AR15 Pistol build

jerrodh

With a sbr don't you have to always have your paperwork with you at all times ? Have you ran I to a hard time trying to resell them? Guess I would just rather go the carbine route

Gotta have the paperwork on you at all times with the firearm. I keep a copy of my trust in my range bag.

Edited by Radio Flyer

With a sbr don't you have to always have your paperwork with you at all times ? Have you ran I to a hard time trying to resell them? Guess I would just rather go the carbine route

The Form 1 allowing you to build an SBR, or the Form 4 allowing you to buy an already built SBR is a tax form. Nobody outside of the IRS or the issuing agency (ATF) have any legal standing in asking to see the tax forms dealing with SBRs. If a cop asks to see your paperwork you are completely within your rights to tell them to fuck off, but that's probably not the ideal way to handle it.

Many people scan their forms, shrink them down, print a small copy and stick it either in their range bag or in their grip or whatever. It makes life easier. But there's no legal requirement.

I keep a copy of the stamp in the compartment of my grip (that has a hinge door). I also keep a copy of all my stamps in my glove box. They are also scanned and saved in my gmail. Some ranges want to see AND copy them to have on file, others have just asked to see the stamps, and one said " the less we know the better" and told me they never want to see them (aimhi).

As far as resale.

Factory SBR guns seem to cost a lot more than their carbine version. You actually use a form 4 for this. And you DO NOT have to engrave the gun. but, you also cannot shoot is as a pistol before the stamp clears... It has to stay at the dealer the entire time. Resale for this item shouldn't be too hard, but... It's a much smaller niche within a niche.

A built SBR is on a form 1, you can build a pistol and shoot it while you wait. But , YOU MUST engrave the lower receiver. And, if you ever get tired of it you can sell it (tough because your name is engraved on it). You can put a 16 inch barrel on it and inform the ATF and then sell it to anyone freely ( but it still has your name on it). Finally, you can take your lower off and keep it. Buy a new stripped lower for 60-75 and put it on the "SBR parts" less the stock and sell it as a pistol, OR... Take the new lower, add a 16 inch barrel and sell it to anyone.

In final, SBRs aren't the type of guns you should worry about resale for.

In final, SBRs aren't the type of guns you should worry about resale for.

This. I have a couple nice, expensive billet lowers. Eventually I'll sbr them, and at that point they are mine forever. That doesn't mean I can't strip parts off as desired to sell.

This. I have a couple nice, expensive billet lowers. Eventually I'll sbr them, and at that point they are mine forever. That doesn't mean I can't strip parts off as desired to sell.

Right, in the grand scheme of things... your SBR is only as much as your lower/engraving costs. Stamp is additional... but that's a pay/play fee.

For instance - my forged SBR is:

Gunenvy lower - 75.00

Engraving - 20.00

TOTAL = 95.00

In the event that SOMEDAY I do not want my SBR I will mail the lower to the ATF to have it destroyed. I'm out a whopping 95.00 bucks worth of parts.

I also was able to get a billet lower for 75.00... so its essentially the same cost (plus the 20.00 dollar transfer fee as it was ordered from a dealer).

The main advantage of the pistol vs the SBR is the freedom it brings. I travel to WV, and other states often for classes/hunting etc. If you wish to take any stamped items out of the state you need to file a form and get permission to do so.

Now if you travel to a specific state a lot, you can file this form yearly. I personally don't like dealing with all that BS.

Plus as it was said earlier. I can keep my "pistol" in my vehicle should I ever need/want it readily available.

Noon question, but can other people shoot someone else's stamped guns? Like at the range.

As long as the owner remains in control of the nfa object, then yes other people can use it. It cannot be loaned out. When the owner isn't in control of it, it must be secured and inaccessible to others. Technically, a person can't legally leave it in their safe at home if their spouse has access to that safe when the owner isn't there, which is a large reason why trusts have become popular. You can add anyone you want to a trust that isn't a prohibited person, and they will have the same legal access as the person that started the trust.