Carpentry quesion

Richard Cranium

I'm curious what opinions are on this. I used to do some carpentry, my father was a carpentry teacher. I have not done much in the past 15 years and did not learn nearly enough from my father before he passed.

I want to start building cabinets. I need a shit ton of them in custom sizes for my trailer, office, etc... Eventually I would like to remodel the kitchen and do all the cabinets myself. Since I have my fathers shop to work in I'm guessing I can learn to make them myself. I'll get exactly the sizes I want without having to custom order them and pay through the nose. I'm the type if I'm going to spend the money I would rather buy the tools and do it myself (if I think I can).

I started with a quick youtube search for cabinet making videos to pick up some pointers on the specifics of cabinet making. I came across a series of videos from Sommerfeld's with a lot of great information. They also sell a wide range of tools to build cabinets they way he teaches in the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n4ng0PJZUCEv2RWaEpMA

I like the idea of doing all the fitting with tongue and groove joints, I even like their router table set up. I really already have most everything I need, and could probably build cabinets with what I have (table saw, radial arm saw, etc...) But I am drawn to his methods. I am seriously debating on building a router table like he uses with his parts for my projects.

Really I'm just curious what peoples opinions are of his style. I know tongue and groove has been around a long time and he makes a big deal about it like it is something new. Other than that does anyone have any opinions?

tl;dr Am I nuts to buy this guys tools and build cabinets this way?