rust *prevention*

ol doc gully

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

welp, for what its worth, after all that research fluid film definitely sounded like the way to go. i think my second choice would have been amsoil HD metal protector, sounds like it is a bit more of a permanent coating, so might be favorable if youre expecting lots physical contact.

anyway, used about 2 cans on just wheel wells, then 3-4 on the rest of the underside. used an outdoor lift at my buddies work, wind was a bit fierce so got quite a bit of overspray on one side of my truck. seems like it will just wash off with soap and water though.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/misplacedape/PhotoGrid_1411766647444_zpsfa04b1a2.jpg

Nice work!. I think you will be decently pleased. Looks like you did a great job with the coverage. I am not looking forward to rolling around on my gravel driveway lol.

It will wash off with soap and a good hand washing so long as you dont leave it there forever.

Just saw yours it a Toyota too. I would highly advise, if you get a chance, to take out the LCA cam bolts and really antisieze them well. Same with the front strut mount bolts and any other big bolts that go through metal bushings... They will seize with the road salt. Maybe not in just a year or two, but man it SUCKS.

I just sprayed my truck this past weekend with a mix of motor oil and STP. In the past I prep'd my truck with por15. My truck is 05 duramax with a plow. The por15 still looks good, but I figured I will add the oil to the mix for additional protection.

Nice work!. I think you will be decently pleased. Looks like you did a great job with the coverage. I am not looking forward to rolling around on my gravel driveway lol.

It will wash off with soap and a good hand washing so long as you dont leave it there forever.

Just saw yours it a Toyota too. I would highly advise, if you get a chance, to take out the LCA cam bolts and really antisieze them well. Same with the front strut mount bolts and any other big bolts that go through metal bushings... They will seize with the road salt. Maybe not in just a year or two, but man it SUCKS.

yeah i would have been crawling around on cobblestone if it hadnt been for my buddy's help - i feel your pain haha. and im really glad you said that about the control arm bolts. i recently did that job on an old subaru and my even older datsun and was very... unpleasant. i'll have to do that along with whatever next round of service.

I just sprayed my truck this past weekend with a mix of motor oil and STP. In the past I prep'd my truck with por15. My truck is 05 duramax with a plow. The por15 still looks good, but I figured I will add the oil to the mix for additional protection.

yeah i used POR to coat my datsun suspension before reassembling, good stuff, very durable. but here i mostly wanted to do something for all the bolt heads and hardware on moving joints etc to prevent rust in all those places, as ive seen how bad it can be on a few cars ive worked on since being up here and it is just ruinous.

yeah i would have been crawling around on cobblestone if it hadnt been for my buddy's help - i feel your pain haha. and im really glad you said that about the control arm bolts. i recently did that job on an old subaru and my even older datsun and was very... unpleasant. i'll have to do that along with whatever next round of service.

Indeed. My LCAs are all seized up and it drove terribly after I lifted it. Ended up just getting adjustable UCAs for now since my only option will be to cut the lowers out :mad: