Need help with getting rifle barrell drilled and tapped for scope

morabu

Let me get this out of the way by saying i am a novice shooter. I do have my CCW and an EDC. Pistols are about the only thing i have experience with though. I have never owned a rifle.

I just picked up a Savage Mark II off a buddy of mine. I bought this with the intent of plinking and practice for my son and i both. Weird thing about it is that there are no sights on it and no pre-drilled scope mount holes/screw covers (As far as i can tell).

I believe i am needing to get it drilled and tapped, so i can put a cheap/decent little scope on it. If anyone could help me out with where to go, or if you could help i would appreciate it.

J.R.

there are no irons. it does in fact have the rails though.

i believe this helps show my lack of knowledge right here. lol

i appreciate bringing this to my attention.

any good links/help on zeroing a scope?

as a matter of fact it does.

any good links/help on zeroing a scope?

1. Get a good, solid rest and put the gun on it. A sandbag or bag of beans can be made to work. Get creative.

2. Bore sight it. Once the scope is on and secured (evenly), pull the bolt out and look down the barrel towards the muzzle. Doing this, point the barrel at the target. Now, don't move the gun. Adjust the crosshairs to where the bore is pointing. Put bolt back in. Your gun is now bore sighted.

3. I like starting out at a closer distance in case my bore sight is slightly off. Say, 25 yd. This will keep you from chasing bullets that don't hit the target.

Aim at center of target and shoot a round (I typically shoot three and take the average). Now, move your reticle to match where the bullet hit. If the bullet hit 1" low and 1" right, you would need to move the POI up 1" and Left 1". Take a look at the turrets on your scope to determine how much each "click" moves the reticle. Typically, it will be something like, 1 click = 1/4" @ 100yd. Keep in mind, however, that if you shoot at 25yd, each click will only be 1/4 of that movement; i.e. each click will only move the POI 1/16". So, ultimately you would move 16 clicks left, and 16 clicks up. Do this a few times to fine tune it. Once its where you want it, move the target to 50 or 100 yd (or wherever you want your "zero". Repeat the process. You will probably find that your POI has dropped the further out you go, so you will probably have to adjust for that.

4. Your rifle is now zeroed for what you want. Make sure all of your mounts are tight before starting this process or you will drive yourself crazy chasing your POI.

there are no irons. it does in fact have the rails though.

Not to worry... As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure what you call this style of scope ring, or where to get them anymore. Was kind of hoping that someone more knowledgeable would chime in :)

I set up this rifle half a lifetime ago when I was a teenager. I guess that means these "old style" rings work okay on a 22LR, since it's held zero so well.

Anyways, congrats on the rifle. They're great shooters!