Cooling/AC fan relay keeps popping, need answer sorta fast

greg1647545532

I'm on vacation and I'm on my 3rd cooling fan/AC relay. Need to drive back through NYC/Jersey, it's gonna overheat if the relay pops again. I'm assuming one of the fans is drawing too much current? Is there an easy way to tell which one? I don't have a multimeter but I could buy one in a pinch; no clue how to test current draw without splicing into wires.

New fan motors are about $200 a pop from Kia, $400 if I replace them both. I may be able to find a local junkyard. I suppose there's the nuclear option of driving both fans off the battery, but, uhh... I hope it doesn't come to that.

you need to look at a wiring diagram and see what goes through that relay. If by chance the a/c compressor goes through it could be a bad compressor clutch putting a bunch of amp draw on the relay.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Here's the wiring diagram I found:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/EB/ebrock63/2013-01-13_185242_2013-01-13_115144.png

The relay is controlled by the ECU and feeds into the fan control module, which only drives the 2 fans according to that. The A/C compressor has its own relay in the fuse box. The ground wire from the relay goes back into a harness and I can't visually trace it, and the grounds from the fans go back into the control module and I have the same problem.

I basically have a couple hours tomorrow to try something in order to make the drive home more pleasant with a small kit of hand tools and whatever I can find at O'dvancazone or car-part.com.

This is why I buy a Factory Service Manual the same day I purchase a car.

At any rate, given your predicament I would hardwire the fans to the battery. It could be any number of issues. Buddy had similar issues with his Hyundai and it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor.