Watermark Etiquette (Photographers please come in)

bmwohio

Just had a newborn shoot done, and she did a great job, however, just got our online gallery and the watermark is a little overwhelming......

What is the proper etiquette on asking a photographer to 'tone down' their watermark?

To me, it feels like it is intruding in some spots and taking away from the actual picture....like your eyes want to go there first (especially in the black and white ones)

Would it be appropriate for me to ask the photographer to re-do these with a small watermark?

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Examples:

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/example%201_zps1ygvlafg.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/example%202_zpsixyr7lnn.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/example%203_zpsvxhsipfz.jpg

did you pay for digital copies?

The online galleries are usually so that you can order digital or print copies, hence why they carry large watermarks that are not easily removed so that you can't just right click the online gallery and save the pic.

If the digital or print copies you paid for have the watermark then you absolutely should go back to the photographer and have those removed. The gallery is not often inculded in the digital copies you purchase because it is treated like an order form and you probably didn't pay the photographer for online hosting.

In the end it never hurts to ask but for the gallery, since it serves as a store, they may say no. for any digital copies you paid they should not have any watermarks or logos. At the end of the day you are the customer and if you approach it from the standpoint that the relatives may buy extra pics if they can see the kid clearer then....who knows. I don't think they should be automatically offended if you are nice about it.

I am not a photog so this is just speculation:

Photos are a big deal to photogs because they're intellectual property. When you pay them to take the photos, you're paying them for the labor and the hosting of a gallery. What you're not paying them for is the right to use their intellectual property at your discretion from now til infinity. If you want to use those photos, you need their permission and if you want to print them, you've gotta go through them.

The watermark is so that you can't do that all yourself, basically so you can't steal their intellectual property.

did you pay for digital copies?

The online galleries are usually so that you can order digital or print copies, hence why they carry large watermarks that are not easily removed so that you can't just right click the online gallery and save the pic.

If the digital or print copies you paid for have the watermark then you absolutely should go back to the photographer and have those removed. The gallery is not often inculded in the digital copies you purchase because it is treated like an order form and you probably didn't pay the photographer for online hosting.

In the end it never hurts to ask but for the gallery, since it serves as a store, they may say no. for any digital copies you paid they should not have any watermarks or logos. At the end of the day you are the customer and if you approach it from the standpoint that the relatives may buy extra pics if they can see the kid clearer then....who knows. I don't think they should be automatically offended if you are nice about it.

Yes, we paid for the 'premium' package that includes all digital rights for the pictures to do as we please.

EDIT: I didn't think that these may just be for the online gallery like you said. With her site you cannot 'right click' to save as....I did a Ctrl+Prt Scr and opened it in photoshop to get these images.

Maybe I just need to call and find out what the story is......

Ok, I guess I should have made a phone call first.....false alarm....

The watermark is ONLY for online viewing, as she uses this for all clients including the ones that don't pay for digital images so they can't screen shot like I did :)

Thanks for responses, case closed :thumbup:

Ok, I guess I should have made a phone call first.....false alarm....

The watermark is ONLY for online viewing, as she uses this for all clients including the ones that don't pay for digital images so they can't screen shot like I did :)

Thanks for responses, case closed :thumbup:

I figued this would be the case.

Let me tell you from first hand experience it sucks to have your pictures stolen, watermarks chopped, and edited with terrible filters on instagram. Or even better, a company takes the picture and uses it in an ad with out permission.

I've had pictures stolen and used as avatars, profile pictures, and sigs by people all over the net inculding people on CR. It has made me change how I mark stuff and include some hidden watermarks, or post smaller sized picturess with a lower res quality.

tl;dr in today's digital world there is no respect for IP and people like to steal shit.