1979 Z28 Cheverra - THE Cars & Concepts car

craig71188

This is the car built by Cars & Concepts for then owner/VP Dave Draper/Dick Chrysler to take to the 1980 24 hours of Daytona. The car appears on the race entry list, but is listed as a "DNS" Did not Start". The car appeared at car shows in support of Cars & Concepts, from the photos with the car it appears to have been driven/tested by Car Craft magazine at some point.

I have been the caretaker of this car for going on 4 years and a lot of the "heavy lifting" to return it to its original street/race trim is done - a lot of detail work is left, but I no longer have the inspiration and enthusiasm to finish it. Thread on the history of the car up to and through my tenure is here:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123634

Pictures of the car on the last page of that thread show its current state.

The car has a clean Ohio title showing 7xxx original miles. The car is virtually rust free save for some surface rust from storage and some rust on the radiator support (replacement for original that was modified to fit the fiberglass bodywork that was on the car when I got it).

Motor: 383 Dart headed small block built by Dart engines (with build and dyno sheets - car was only autocrossed a few seasons after install

Transmission: Turbo 400, believed to be B&M built, but no documentation

Suspension: Stage 3 Cheverra with 9" Ford rear end w/5.xx gear, "Nascar" style front hubs, Hurst Airheart Disc brakes, Herb Adams springs/sway bars/front structuring kit

Race Equipment: Full cage, 22 gallon ATL fuel cell, Cibie Headlamps & Marchal driving lamps (covers for both) in custom fiberglass nose. Aluminum 4 core radiator (stock radiator included) Corbeau Mk 8 seats, original (way outdated) Bob's Safety equipment window net and belts

Other Stuff: Real Lite Racing wheels (6) - 4 ea. 16 x 12, 2 ea. 16 x 10, 2 spare rim halves (could make up 16 x9 ? rims). 4 ea. 16" steel wheels with race rain tires (width unknown - tires are junk). Dry Break for fueling, spare 4:11(?) center section, multiple frt springs, F&R sway bars, misc spares.

I was reassembling the car into its original configuration for the Daytona race. The car still has the last autocross suspension set up on it, but the original VSE bars & springs are in the spares, also included is the original twin single master cylinders w/balance bar (corvette master cylinder w/adj bias on car now).

The new owner will get everything above plus all the original photos of the build/history (most of the ones you see if you search for "Cheverra" on the web) and many more. Also all the documentation and an unbuilt AMT 1/25 scale model kit that features this car.

Car is running - main work (get it on the street) still needed:

1) Mount seats

2) Dash Assembly - original dash was lost. Replacement was in poor shape (has cover) but many of the instrument cluster mounting tabs are gone

3) Bleed brakes/change fluids

4) Clean up some wiring

5) Install blower motor / some vent hook ups

6) Interior trim work

I am asking $14,000 for everything

(rust free 7K mile tub, relatively fresh 383 small block, full stage 3 Cheverra kit, fuel cell, race wheels & more) Some small spares could be pated out, but the main car and all its original parts are a 1 of 1). Would be great for SCCA's new CAM (classic American muscle) class.

Car is in Columbus, OH - I would prefer not to ship it if possible.

Edited by craig71188

• 1 month later...