556 cans

Radio Flyer1647545514

I've been looking lately and would like to hear from a few who own them.

Since you're not getting subsonic from them what cans are you going with? I've looked at the specwar k and it seems like the go to but I've also thrown the idea around of getting one of the short AAC cans as well to keep the added length as minimal as possible.

I'm using a 16" midlength right now but am debating changing it to a 14.5" carbine.

Also, would you say forget the 556 can and get a 762 instead? I'm not shooting anything other than 556 right now and don't plan on buying a 300blk or anything else anytime soon.

I went with a saker and the spec war k is a good can also you could go with a 762 it will be a little louder but people seem to forget accuracy is very important on a rifle by using the 762 can gases linger around the bullet and if you use the proper can it has been shown to even increase accuracy just something to think about

Jaron, I disagree.... Running 556 ammo through the Specwar762 is actually quieter than the Specwar556. I assume because of "volume" of the muffler.

See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojo5sjkXWPk

Also, I hate to sound too contesting... But, I'd like to know where you heard what you heard about accuracy being affected (gasses lingering, etc). It is my opinion that a suppressor will absolutely affect point-of-impact (where the bullet hits the target). BUT, I do not believe it will affect the group size down range.

Ryan, stop by the house and feel a can on a 16 inch barrel. you will be turned off instantly. it feels like you are wielding a telephone pole.

The Specwar 762 is enormous and more expensive than the Specwar 556. So it seems like the Specwar 556 would be a good choice. The Specwar 556 can be had on sale at BWSC from time to time from 400-500. A saker is also a great option. the design is SUPER cool and seems to be beneficial if you have a "blowout" or failure.

I always recommend buying a larger bore can than you need if you have both applications (a 556 gun and a 762 gun). the Specwar 762 does great on an SBR. Cant hardly notice the 2 inch length difference. But on a 16 inch barrel it's just not ideal.

If money was no object we'd all be running Surefire's.... But since money is a factor to most of us... buy the specwar.

Bob I'll get back to the accuracy thing soon will have to look again but was also told buy multiple manufacturers that this was true and did not have as much of an impact on a hand guns because normally shot at shorter distances with less demand from its user's to be the best of the best and if you feel the suppressor has a effect on accuracy then you will read on the suppressor forums it can even increase accuracy on a rifle assuming it was properly designed for the caliper

It is not always true that the bigger suppressor will be quieter for example use the same manufacturer were talking about there 45 can is 2 inches longer and also 3 DB louder when using a 9mm but I will.say it is better if you can save money by all means go for it ;)if you really dont plan on not going bigger the 223 can is cheaper and smaller

Bob I'll get back to the accuracy thing soon will have to look again but was also told buy multiple manufacturers

Very interested to know which MFG's told you this. How do gasses linger around something that is traveling that fast?

I have heard that suppressors will help maintain velocity (IE - higher, but we all know what that really means)

It is not always true that the bigger suppressor will be quieter for example use the same manufacturer were talking about there 45 can is 2 inches longer and also 3 DB louder when using a 9mm but I will.say it is better if you can save money by all means go for it ;)if you really dont plan on not going bigger the 223 can is cheaper and smaller

I think "what makes a suppressor quiet" comes down to baffle design AND size. The video I posted was as close to an "apples 30 cal vs apples 556" comparison I could find. The original video I saw 2years ago was something that I could not find. Again, the 30 cal can was quieter. Facts is facts dawg....

Regardless, send me the link on accuracy (grouping) being affected by running a larger bore suppressor. im interested to learn about that. I'm not calling you a liar. Im just taking a cue from Reagan - "trust, but verify".

Edited by Diamonds

Facts are facts suppressors are not magic the baffles and the chambers slow the gas down behind the bullet is what makes it quit the bigger the hole the more gas can ex cape to the next chamber and the bullets as it exists the can so this is why even if the 45 can has two iches longer baffles and chambers it's still louder with 9 millimeter bullets going through it

And if gas can surround the bullet it has a chance of causing turbulence which can affect the bullet accuracy hence why you want to stay as close to the Right size exiting hole as the caliper of choice as possible . If you shoot a 22 out of a 45 can the gas will follow the bullet out of the bigger holes and not fill the blast chambers like would happen if you had a .230 hole and not a huge 45 hole . Same principal is applied when making a ported muzzle brake you make the hole is close As possible to stop the gas from following and surrounding the bullet making better accuracy letting the gas escape from behind on the break

Facts are facts suppressors are not magic the baffles and the chambers slow the gas down behind the bullet is what makes it quit the bigger the hole the more gas can ex cape to the next chamber and the bullets as it exists the can so this is why even if the 45 can has two iches longer baffles and chambers it's still louder with 9 millimeter bullets going through it

And if gas can surround the bullet it has a chance of causing turbulence which can affect the bullet accuracy hence why you want to stay as close to the Right size exiting hole as the caliper of choice as possible . If you shoot a 22 out of a 45 can the gas will follow the bullet out of the bigger holes and not fill the blast chambers like would happen if you had a .230 hole and not a huge 45 hole . Same principal is applied when making a ported muzzle brake you make the hole is close As possible to stop the gas from following and surrounding the bullet making better accuracy letting the gas escape from behind on the break

Jaron, the gas travels at double the velocity of the projectile. Watch a slow mo video on YouTube of a gun with a suppressor. Gas comes out first.

After your initial post I talked to Brent Taylor of liberty suppressors. He said (in fact) the larger aperture (opening) aids accuracy and is actually optimal. Brent also confirmed the gas-velocity statement I made above.

Where are you getting your Intel Jaron?

If the gas is not being trapped behind the bullet what do you think you use baffles for ???? And the blast chambers

Look at the video dude. All I'm saying is that gas is the first thing to come out of a suppressor... Where you said "baffles slow down the gas behind the bullet". You are incorrect in your statement.

Jaron, in a real note. If you can provide sources for you evidence and that evidence is overwhelming then I have no issues believing you. Until then, I have to go with what my source told me. Have a wonderful night!

This video is helpful too:

The suppressor acts as a contained area where the gases from the round can expand and cool.

Perhaps the "less accurate" argument is related to projectile speed. A subsonic projectile will not necessarily have the same flight path as a full speed round. Usually the projectile has added weight to slow it down under the ~1120fps mark, so at long range the point of impact should be different. A not so great suppressor might have uneven baffles, which would throw off the symmetric expansion of gases which helps a round go straight as well.

I've shot AAC, Silencerco, Surefire, and a Gemtech and all from 10.5" to a 18" setup with 5.56. All have their pros and cons. Best setup I've shot was a 14.5 with a Gemtech LE. Very nice setup, smooth and fast. All the supressors have pros and cons. If your not going 300 BLK I would stick with a 5.56 can and purchase another later if you do swap.

Guest GMoney
Surefire suppressors have the largest "holes" in the industry. And ARE the most accurate by a landslide. They also aren't very quiet.

Why are you arguing? ;)

Booyah!