Somehow drunk on craigslist led to a te72 corolla roller

10phone2

I really didn't want another project, but I have kept an eye on a roller shell for quite sometime in case my Cressida is a lost cause. Low and behold, found a local car that the guy wanted to get out of Toyota's and spend his time riding dirt bikes. While I did get the car cheap, I figure it will even things out since I sold a bunch of parts when we moved to our house well below asking price. I bought the car cheap and it's in workable shape. The frame is good, nothing outside of the usual rust spots, and the interior is in decent shape oddly enough. Just got it to my place, but here's a photo of it in the guys garage

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc510/chrisj011/00909_aupvbNTS1zq_600x450_zps1tfq5nyz.jpg

The car will not be built as a drifter or stance, but is getting a ford 8.8 rear, toyota 7m/5m hybrid engine, the ar5 solstice transmission, big turbo, etc. The 2jz is being kept for the cressida. I honestly won't touch the car until spring at best, but couldn't pass up a rare opportunity to get a decent toyota roller local and the wife isn't too over the top pissed. The picture honestly makes the car look better than what it is. By the end of the weekend, I should be done with yard projects and can finally get started on putting in the quarter panels and rear trunk sheet metal I picked up in north carolina for the cressida.

Edited by 10phone2

To be completely honest, I don't get it, but mostly because I don't know Toyotas. I fault no one on a project and some real work invested in what they're in to, because "to each their own".

I look forward to progress, and being enlightened about the world of classic Toyotas.

Congrats!

Well to answer all above:

Chief8one: I in now way consider myself rich compared to others on the board. I don't go out partying, am not afraid to drive several states over to get a good deal after letting stuff sit for several months, and only spend good money on tennis.

Steve-O: Sam's is better without question.

cstmg8: I grew up in hawaii so toyota's and aircooled vw's is what you grew up on, similar to camaro's/mustangs. I at some point will jump on over to a few years since parts are getting harder and harder to come by.

Everyone else, thanks for the kind words and will put up a build thread next spring/summer once it gets going.

To be completely honest, I don't get it, but mostly because I don't know Toyotas. I fault no one on a project and some real work invested in what they're in to, because "to each their own".

I look forward to progress, and being enlightened about the world of classic Toyotas.

Congrats!

1700lbs curb weight, rwd. /thread

He kept the aw11 steering rack and ae86 spindles. I have the ae86 steering column, stock spindles, stock cross member, ae86 cross member is on the car, and stock steering rack. Since I have the stock suspension on my 79 cressida still and the car is on a table that rolls, I am going to see what type of front parts swap over. If they do then it wouldn't be too hard use 5 lug mx83 stuff up front, but it could be a big fat waste of time. Considering how solid the frame is on the car, there is no way I would consider parting it out and these cars are getting too hard to come by.

He kept the aw11 steering rack and ae86 spindles. I have the ae86 steering column, stock spindles, stock cross member, ae86 cross member is on the car, and stock steering rack. Since I have the stock suspension on my 79 cressida still and the car is on a table that rolls, I am going to see what type of front parts swap over. If they do then it wouldn't be too hard use 5 lug mx83 stuff up front, but it could be a big fat waste of time. Considering how solid the frame is on the car, there is no way I would consider parting it out and these cars are getting too hard to come by.

That car was an AE71 which means it came with the manual rack and 4A steering components, not an AW11 rack/AE86 subframe/etc. It's a stock steering setup for the 4AC vehicles AE71.

The previous owner was in process of swapping everything over to the ae86 subframe, etc. He did give me the stock subframe so that it would match the stock spindles on the car since I didn't buy the ae86 spindles. You are correct in what it came with, it just currently has a mix and match of parts so the car could be roller.

The only thing is that I am shooting for a decent amount of power and I am not sure if the w58 will hold, but you do have a good point in making it easy. As you know the car is light and won't have the stroke of the 7m so they could go a long way in saving the trans. Seems like I am talking myself to go your route.

The only thing is that I am shooting for a decent amount of power and I am not sure if the w58 will hold, but you do have a good point in making it easy. As you know the car is light and won't have the stroke of the 7m so they could go a long way in saving the trans. Seems like I am talking myself to go your route.

Word on the street is that over 400 rear wheel torque is where they become iffy as far as strength. Keep a good sprung clutch in front of it and don't shift like an idiot and you'll be fine! I know a couple people have done well over 500 on a W58, but it's a gamble at that point.

Not sure what kinda power goal you had in mind, but 300hp in a car that size/weight will be scary as it is. I think W58 will work pretty well unless you had some crazy power numbers in mind.

I'm assuming that's not your garage the car is in now? I thought you had a 1 car garage at your new place.

You are correct. One car garage. One is in the garage and the other is in the driveway. Wife is somehow okay with it. We honestly had to keep moving cars in and out for when were coming and going from work, so it oddly makes things easier.

BTW... My apologies for all the sanding noise during the day the last few days. Sanding the whole deck. Should be done tomorrow.

Word on the street is that over 400 rear wheel torque is where they become iffy as far as strength. Keep a good sprung clutch in front of it and don't shift like an idiot and you'll be fine! I know a couple people have done well over 500 on a W58, but it's a gamble at that point.

Not sure what kinda power goal you had in mind, but 300hp in a car that size/weight will be scary as it is. I think W58 will work pretty well unless you had some crazy power numbers in mind.

Good to know. The main reason behind the solstice trans was the finding a decent r154 is getting harder and harder. I can always take a shot and see what happens. The other thing to add in, I think there is a clutch delay solenoid/system that can be put in that will softer the blow for when the clutch goes and can be set for different timings. I could be making things up at this point, but its so far down the road to really start planning it.

You are correct. One car garage. One is in the garage and the other is in the driveway. Wife is somehow okay with it. We honestly had to keep moving cars in and out for when were coming and going from work, so it oddly makes things easier.

BTW... My apologies for all the sanding noise during the day the last few days. Sanding the whole deck. Should be done tomorrow.

Yeah it definitely sucks only having one garage. Hell I have a 2 car garage and when I work on something we get to play musical cars.

And don't worry about the sound/sanding. When I'm in the garage I have the radio on and my compressor is generally running all the time too. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a complaint for how loud the car is.