Wifi thermostat

Lauren

Anybody have a nest thermostat or similar thermostat? What's the best and easiest one to use and has a mobile app to adjust temp when away? I want to put one in my business so j can make sure the temp is turned down at night to save $$$. So many employees coming and going at night and not addressing the thermostat.

I have a Honeywell set up in the shop and it has worked fine. In the House I have Nexia, and that too has had no issues. The apps are simple and install isn't too bad. For somehting quick and off the self, I think Honeywell at Home Depot is about $100.

I have a Nest and Love it. Most on CR prefer the Honeywell though other then price I'm not sure why. I use the Nest website and mobile app and love the use and look. It's considered to be easier to install and I think is still the only one that learns habits and allows for manual programming but that may not be as true now as it was a year ago when we got it.

I have a Nest and Love it. Most on CR prefer the Honeywell though other then price I'm not sure why. I use the Nest website and mobile app and love the use and look. It's considered to be easier to install and I think is still the only one that learns habits and allows for manual programming but that may not be as true now as it was a year ago when we got it.

^^ this. My wife and I love our nest except when it try's to drop the temp to help save energy.

I don't want something I have to program. I want something that I can turn heat or a/c on to a desired temp and leave it and if I forgot or my staff forgets to turn it off or on low I can do it from my phone before bed. Which one is it I am after?

The two downsides I saw on the nest were accuracy and it wouldn't run the fan on a schedule like my Honeywell does. My nest was a few degrees off so it would get colder or warmer than I liked. It seemed like I always had to change it a degree or two, then it would feel too warm or cool. I ended up putting the Honeywell and my old thermostat by the nest to compare and sure enough it was off. If you google it, it's a common problem with the nest.

The two downsides I saw on the nest were accuracy and it wouldn't run the fan on a schedule like my Honeywell does. My nest was a few degrees off so it would get colder or warmer than I liked. It seemed like I always had to change it a degree or two, then it would feel too warm or cool. I ended up putting the Honeywell and my old thermostat by the nest to compare and sure enough it was off. If you google it, it's a common problem with the nest.

Interesting, I have a digital thermometer at home I'll have to place it next to each other tonight and see how they correlate. I've heard many different things can affect on stat or another, (example: back plate or no back plate, wall temp, wifi on vs off). None of the companies seem to want to guarantee any accuracy so it is one of those tricky situations much like telling time, how do you know any specific one is correct?

I don't want something I have to program. I want something that I can turn heat or a/c on to a desired temp and leave it and if I forgot or my staff forgets to turn it off or on low I can do it from my phone before bed. Which one is it I am after?

You are probably best just getting a straight forward Honeywell. Any wifi enabled thermostat is going to provide you with what you desire, the basic functions of a standard thermostat with 'anywhere' connectivity.

I would believe my Honeywell honestly. If I set the nest to 72 and it felt cold, the nest showed 72 and the Honeywell plus my old thermostat would show as low as 69. In the summer, same thing. It would feel warm, Honeywell would say 75, nest would read 72.

I was advised by nest support that, it's urging you to "tweak" the temperature so it can learn your preferences based on outside temperatures and such, but I don't believe that crap. I think it's just fairly inaccurate and they are covering for it.

I've been eyeballing the Honeywell Smart thermostat for awhile now, mostly because the Nest is TOO minimalist.

But then Google went and added Google Now integration to the Nest thermostat. I can be driving home and simply tell my watch "set the temperature to 68*" and the house will be 68* by the time I get home, all without taking my eyes off the road.

Now I'm waiting on a nest sale to scoop one up.

Not that the OP cares but for reference to the Nest being inaccurate... obviously not a perfect test in any way but I put a digital thermometer next to our Nest and it was spot on every time I checked it last night and this morning. So I don't know I'm sure some are inaccurate in one way or anything but no issues here.

I would believe my Honeywell honestly. If I set the nest to 72 and it felt cold, the nest showed 72 and the Honeywell plus my old thermostat would show as low as 69. In the summer, same thing. It would feel warm, Honeywell would say 75, nest would read 72.

I was advised by nest support that, it's urging you to "tweak" the temperature so it can learn your preferences based on outside temperatures and such, but I don't believe that crap. I think it's just fairly inaccurate and they are covering for it.

Got a Nest for Christmas and I have the same problem. I could deal with it if it was a constant offset, but it's not. Some times of the day it will read the same as 2 other thermostats, other times it's a couple degrees off. One night it ended up being 74 (Nest set at 70) in the middle of the night, the next night it was 66 (Nest set at 69).

Sounds like it's a major design issue. Considering my options now, since it was a gift and no gift receipt I'm not sure if I can exchange for a Honeywell and where.

Got a Nest for Christmas and I have the same problem. I could deal with it if it was a constant offset, but it's not. Some times of the day it will read the same as 2 other thermostats, other times it's a couple degrees off. One night it ended up being 74 (Nest set at 70) in the middle of the night, the next night it was 66 (Nest set at 69).

Sounds like it's a major design issue. Considering my options now, since it was a gift and no gift receipt I'm not sure if I can exchange for a Honeywell and where.

That's the issue we had. It was pretty far off and relatively inconsistent. I don't recall what it was about the fan that we didn't like either as I see its been posted that it will circulate but I know that also played into why I got rid of it. The bulk of it being the inaccuracy more than anything else. Mine went back twice because of it, then I upgraded to the v2 and it was the same issue. I ended up deciding it wasn't very accurate and just went to the Honeywell.

I have the most basic Honeywell Wi-Fi model and its been fairly consistent. I use the android app often and have had no issues with connectivity or function.

My only real criticism is that my interface only allows 4 periods in a day; although this may just be a limitation of my particular model.

I have the most basic Honeywell Wi-Fi model and its been fairly consistent. I use the android app often and have had no issues with connectivity or function.

My only real criticism is that my interface only allows 4 periods in a day; although this may just be a limitation of my particular model.

Yeah, the higher the model usually the more periods you can set. I'm debating on just going for one of the top tier models and being done with incremental upgrades.

I think I'm now leaning towards the Ecobee3

http://smartthermostatguide.com/ecobee3-smart-thermostat-review/

And after reading a bunch of reviews, it seems the inaccuracy of the nest is in fact built in. It has a 3 degree "swing temp" setting whereas the Honeywell is 1 degree. There is more info on it at the site above, and is one of ther cons about the nest itself.

I just bought and installed the nest. So far we really like it. Set up was very easy, smart phone app was very simple. Accuracy is off 1 degree

As i stated above, it seems as though the accuracy isn't the issue. It has a non adjustable setting referred to as "swing temp" where it will allow deviation from the set point. I believe its an an effort to save energy.