How many RWD sports cars made it through winter?

AndonD454

The way I see it - front-wheel drive cars weren't really even widely in existence (apart from a few outliers) until around 1980. So for nearly 100 years, people drove rear-wheel drive vehicles year-round. And this was before ABS, before traction control, and on rotten tires with stone-age rubber compounds and zero technology advancement. And they got along fine.

If grandma could get around in her 1967 Pontiac Catalina, then I'm sure we'll be OK.

Although I agree with most of that, keep in mind that many people would put chains on their tires on snowy days and people who had a lot of winter driving to do used steel-studded snow tires. I wouldn't say the average Ohio driver "got along fine" in the snow in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's with their stock setups.

Used to DD mine in winter, but it's become a good weather/weekend car as of late. Never had a problem on All-Season's, even last year when they were bald. Got stuck in one of the snowy days we had here this year, when I was coming back from Cinci, and the car did fine with light throttle, on BFG G-Force Sport Summer's. Not worth rusting it out, so it sits the majority of winter now.

Although I agree with most of that, keep in mind that many people would put chains on their tires on snowy days and people who had a lot of winter driving to do used steel-studded snow tires. I wouldn't say the average Ohio driver "got along fine" in the snow in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's with their stock setups.

Exactly! My dad always talks about the steel studs he had on his 67 vette.

To the OP...

I have been there and done that as have several others and it's just not worth it anymore. Keep the beater.

I don't need any more white-knuckled driving, my kids age me enough already!