killed the cb350f sort of

bigbluebird

so i was on the way out to QSL running 60 mph on the 73 cb350f (the mad max bike)

when i think i burnt a valve or some other important engine bit. no smoke that i noticed but just a pervasive burnt bad smell the whole time it was dying

the bike just sort of stated slowing down i downshifted to 4th and pined the throttle and managed to stay at about 40mph till i hit the 161 exit and rode/coasted it over to the parents house.

fortunately i recently bought a newish engine to replace the this one because it has never run right since i got it.

but as on now my bike is doa in a driveway 15 miles from the spare engine sitting in the rain (no tarp to cover it there)

good luck to everyone and i hope your bike are up and running

so i was on the way out to QSL running 60 mph on the 73 cb350f (the mad max bike)

when i think i burnt a valve or some other important engine bit. no smoke that i noticed but just a pervasive burnt bad smell the whole time it was dying

the bike just sort of stated slowing down i downshifted to 4th and pined the throttle and managed to stay at about 40mph till i hit the 161 exit and rode/coasted it over to the parents house.

fortunately i recently bought a newish engine to replace the this one because it has never run right since i got it.

but as on now my bike is doa in a driveway 15 miles from the spare engine sitting in the rain (no tarp to cover it there)

good luck to everyone and i hope your bike are up and running

Damn man. Sorry to hear all this. I know it's gotta be frustrating to have a bike down. At least you have an another engine you can throw in there when you get the chance. If i knew anything about putting one in, i would be more than happy to help.

When do you think you will be able to install the other engine?

no worries about getting it back to my house as i can take the engine to it. the hardest part will getting the spare engine down from upstairs and back into the car.

i figure i will be wrenching on it sunday if the weather is nice.

Catman

if you need any parts from a 73 350f let me know i have a few bits and piece i could toss your way

coolblue

not the bike is outside the engine is upstairs on my desk though looking back at how it got upstairs i could have used the original offer of help.

as to bike night you did not miss anything only 40 bikes showed and besides the comedy of watching a girl hop up on a HD and honk the horn when the owner was inside and the response from everyone who were like no that girl did not just do that. not much was missed

no if someone wants to help when i am trying to figure how to get it back in that is a different story, but i will probable just Luddite it up and try and do it all myself

yeah, sounds like a valve thing, or lack of oil, heh. Are you sure the exhaust valves aren't set too tight? If too tight, they really dog it down when it warms up good. Easy to tell, start it up and see if it's ok when cold.

yes, stay tuned, for the next episode of This Old Honda...

i will add an update as soon as i get a chance to work on it, but i am going to start real simple and check the oil, check the fuel filter, check the carbs for stuck floats, then move onto to good stuff.

heaven knows i have gone off the deep end on a project or two when all that was called for was a simple proper application of force

i have resuscitated the 350f. ok that may be a bit much, i went old school and wacked the carbs with a screw driver and sure enough it lives.

so it is back at the house and i will be tearing into the top end to make sure everything is up to spec here in the next few weeks.

:honda: 36 years old and still running cant beat a honda

If i lived closer I'de help scoop it up and get it home for ya,not only to be nice, but I'm restoring a 68 cb450 black bomber !!

nice....i just restored a 72 cb450...working on adjusting my Mikunis i just got for it....never screwed with Mikunis before but will fig it out.

carbs are awesome durring this whole process i figured out i should probably go up a size in the main jets, but for what i am going to do with it i should be good

as far a carbs go got used to tweaking and tweaking and tweaking. i ended up taking the carbs off mine 20 times. doing little adjustments, but then i was rebuilding/cleaning them at the same time

nice....i just restored a 72 cb450...working on adjusting my Mikunis i just got for it....never screwed with Mikunis before but will fig it out.

how are the timing chains on those, i know on the 350's they were a bit weak and most people who push the motors swapped the timing chains for a heavier one

how are the timing chains on those, i know on the 350's they were a bit weak and most people who push the motors swapped the timing chains for a heavier one

i havent heard of any probs with the timing chains......just get all the marks lined up and install the link and no probs.....unless a tensioner fails. As for the Mikunis i had to get 1/2 thick spacer plates made at Morse Automatic Precision down on S. High Street because with the DOHC engine the top of the carbs would hit the camshaft covers.

This i knew in advance since i stay in touch with Terry Naughtin of Team Hansen Honda....real cool and knowledgeable guy when it comes to the cb450.

My next project i hope will be a cb350 since there are tons of parts around for em.

• 2 weeks later...
i havent heard of any probs with the timing chains......just get all the marks lined up and install the link and no probs.....unless a tensioner fails. As for the Mikunis i had to get 1/2 thick spacer plates made at Morse Automatic Precision down on S. High Street because with the DOHC engine the top of the carbs would hit the camshaft covers.

This i knew in advance since i stay in touch with Terry Naughtin of Team Hansen Honda....real cool and knowledgeable guy when it comes to the cb450.

My next project i hope will be a cb350 since there are tons of parts around for em.

cool

there are alot of the 350's out there when i got mine it came with a whole extra engine

cb350f dead again

well i got it running again only to get 2 more rides before something went wrong again

have not looked to hard but i think the front brake is starting to lock up or the bearing are starting to go. alas the brakes and bearing are not something i am familiar with, so yippie something new to learn

cb350f dead again

well i got it running again only to get 2 more rides before something went wrong again

have not looked to hard but i think the front brake is starting to lock up or the bearing are starting to go. alas the brakes and bearing are not something i am familiar with, so yippie something new to learn

Is the bike still running though? If so, at least it's something man. Sorry to hear your having such bad luck.

oh its not bad luck it is a 30 year old bike that was run hard and now i am using it as a learning tool/project bike

to be honest it was some of the best money i have ever spent

i mean the sv just works the cl350 is a tank and i could not break it if i wanted

this bike is a smoke making, gas leaking, murdered out, not sure if it will make it back excitement machine

ok maybe i am a bit to excited when things go wrong on it, but getting your hand dirty is half the fun of having an old bike

oh its not bad luck it is a 30 year old bike that was run hard and now i am using it as a learning tool/project bike

to be honest it was some of the best money i have ever spent

i mean the sv just works the cl350 is a tank and i could not break it if i wanted

this bike is a smoke making, gas leaking, murdered out, not sure if it will make it back excitement machine

ok maybe i am a bit to excited when things go wrong on it, but getting your hand dirty is half the fun of having an old bike

love your attitude! how else will you learn.