VAG-COM, ESP light stuck on

jeffro

Who has one and would be willing to scan my 2002 a4 quattro in return for a case of beer or something? My ESP light is stuck on and instead of fixing things that dont need fixin, Id rather scan it and go straight to the cause. I dont know how vag-com works, so if this is something that cannot be done without purchasing a new license, then feel free to ignore. I live in Dublin but willing to travel.

Some additional information:

Several months ago the ESP light started turning on and off on its own. It began by coming on several miles into the drive, and sometimes not at all. Now, its on 100% of the time the instant i start the car. Cruise control no longer works as a result. ABS may or may not work as i don't drive like a dick enough to find out.

Thanks dudes

Welp, after actually paying close attention to it, i'm almost 100% certain it is the brake light sensor/switch. If i start the car without pressing the brake the light remains off. I noticed that the instant i press the brake is when the light comes on. Cheap part IIRC.

Cheap part, not bad to replace. Had this happen in the 03 Allroad. It did all kinds of other stuff too including loss of power (boost cut?)

DIY: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/331013-DIY-B6-B7-A4-S4-Sticky-Brake-Light-Switch

FWIW, I don't think I had to pull down the dash / harness stuff. Just get in the driver's seat upside down and have at it. Pay attention to the twist-locking mechanism, don't unlock it before it's installed.

Picked up a new BLS from Mag on tuesday. Installed it last night. Immediately noticed the light doesn't come on right away. It seems the little plunger thing doesn't want to extend when i press the brake pedal. I can hear it clicking sometimes like its catching inside the switch itself. When the plunger gets stuck it causes the ABS light AND the ESP light to come on. Tonight i will take it back apart and see if i can get it to work properly.