Building a Remington 700- What Ranges go 800-1000?

Rhett

Like the Title says I am building a Remington 700. Getting ready to pull the trigger this week (pun intended :bangbang:). My question is what Distance are the ranges here in Ohio? I am deciding between .308 and .300 win mag. I will be starting trying to drill some good holes on paper at 100-200 yards then ring some steel at 1000.... thats my goal anyway.

So where do you guys shoot?

** I heard Briar Rabbit re did there range and some one said to 700 yards and they will open it up to a 1000 for special events. Is this true.... there website sucks dick and has no info.

Lag Wagon, is that the length of Briar Rabbits Rifle Range, 600yards?

As far as I know, they officially run 400yd.

The only place I've shot any further was private property, sorry for the confusion.

Though I have heard the same talk of events at Briar Rabbit going 600-1000, just looked on Google Earth and don't see how that is possible on the property whatsoever...

did you see the deal Cabelas is having a sale on the savage 10T for like 439.00?

The Remington 700 systems can be had for sub $600, not saying the Savage isnt a good rifle... just kind of set on the 700 lol

Edited by Rhett

I love my 700 build, it's far more capable than I am, with boatloads of aftermarket support. However the action is nothing to write home about, and the stock trigger is decent, but not amazing.

My next bolt-action is going to be a CZ.

Why is that?

Is the market for part comparable?

What Caliber?

Mainly, floating bolt head...

And, their accutrigger is good enough for 1k OTBox. Don't get me wrong... My Timney works great but the feel that remington should address this in all guns.

Also, savage has a to. Of aftermarket support.. But really, all you are looking for is chassis compatibility.

I like 308... Many competition guys are going to 6.5 creedmoor or 260rem

Also keep in mind. To get to 1000 a good trigger will make things less "luck" and more "good". The other thing will be an optic capable of seeing the silhouette clearly enough at 1k. And that optic needs to have at least 48 MOA built into it so you can get there (or you can get a 20moa base which is what I did because I had 46 MOA built into mine and I thought that was pushing it).

I think the cheapest 1k gun you can build looks like this..

550 gun (maybe on sale for 400-450 at times)

120 trigger (Timney)

60 base (EGW)

60 rings (warne)

900 scope 6-24x50 vortex viper pst FFP (this is the cheapest/budget scope Id rec for 1k

While this thread is here, is there a huge advantage to 308 vs 270?

Well, for starters, they're two completely different rounds; IMO not even really comparable. The .270 is essentially a necked-down 30-06, which is itself a pretty old cartridge, though still quite capable. A .308 is probably the second most popular centerfire rifle cartridge after .223/5.56; and for good reason - it's very versatile. There is a TON of bullet selection when it comes to 30 cals, yet not nearly as much for .270 (though still a good amount) - If you reload. You can run a .308 on a short action. A .270 requires a long action. Factory loaded match ammo is plentiful for the .308; I'm not sure any is even made for .270, though I could be wrong. The .270 is traditionally a hunting round (some old timers consider it and 30-06 as THE round for deer; I disagree...).

In the end, if you're looking for a basic, entry level cartridge for punching holes in paper at moderate distances, the .308 is your huckleberry. If you want to kill something and make your grandpa happy, go with the .270.

Personally (I hand load for everything), I'd go with something chambered in .243 (I'd have mine reamed to AI specs). You can't convince me that there is a more versatile round out there. You can run anything from ~50gr (for small critter blasting) to 80-90gr. (for medium critter blasting), all the way up to ~108gr. for blasting paper at nasty distances. Plus, it's a 6mm bullet. In case you weren't aware, the 6 and 6.5mm bullets are where it's at when it comes to the distance game. 30 cal could be one of my last choices. But that's me, and I like to do things a bit differently.