiny dimples. Since shooting a lot of 45, I can poke a hole if I hit the same spot 8-10 times... :)

I need to upgrade. I don't mind spending some cash, but need opinions.

Widener's has good prices on AR500 steel. I've been shooting at the same targets for many years, now, mostly with mild steel core 7.62x54r. It barely knicks the stuff. After each range trip I simply re-apply some flat white latex house paint.

The trick to these targets, though, is how you hang them. The plates usually come with holes in them, but the problem is that when bullets hit the target and splatter, the hot metal will tear through steel bolts and cables very quickly. I ended up having to weld chain links on the back of the targets to hang them. This keeps the attachment points behind the "plane of destruction."

I have no issues with leather or chains.

Though, I first used plastic straps and they got eaten..

Might be because my targets are smaller. I have the 5" circles and squares. 3-4 shots with a .308 at 100 yds and the cables were done.