Thoughts on Chromebooks

Lauren

I'm in need of a laptop that I can browse the intranets, check emails, play web based music, create documents via google docs. I wouldn't need to save anything to it minus bank statements of tax info.

What do you all think about these Chromebooks. They seem to be able to handle anything I'm looking to do and they are really cheap.

What's a good model to get? Anyone got one sittin around they want to sell?

I considered these for my recently retired mom, as she rarely used her iPad.

Ended up getting her an HP-Stream 13 Laptop. It's very similar to a Chromebook in that it has awesome battery life, is super lightweight, and is cheap, but it runs windows instead! It's windows 8, but there are many free plugins that make win8 function very much like classic windows or windows 7. It only has like 32gb of onboard storage, much like most chromebooks, but it also has an sd card slot for easily expanding that. My mom loves it so far and uses it constantly.

Best option if you like it is the Windows Signature edition, which is a clean windows install without all the trial software and bloatware of most retail PCs.

Seen here its $229:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Stream-13-c077nr-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.309174500

They also make an 11" model, that I believe retains the standard size keyboard of the 13" model.

The one I'm thinking is the HP 11. I've read good things about it. I have an iPhone but everything else I use is all Google based including my calendar. I only keep an iPhone because of FaceTime and all our family has an iPhone to FaceTime.

Thanks looks like I'm gonna pick up a Chromebook.