AutoCAD DXF files & places that cut batches of 2D metal in CBUS?

Diamonds

Hi,

I want to have keychains cut out of 3/8 aluminum.

1. Is there a place in Columbus that does this? If not, what type of business do I need to search on the Internet?

2. What is a DXF file and how can I take an outline I make in Photoshop and make it a DXF file?

Thanks!!!

Search waterjetting or laser cutting. Check out http://www.buckeyemetal.com/home Almost any metal fab shop Should be able to do that or point you in the right direction. A .dxf file is a version of a .dwg file, created in a CAD program like AutoCAD. If you can save the .psd as an adobe illustrator file (.ai) or a .pdf, download a trial of Rhinoceros 5 and open the pdf and save it as a .dxf Edited by DavidBaustert

I've always simply traced images into CAD to make a .dxf. I could do that for you easily. If it needs EXACTLY converted in the manner noted above, I am not your guy lol

My wife just had a 36" x 36" 1/8" steel sign made and shipped from OH to NC for $95. Everywhere around here wanted hundreds to do it.

I found the guys FB page in case it helps: https://www.facebook.com/pages/BG-Cnc/1401424993487924?fref=nf

What kind of finish does the cut need to have? Laser cutting will likely be the cheapest, but won't have a perfectly smooth cut. Waterjetting will cost more but will give a very smooth and burr free surface. You could do it with wire EDM too, but that would be overkill...

I use General Saw & Machine in Marion for all of my aluminum lasercutting. They do a pretty good job and are fairly cheap.

I think they are waterjet guys! I have one and it looks smoother than in that pic.

Anyhow. Whats the price difference between waterjet and laser services typically..?

And, does anyone else have a near option for me to use (ie - a company)?

Check out these guys: http://www.regal-technology.com/precision-water-jet-cutting-services.html

Typically price is all dependent on volume and time. I don't know that I pay any more for waterjetting vs laser cutting. They both have their preferred applications. I get brackets that aren't going to be seen, or aren't crucial lasercut, and pieces of weldments and more visible brackets water jetted. With material, if you were going to order say 50 of those, I would guess they would be in the 15$-25$ range per piece

Wouldn't you still have a stop marking though?

Only if the part drops down in table and the laser nicks it before it shuts down. If it's much smoother than that in person it could be waterjet though. A lot of it is going to depend on travel speed too.

I'd shop around if they give you a quote that high. For reference, I pay about $850-900 for batches of 250pcs, various sizes up to 12"x12", from .120" thick 5052, all with CNC bends. For maximum savings, ask them how many of your part they can nest on a single standard size sheet (or half sheet) of aluminum and go with that for your batch size. Try not to leave a drop because they'll probably just charge you for that material anyways. A 4'x4' sheet of 6061 will cost them $300-400 tops and net you around 500+ parts (assuming ~4in^2 part size). I'd say you could have it done for around $2-3 per part, if that.

I have some aluminum sheets I can part with. Maybe a bit thick for keychains, I'll hit it with a caliper if you like.

Was gonna put them on my cnc router when that was a thing.

You might look to the .. what is it, Idea Lab? Maker Space? And DIY there for less.

Hi,

I want to have keychains cut out of 3/8 aluminum.

1. Is there a place in Columbus that does this? If not, what type of business do I need to search on the Internet?

2. What is a DXF file and how can I take an outline I make in Photoshop and make it a DXF file?

Thanks!!!

Bob,

I can do all this including 3d model it in Solidworks, we can also 3D print in plastic first to see if you like it. Just come to the house sometime, everything is here.