GunEnvy Training classes

Diamonds

Well,

I must say. I attended my first actual training class (basic pistol) and it was very informative. It was hosted by GunEnvy and used a combination of instructors (Terry Philips, Combat vet/now CPD) and Jonathan O'Conner from Gunenvy).

The course lasted 8 hours (8-5) this past Saturday and we shot about 550 rounds. We started at static shooting, moved to "movement" type shooting where we were taught to move while engaging the threat, then did adrenaline simulation by physical activity to get the heart rate up (though I guarantee a real threat would be significantly different :)) and then worked on reloads and such. We also did some time "who is the quickest" shooting with reloads etc. That was fun.

All in all I think they have a good thing going. The P30L ran great. But I am convinced that (for training/self defense) I am going to switch to a trigger safety striker fire gun (something I never thought i'd do). Too much to fiddle with when drawing/gripping with a manual safety and I do not like the first trigger pull at the weight it is set at when de-cocked.

They are going to be doing more classes (Intermediate Pistol, Advanced Pistol, and several carbine courses). The class I took was 250 bucks. I felt it was well-worth the price.

Here are the next classes:

August 30 - Intermediate Handgun

September 13th - Basic Combat Handgun

September 19th - Basic Carbine

October 25th - CHL Practical Skills

I will be hoping to attend the 3 top ones... but it all depends when baby #2 comes (disposable time shrinks!).

PICS

Me moving/shooting

11800248_10153441809823162_3483049591549910016_n.jpg?oh=6982d400bcc8c33b8aa3d1198e84effe&oe=5659EBC2

Instructor Terry Phillips

11781869_10153441809828162_7432138232761244485_n.jpg?oh=b3116683b86c59efc306096020485f01&oe=564CA62F

Terry Training Larry's Daughter

11796291_10153441813063162_8740134578114162014_n.jpg?oh=e121ba02286e973cee0f6d7c93c29744&oe=560FF870

I don't work for Gunenvy. Nor am I affiliated. They have done good work on my guns in the past and I am just excited to share my experience with their training classes.

Nice.

I just ordered a pocket pro 2 to do some timing drills 9n the range.

I'm going to try and get in on one of their classes.

Still waiting on Joe to do one of his pistol courses as well.

Looks like you had fun and learned a lot.

It's funny, I just changed over to a m&p9 with the apex sear and springs. Didn't think I'd be a striker gun guy but I'm converted.

Sounds like you had a good time Bob. Moving to a streamlined pistol, striker fire, trims the fat off engaugment time. You can run those drills 100 times a day, and still have room to improve. It just takes the time and ammo. In my opinion, IDPA drills and some of the combat pistol drills, seem to be the most make sence for everyday carry. Getting your heart rate up and doing a stress shoot is very different than standing and poking hols in targets.

Ryan, I just got back in town and have a few people looking to take classes. I'm putting dates together to see what works for student and instructors. So far, one on one training is what most people have been wanting. I will have something posted soon. Right now, I'm seeing Aug 23rd as the an option date.

Sounds like you had a good time Bob. Moving to a streamlined pistol, striker fire, trims the fat off engaugment time. You can run those drills 100 times a day, and still have room to improve. It just takes the time and ammo. In my opinion, IDPA drills and some of the combat pistol drills, seem to be the most make sence for everyday carry. Getting your heart rate up and doing a stress shoot is very different than standing and poking hols in targets.

Ryan, I just got back in town and have a few people looking to take classes. I'm putting dates together to see what works for student and instructors. So far, one on one training is what most people have been wanting. I will have something posted soon. Right now, I'm seeing Aug 23rd as the an option date.

Agree, learning took place and I toggled it in my mind through the first couple hours of class. Should I run safety on and fully cocked? Should I run decocked with safety off? I tried it with the safety on and fully cocked and it took extra time to swipe the ambi-safety down (especially when I missed it and hand to incorporate my other hand).

I ended up figuring that "no safety, but de-cocked" was my "safest" bet as a newbie.

BUT, after the class I thought to myself "A VP9 would alleviate all these problems". So, I'm going to pick one up before the next class (I'm just so accustomed to the HK mag release).

I'm glad I'm "figuring these things out" now versus when it really matters.

Next on the list is to work on building a piston upper for the carbine course.

This is great thanks for the review. It is good to hear more positive things about GunEnvy. The place is pretty nice and around the corner from me. I want to do a pistol class soon. Also one with Joe when he is available. Money well spent.

Did you have to bring your own ammo/firearms or is that included in the price?

Any class past the level of basic pistol/CCW, should be bring your own equipment and ammo. Each place is different, but I would say 99% are going to be this way because you want to train with what you are going to use, not with what you borrowed.

What Joe said. Run your own gear so that you can discover issues with your system. Bob being a good example. He now knows he doesn't want to deal with external safety's and a double action trigger pull.

Such a learning experience and GLAD I learned it now. Makes me look at (and appreciate) Striker-fire guns in a totally different light.

Guest GMoney
Such a learning experience and GLAD I learned it now. Makes me look at (and appreciate) Striker-fire guns in a totally different light.

Old strange Grant isn't so strange.