Help with AR accuracy

99ta

Longer barrel length will help, how in accurate is it? Are your sights nice and tight? A lot of variables here

I think it does alright, I have decent optics on it. I want to shoot 600-800 yrds some day. lol. I just don't know anything about build an AR. What barrel would you recommend?

There are a ton of options for many types of shooting when it comes to it. It would be books worth of posts and you would probably be lost as hell. I can't tell it all and won't try but just get in a forum and start reading up and then you will be able to see what will fit the bill for whatever goals you choose in the end.

Cannot stress ammo enough when shooting past 500 yards. Cabelas has silver state 175g for 22/box. It's amazing how spending 4-more-dollars per box can improve accuracy.

How long have you been shooting the gun? How many rounds have put through it?

As a point to get out to 800. It's not "new barrel time" yet. First is ammo, then "time spent shooting", then.... Maybe a trigger upgrade. I use to go 2/5 at 1,000 with my remington 700 at 900y. With a Timney trigger I now go 4/5.

What optic are you using?

Also, most 308 AR's are not accuracy mongers unless you are buying Larue, HK, LWRC, etc

Use ammo better suited to the length/twist of your barrel.

Guess I need to research that, as I know nothing about it. haha

Cannot stress ammo enough when shooting past 500 yards. Cabelas has silver state 175g for 22/box. It's amazing how spending 4-more-dollars per box can improve accuracy.

How long have you been shooting the gun? How many rounds have put through it?

As a point to get out to 800. It's not "new barrel time" yet. First is ammo, then "time spent shooting", then.... Maybe a trigger upgrade. I use to go 2/5 at 1,000 with my remington 700 at 900y. With a Timney trigger I now go 4/5.

What optic are you using?

Also, most 308 AR's are not accuracy mongers unless you are buying Larue, HK, LWRC, etc

Had it less then a year. About 80 rounds through it. Nothing past 250y. Nothing fancy on the optics, Nikon 4x12. Bought it mainly for coyote hunting. But getting the itch to shoot long distance. So ammo, practice, trigger, then maybe barrel....

I wouldn't buy anything, until you get more time behind it, and training if needed. Be realistic with yourself. I don't know your shooting experience to be able to point you in a direction. Gear is the last adjustment, once you have been consistent with the basics.

I wouldn't buy anything, until you get more time behind it, and training if needed. Be realistic with yourself. I don't know your shooting experience to be able to point you in a direction. Gear is the last adjustment, once you have been consistent with the basics.

What about ammo Joe?

I have no issue with off the shelf common target ammo, until precision shooting is needed. But none of that means anything if the basics aren't known and being executed. We don't have much info to go on to help here. Everyone else throughout info to buy. I can't overlook the very basics.

makes sense, but thats why I am asking. If the gun is not consistent, then how am I to know if its me or the gun? I am very realistic with myself. I have never shot over 250 yards. 6 inch group at 250 yards. but only shot that 4 times.

Never paid any attention to ammo, bought whatever I could find at dicks. I think it was winchester, not sure though. I recently met a marine sniper and he said he would do some training with me in the spring. Like I said just getting the desire to do it. I apprciate all the advise.

This is an old vid. BUt, this info in it is proven again and again. I understand you are using a scope, see the info for what it is and there may be helpful parts in there. Breathing and trigger squeeze are factors that are often rushed. Do these things and get time behind the rifle and you will be in in a good place. If you are worried about the weapon being the issue, have a proven shooter compare their shots to yours under same conditions.

Get with that Marine and he will get you squared away. Cold weather shooting is pretty undesirable for many.

makes sense, but thats why I am asking. If the gun is not consistent, then how am I to know if its me or the gun? I am very realistic with myself. I have never shot over 250 yards. 6 inch group at 250 yards. but only shot that 4 times.

Never paid any attention to ammo, bought whatever I could find at dicks. I think it was winchester, not sure though. I recently met a marine sniper and he said he would do some training with me in the spring. Like I said just getting the desire to do it. I apprciate all the advise.

you could let someone with more 308 experience take it for a test drive. I'd gladly go to Briar Rabbit with you and see if I can do better. I put in the neighborhood of 2,200 rds of match 308 down the pipe this year (2014).

Also, It could be your gun. I'm not leaving that out. As an example---My first AR10 (CMMG MK3 CBR) couldn't group worth a shit at 100yards but my HK91 shot lights out. I sent it back to CMMG to find that there was a burr on the crown. They re-crowned the barrel and it shot lights out at 100 when I got it back.

Shoot some more, get a feel for the rifle then buy some match ammo and see what the rifle can do at 100 yards. I would want to have at least an MOA rifle if I was trying to reach out to 800. Which model DPMS do you have.

I have the Oracal.