May be looking for a Tundra...

RC K9

Anybody here own a newer Tundra? Pros? Cons?

On that note, anybody here work for Toyota and would want to cut me a super awesome deal?

I want a $50K truck, but I ain't paying $50k...lol. I could say that with Ford as they regularly discounts their trucks $10-$14k off MSRP...but I don't see those kinds of discounts on the Toyotas.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2011 CrewMax Platinum. Drove to MD for a great deal.

Also Toyota certified tech for 3 years. (No longer work there)

When I was searching trucks I wanted MAX amount of room inside. The 5.5' bed is plenty big for all my house projects. The power and reliability of the 5.7L is great. Mine has heated/cooled leather, back window rolls down, sunroof, nav, rear dvd. I wouldn't own another truck.

I know when I sold Tundras after college (2004/2005) the main difficult point was that Toyota didn't offer nearly the discounts off MSRP that Chevy, Ford, and Dodge did. I would say the Tundra, however you optioned it out, was about $10-15K more than the equivelant domestic.

I'm not sure if you notice or not. But price out a 2000 f150, 2000 Toyota Tundra.

Toyota holds it value.

Im not getting in a Bitching match. I have no complaints on my

Tundra. Pulls weight good, no other truck has the interior room.

If you have any questions let me know.

I'm not sure if you notice or not. But price out a 2000 f150, 2000 Toyota Tundra.

Toyota holds it value.

2 reasons: Ford sold a HELL of a lot more, and most of those Fords were used for actual work, not suburban family men who don't want to feel entirely neutered by life.

2 reasons: Ford sold a HELL of a lot more, and most of those Fords were used for actual work, not suburban family men who don't want to feel entirely neutered by life.

Ford = Cheaper to buy, less options, loses value faster. Your right, no one ever uses a Toyota truck to haul anything. Why have they made it so long..

I thought the Ford was the end all be all of trucks.

I never said that. I'm not a ford nutswinger. I like the twin turbo v6 and it pulls like a bauce, is super comfortable, and tons of room in the back seats.

However, back in the winter, it started shifting erratically and sometimes not shifting at all, then kicking out of gear altogether. I took it to ford, they said it was a connector issue in the trans. So they fixed it under the powertrain warranty. On a side note, a friend of mine used to work for ford and said he would never own one, and that they have had connector issues since back in '95 and never bothered to fix.

Fast forward to yesterday on the last leg of our trip back from OH. We hit heavy rain. I go to accelerate from a toll booth and the truck started shaking badly and would hardly accelerate. Seemed like a horrible misfire. finally it stopped misfiring, and would cruise just fine, but when I would give it gas to pass, it would do it again, no power and violent vibrations. SO I get it to where we are close to home and no rain for the last couple hours. I punch it, and it accelerates fine.

I did some research and am finding ford has some TSB's for the shielding over the intercooler, and more specifically pertaining to my issue, "grounding issues due to water intrusion" causing misfires. In fact, I found a case identical to my situation. Codes P0300, 304, 305, and 306.

I'm taking it to ford tomorrow and they are probably going to tell me its not covered under the powertrain warranty so ima have to cover costs out of pocket. At which point ima tell them apparently this truck was not built ford tough and they can shove it.

Even if they do fix it under warranty, I have 51000mi on this thing, its my daily driver and I use it to travel long distances with my family. This is the 2nd time in the last 6 months it's been in there for issues, and I would venture to guess the # of occurrences in regards to issues will only increase, not decrease. This is why I am entertaining getting another vehicle and am open to other makes/models, though the only one that even remotely has my interest is the tundra.

Toyota holds it value.

Im not getting in a Bitching match. I have no complaints on my

Tundra. Pulls weight good, no other truck has the interior room.

If you have any questions let me know.

Nobody I've ever known has bought a full size truck in hopes that it's resale value is high. I'm in a parking lot right now on a Compressor Station with a couple hundred workers on it and as I look around I don't see any Toyota full size trucks.

Maybe all these guys are missing something?

Nobody I've ever known has bought a full size truck in hopes that it's resale value is high. I'm in a parking lot right now on a Compressor Station with a couple hundred workers on it and as I look around I don't see any Toyota full size trucks.

Maybe all these guys are missing something?

You must know some dumb people. Because anything I make a purchase on, I plan for the future where I get close to my money back.

Ford = Cheaper to buy, less options, loses value faster. Your right, no one ever uses a Toyota truck to haul anything. Why have they made it so long..

What you have =/= the Toyota Hilux/pickup that has been made forever.

And by forever I mean 20 years fewer than the Ford F-series :dumb:

All I know is that when I had my old '59 Apache loaded up with 500lbs of mulch there were guys in Tundras, F-150s, Rams and Silverados telling me they'd never do that with their own truck, why not just pay someone else to do it.

Bunch pussies.

You must know some dumb people. Because anything I make a purchase on, I plan for the future where I get close to my money back.

A truck isn't an investment, it's a cost of doing business. You drive that motherfucker into the ground, like the 400k mile F150 parts truck we use. Or the F150 the Lindsay Honda uses.

What you have =/= the Toyota Hilux/pickup that has been made forever.

And by forever I mean 20 years fewer than the Ford F-series :dumb:

All I know is that when I had my old '59 Apache loaded up with 500lbs of mulch there were guys in Tundras, F-150s, Rams and Silverados telling me they'd never do that with their own truck, why not just pay someone else to do it.

Bunch pussies.

Lol your argument is very ignorant. Your making judgments on a truck because people said they wouldn't load their truck with mulch.

I just loaded 80 bags of river rock in my truck.. but it's a pussy truck that can't haul anything so I should have bought a Ford that is worth 1/4 of what I would pay.

As for resale, diesels come pretty close to holding their value. Dad traded his 2010 ram 2500 in with 100k on it and trade in value was 7k over what he owed on it....

Just stirring the pot really, my buddy just bought a used limited Tundra in all black with the orange/tan leather and its very nice.

I've owned Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota trucks, although I admit my Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks were all before 2000.

I bought a new 2008 Toyota Tundra because I wanted the most dependable truck I could get, planned on doing some medium towing (never did), and was tired of taking huge depreciation hits. Fall of 2008 was a really tough time for truck dealers, and I got 5k off sticker. Some high end Fords were discounted 25k back then.

I kept the truck 3 years and never had a problem or issue. My retirement plans changed and I had very little use for the truck, so I offered it for sale, at only slightly less than my purchase price. It sold within hours, with no advertising. My post on CR produced many PM's, but the truck had sold by the time I opened them. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97606&highlight=tundra

The extra 10-15k in my pocket more than made up for any bruise to my masculinity for driving a Toyota truck. :dumb:

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Tundra. I love the 1794 edition.

I'll chime in that I'm interested as well. My wife has a 2000 Tundra she loves, but with 200k on the clock I've got some concerns about continued reliability. Also rust is starting to become a problem (although the frame is new now). She loves it to death, so when we replace it most likely it'll be a newer Tundra. As for pulling the race trailer it does okay, but I'd love to have the increased towing capacity of one of the newer ones.

When you start calling people dumb and ignorant while having a discussion about difference of opinions you really start to look like a nut swinging fanboi.

I mean you come off like you sucked your first dick in a Toyota truck and it's all sentimental and shit.

When you start calling people dumb and ignorant while having a discussion about difference of opinions you really start to look like a nut swinging fanboi.

I mean you come off like you sucked your first dick in a Toyota truck and it's all sentimental and shit.

If you buy a vehicle and do not care if it will hold any type of value, you are dumb.

If you make an assumption about a vehicle because of what a couple guys said about mulch, you are ignorant (lack of knowledge, since you seem to think that's an attack at someone)

And for your information it was a Ford Mustang, that's why I hate mustangs. Bad experience

If you buy a vehicle and do not care if it will hold any type of value, you are dumb.

Or...

For their purpose, they don't care what it costs.

No 2 people are the same, we spend our money on different things. People buy new cars every day that will be worth 50% of what they paid in a few years. Are these people "dumb" because they chose to spend their money this way?

I bet their feelings are hurt when driving their Benz or Lambo because Rocky said it's dumb.

Or...

For their purpose, they don't care what it costs.

No 2 people are the same, we spend our money on different things. People buy new cars every day that will be worth 50% of what they paid in a few years. Are these people "dumb" because they chose to spend their money this way?

I bet their feelings are hurt when driving their Benz or Lambo because Rocky said it's dumb.

I guess we all make and earn our money different and some people do not make smart financial decisions if that's the way you want to put it.

some people do not make smart financial decisions if that's the way you want to put it.

If it brings them joy, I think it's a smart financial decision.

Cars, pets, children, hoarding baseball cards.

Money has to go somewhere, if you are happy, you are doing it right.