A Dream RX-8 "Building a Banshee"

ShowHBK

I freelance for a magazine that's based out of state.

I think your best bet is with Logan...this is what he does...dibs on ride when you finish.

I just sent an email to Logan and will wait for a reply. I finished reading my new book last night and now I have a lot more information about potential types of 26b. I will post pictures tonight, but according to the book and the numbers that I ran on a 26b made from 13b REW housing would be less powerful than a 26b made from Renesis housing. the problem with the Renesis housing is going to be the heat and exhaust, but the power would be a lot more than the 13b housing. Cooling is going to be my enemy for sure on this project... I will add more project info as this goes on.

How much money are you looking at spending on this project? I wonder if a billet housing would be a good idea for what you are looking to try to accomplish.

Well, the end goal is to "save money" but that's not really something that I can say goes with this project. If I remember correctly Billet housing are made of aluminum which are cheaper, correct?

What is your idea on the Billet Housing? I have heard of them but know little.

I am not sure what material the billet housings are made of, but I do know that the factory housings are aluminum. My thought is that the billet would probably be stronger if the strength of the housings becomes a concern, though I am sure they would be pricey being that they have to be cnc'd. Also, with a billet housing (being that they have to be cnc'd) I would think you could have them designed more like a renisis housing but with more cooling capacity and have the ports already cut for you (exhaust and p-port if you plan on going that direction).

A question for my own curiosity for the rotary peeps here, when you go p-port, what happens with the ports in the stock irons? Do they get filled, or is there special irons with no ports for such an application?

I did some research last night on the housing and I think Billet will be out for sure. Center irons are $3k-4k and complete engine's are going to be well over $15k

I was looking on ebay and the funny thing is, I could just buy two Cosmo 20b engines for $6k and then use those parts for the engine core. Would not be a bad idea in my opinion to clean up two 20b engine and then turn them into a 26b. Thoughts?

*UPDATE*

I am going to spend some time learning to weld from a few CC&C guys and am in the process of finding some parts to tinker with. I also received a PM with a really good idea to create a zero fucks given RX-7 as a "project" car before attempting the real thing.

My project right now is:

1. Gain a few more skills (welding, working with metal, etc.)

2. Find some 13b parts to tinker with

3. find a shit RX-7 to play with

Updates will follow.