Automotive locksmith

cybe

Years ago, I lost the key to my A4 and called a guy out - he was able to slap a blank key in the ignition, take it out and basically manufacture a new key right there on the spot. Put me out $70 and about 30 minutes, which I thought was really impressive.

I need to find somebody who can do that for the Porsche - anybody know a good one?

The dealership I work for uses a company called high tech locksmiths, I have no personal experience with them though. The name implies they should be able to help or point you in the right direction though. If I see them on the lot today ill run it by them. Edited by Geeesammy

Called 'Hightech' who couldn't be arsed whatsoever and flat out declined.

Called 'Affordable 24 hour locksmith', also didn't give a shit - "we don't do those."

Called 'Anytime' locksmith; $275 "because it's rare" (a member's Acura was $25.)

Called 'Buckeye', talked to Robert. Cool guy, $100 bucks tomorrow morning, doesn't mind that the car's on jackstands.

http://www.centralohiolocksmithkeymaker.com/

614-634-4444

And there's my locksmith journey.

Called 'Hightech' who couldn't be arsed whatsoever and flat out declined.

Called 'Affordable 24 hour locksmith', also didn't give a shit - "we don't do those."

Called 'Anytime' locksmith; $275 "because it's rare" (a member's Acura was $25.)

Called 'Buckeye', talked to Robert. Cool guy, $100 bucks tomorrow morning, doesn't mind that the car's on jackstands.

http://www.centralohiolocksmithkeymaker.com/

614-634-4444

And there's my locksmith journey.

Id be interested to see if he's successful. I spent a full hour on the phone with literally a dozen local locksmiths trying to get a door key made for a Continental. None of them would touch it. Well i take that back, one company said they would, then canceled on me 20min later:rolleyes:

Well, the guy came out - after an hour, he'd spent 4 blanks on the job, but I guess something's fucky with the cylinders.

He asked that I remove the lock cylinders so he can diagnose or possibly re-key them in order to make a single master key for the car.

In his defense, it's entirely possible that the locks are damaged, as I received the car with no key and the ignition switch dangling beneath the dash. Hopefully he can re-key it or whatever.

He didn't charge for the trip and time. (Thanks for the reminder, I'll cross-post in the build thread.)