1986 Volkswagon Cabriolet

craig71188

1986 VW Cabrio, 87K miles, automatic, red w/grey interior

The Good:

4 brand new tires (less than 10 miles - really!), low miles, relatively rust free car, good top (has the boot cover), auto trans rebuilt in 2011 (receipts in car)

The Bad:

Radio faceplate was MIA when I go the car, car runs well but will not idle once it warms up (stalls) - coincides with the auxiliary air valve closing. Front bumper (passenger side) was hit/bent back - not bad looking from 20'

I picked this up last Fall and stored it in the garage over the winter. I planned to fix it and make a few $$$ this Spring. Too many projects and a new race car coming has me offering it up here for someone who wants to do a fix and still make some money - or someone who needs a good "kid car", Summer convertible" or whatever.

CR price $1000 firm - if I have to fix it later the price will be twice that! Not offered to the CL hordes yet....

Shoot me a number and I can text pics.

Edited by craig71188

got 'em

car looks nice

It's not show car by any means - but for a decent, reasonable clean, low miles convertible to run around in the Summer it's not too bad.

Turbs3000 (Matt) offered to post up the pics if I sent them to him. (THANKS MATT!) - so everyone may be able to browse later.

As I said, just to lazy/busy/occupied to get them done right now....

Serious question, have you tried regular tune up stuff to fix the stalling issue, or the fuel pump(s)? I thought the auxiliary air valve only controlled cold temp idle on these?

Tom

Auxiliary Air Valve is only supposed to be for cold idle (basically a controlled air leak). Car runs fine until it closes (warm run position). Car will idle fine warm if you crack the throttle plate, car runs fine at all other speeds.

Issue appears to be with air control at idle. Car has "maintenance" items done - plugs, cap, rotor, wires are new (old ones were in bad shape when I got it). No, I have not taken the time to do fuel pressure & volume checks.

Alldata's info on this car is poor - shows various components that are not correct for this vehicle. Again, taking the time to run through CIS FI diagnostics will likely pinpoint the problem, but I know other priorities and projects will keep me from it till deep into Summer...so here it is for someone to get a deal or make some money themselves.

Auxiliary Air Valve is only supposed to be for cold idle (basically a controlled air leak). Car runs fine until it closes (warm run position). Car will idle fine warm if you crack the throttle plate, car runs fine at all other speeds.

Issue appears to be with air control at idle. Car has "maintenance" items done - plugs, cap, rotor, wires are new (old ones were in bad shape when I got it). No, I have not taken the time to do fuel pressure & volume checks.

Alldata's info on this car is poor - shows various components that are not correct for this vehicle. Again, taking the time to run through CIS FI diagnostics will likely pinpoint the problem, but I know other priorities and projects will keep me from it till deep into Summer...so here it is for someone to get a deal or make some money themselves.

Great response...thanks.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...