Extended Maintenance Warranty for a used car?

BigOxley

Looking a VW TDI for a DD. There are some pretty costly repairs IF things go wrong with the car i.e. high pressure fuel pump and the diesel particulate filter. Most cars aren't affected but it still worries me.

I asked the dealer if they offered any vehicle warranties. They said they use a company called AUL, top of the line warranty is $2400 and basic is $1800, both for 3year/36k miles.

AUL has some pretty shitty online reviews, but I wouldn't expect people go out of their way to post good reviews.

I've heard good experiences for warranties for used car purchased through somewhere like Carmax.

yay or nay?

With those 3rd party warranties you will most likely have a ton of hassle if you do ever make a claim. I would pass on it or find a different car.

Some suck and some are actually legit.

IIRC the one that ToyBarn pushes was pretty good. We deal with them all the time here and the claims person either goes out of their way to find a reason why whatever is wrong isn't covered or the better companies may ask a question or two about why this or that but pay as written.

I know they have saved many of our clients 2-3x what they paid for the warranty on BMW / Mercedes / Audi's they bought used and then kept 4-5 years.

Jeff

Looking a VW TDI for a DD. There are some pretty costly repairs IF things go wrong with the car i.e. high pressure fuel pump and the diesel particulate filter. Most cars aren't affected but it still worries me.

I asked the dealer if they offered any vehicle warranties. They said they use a company called AUL, top of the line warranty is $2400 and basic is $1800, both for 3year/36k miles.

AUL has some pretty shitty online reviews, but I wouldn't expect people go out of their way to post good reviews.

I've heard good experiences for warranties for used car purchased through somewhere like Carmax.

yay or nay?

How old is the car? Have you thought about contacting a F&I guy at a VW dealership and asking what they would sell you an extended dealer warranty for? I know you would have to pay to have the car inspected for pre-existing issues prior to the warranty being valid but to me, is way better than a third party warranty.

Remember that the dealer cost is significantly lower than what they will try to sell it for. I wouldn't pay more than $200 over their cost. Also, if you wait until the last day of the month they will probably give you a better deal as most F&I guys get monthly bonuses based on the amount of warranties they sell...

-Marc

It's a 2012 with 104k. One owner in Bellefontaine. Looks like he drove to and from Columbus for work. No service records available, yet

I would 100% contact VW and see what they would sell you a warranty for and how many miles it will cover.

-Marc

when I bought the Wife's audi, I went to the audi dealer and asked about an extended warranty. Fun Fact - Audi's Factory warranty is third party to begin with through Fidelity Warranty Services and they sell supplemental coverage outside the factory required 4 years 50K miles. It was no issue for me to buy it for a used car with 30K miles on it.

I believe VW offers the same as a friend of mine bought a 100K supplemental warranty for his R32 when he bought the car new. The same warranty was through fidelity.

FWIW, there are companies that offer discounts on Fidelity warranty services warranties and since they are Genuine VW/Audi authroized the dealers have to honor them. However, the internet is full of complaints about FWS weaseling out of coverage.

I would never buy a warranty that didn't have a brick-and-mortar store or factory standing behind it. I work in the car business and I can't tell you how many people have gone through hell trying to get a shitty 3rd party warranty they bought at Bob's Sketchy Auto Sales (or whatever) to honor a claim.

We sell 2 types of warranties here; 1 backed by FCA (FIAT Chrysler Automobiles) and 1 backed by Ford ESP, and the latter only because my F&I manager worked for Ford for 13 years and developed some good relationships that allow us to get competitive prices.

Pro tips: if the place you're buying from doesn't offer a reliable warranty, don't buy from that place. if the car you're trying to buy doesn't qualify for a reliable warranty, don't buy that car. The reason you can't get a good warranty from that place or on that car is because reliable warranty underwriters believe the risk is too high, and so should you.