My heap

gillbot

Posted it elsewhere but now I'm looking for some advice. I suspect I know what the answer will be but hey, doesn't hurt to,ask right?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/gillbot/imagejpg1_zps62365c44.jpg

Before I got it plated I took the gamble and rode it across town for a "vin inspection". On the way back it was popping bad on decel and at idle so I parked it. Well, today I took it out for a 20+ mile ride and it ran well with no popping that I could hear or notice. However, now there's a bit of a hesitation mid throttle and if you are cruising along mid throttle it has a bit of a buck or surge to it. I know the inevitable is "rebuild the carbs duh" but the problem is there are literally no parts available for this bike. I pulled the plugs and they looked pretty tan not white so I don't think it's over lean. I'm afraid that if I pull the carbs, I may end up doing more harm than good and if anything gets damaged, it basically becomes a parts bike at that point.

I also noticed that when you roll on the throttle pretty hard the clutch seems to slip. I need to go through the service manual and check up on the adjustment procedure, but I suspect it's probably just worn out.

With the lack of parts and the fact that this is a nearly 30 year old bike, I think it's now a case of limp it along for the next year or so then replace it rather than dump money into it.

The main reason I got this bike was the fact that it's better than the typical rebel 250 since it's 450cc and it also has OD. The biggest factor though, it was cheap. Now I haven't ridden a bike in nearly 20 years, so I figured a "beater" would be better short term then upgrade. I was really hoping I could fix this one up as I went along, then hand it down to the wife when I upgrade. I'm thinking that may not happen now since I can't really find parts anywhere, and when you do they are ever abused or cost more than your first born.

Thoughts? Gamble on repairs or just ride the bitch into the grave?

Have you been to rice paddy? Used parts are better than no parts. Popping can be anything from an air leak to mis adjusted timing. Try checking the timing first as it probably hasn't been done in a long time.

Can you adapt the carb from some other more popular bike to this one? It's just a 450 so it's only got 2 carbs honda other manufacturers have made a bazillion similar bikes surely something will work on it. Other than that how about getting the carbs cleaned and synchronized, every bike I've had has shown a huge improvement with a good carb sync.

They probably need a good clean and synch, but the insulators are in poor shape. I'm afraid if I pull them, the insulators may get damaged and those aren't replaceable. The insulators are what hold the carb to the motor and from what I've read, that's one of the most unavailable and sought after parts. As far as timing, I don't think the it is adjustable on this but I'll check again.

There are a few rebel sites out there and I've been reading like crazy. People are trying to adapt parts to fit and from what I've gathered, it simply isn't worth the cost and effort in most cases. Some things readily swap on, but some of the more important things like carb parts are just too scarce. When one gives up on trying to keep theirs running, everyone swoops in like vultures to snag up the parts. I could probably make more off this bike parting it out than I could selling it as a runner honestly.

They probably need a good clean and synch, but the insulators are in poor shape. I'm afraid if I pull them, the insulators may get damaged and those aren't replaceable. The insulators are what hold the carb to the motor and from what I've read, that's one of the most unavailable and sought after parts. As far as timing, I don't think the it is adjustable on this but I'll check again.

There are a few rebel sites out there and I've been reading like crazy. People are trying to adapt parts to fit and from what I've gathered, it simply isn't worth the cost and effort in most cases. Some things readily swap on, but some of the more important things like carb parts are just too scarce. When one gives up on trying to keep theirs running, everyone swoops in like vultures to snag up the parts. I could probably make more off this bike parting it out than I could selling it as a runner honestly.

This is starting to sound like your best option, then. GL

• 2 weeks later...
See if you can get a hold of some vacuum sealant (kind of like rubber cement) to brush on the insulators while the bike is running. If there are any leaks in them the vacuum from the motor will draw the sealant in to seal them up. While you may not be able to replace them (easily or in a cost effective manner), this could get you by for a while if it is the issue. Other than that, I would try running some seafoam in the gas to see if it helps to clean out the carbs a little.

If it where me I'd start with taking the bowls off and running some carb cleaner and a welding tip cleaners through the jets. Then go with the basics. Sea foam/acetone through the tank. Check for an inline fuel filter replace it if it has it. Then in a dark garage/ outside at night fire it up. Keeping an eye on the spark plug wires looking for arking you can even mist some water with a spray bottle/Windex to check for bad boots on the wires. Lastly if the carbs are vacuume assisted take a can of starting fluid and sprits a little (very little) around the vacuume lines. Do this only when the engine is cold and if the spark plug wires are good. If the engine revs up after you spray the starting fluid it Wil tell you if there's a vaccume leak. Also check the throttle cable make sure its free moving and that the assembly is closing fully. Sounds to me like its just in need of a good tune up. Also I would change the oil with a good motorcycle oil even if its clean or recently been done. I can't tell you the number of times I though the clutch was bad on the old fixer upper bikes I bought just to find the oil was regular automotive oil didn't have the right amount of Zink or graphite in it. Just my $.02 hope it helps

As far as the insulators are concerned straight pieces of radiator hose that's really close to the diameter you need and some rtv sealant are great substitutes. make sure the clamps are nice and tight. Just another play outta the ol' red neck repair book lol.

I think I'm just gonna keep going with it till it dies. The main problem with the carbs are the rubber pistons. Not uncommon for them to work ok but be weak, then they tear when you disassemble.

As for the carb link, I'll pass $210 is 1/3 of what I paid for the whole bike. Not worth it. I'll just keep tweaking and making it my own. It was cheap enough that if I get a year out of it, it was worth it. Which at this point I nearly have already. I think I'm gonna go ahead and bob it though. We'll see what the winter brings.