JPMC Polaris

Sully

Traffic is fine coming in at 9am - no issues here. If the schedule is on the application then i dont know if i would ask if its flexible. That would be something you ask more upon the offer as well as pay.

What part of IT are you applying for?

Edited by Twistedrx7

I've been there for 9 months now. I like it. I'm in the fraud dept. I work 7-3:30 so parking and traffic isn't an issue for me. I just need 3 more months before I can start looking to move within the company.

Airwg2189, I may send you a message in a few months. I think your dept would be fun to work in. How do you like it?

Does anyone here work for JPMC at Polaris? I am looking at possibly interviewing for an IT job there. I am just wondering what the atmosphere is like there; in general are people happy, grumpy, easy to get along with, etc.

Also what is traffic like around that area? I live in Canal Winchester, so it would be a bit of a hike. The schedule would be M-F, 8-5. Maps says that it's 35 minutes without traffic. Would it be sufficient to give myself an hour to get there or more than that?

Worked there for 3 years as a "Systems Engineer" doing application support (WebSphere, WebLogic, java, other proprietary applications, on AIX/Linux & Windows) and also as an Application Developer. I spent 90% of my day arguing with idiots (internally) on the phone, battling for the chance to speak in conference calls and working through red tape/gray areas & change management, the other 10% actually doing work.

The pay is *generally* on par with the market but I got shafted coming in, the benefits are decent, I don't know if its still the same way but I got 3 weeks of paid vacation off the rip.

To give you some perspective the last year i was there I was making $72k/yr and received a 12% performance bonus

If you can deal with the politics (including reorgs every other month it seemed like), red tape and change management policies it's an easy place to work at. I would still be there if I wouldn't have received a much better offer.

Oh yeah, Polaris also has nice ammenities on site, including a Star Bucks, 3 cafeterias with crap tons of different options (one is primarily a sandwhich shop that has dunkin donuts coffee), a little convenience store type deal, a fedex (or is it UPS? can't remember), a doctors office, an enterprise rental, and a dry cleaner. As everyone has said already though, parking sucks. Luckily I worked 3 12's and was only in the office on Fridays for meetings for about 4 hours or so

To give you some perspective the last year i was there I was making $72k/yr and received a 12% performance bonus

Since you posted it, I'm curious: How much experience did you have? I haven't looked for a job in over 8 years, so I'm not really sure where the market is right now for developers, etc.

Since you posted it, I'm curious: How much experience did you have? I haven't looked for a job in over 8 years, so I'm not really sure where the market is right now for developers, etc.

From a professional perspective, I didn't have a wealth of experience from the development side. I started off young writing punters and other various nefarious applications focused around AOL. From there it grew into a hobby and I moved to delphi and then to c++ (using borland compilers) which later progressed to doing java and c++ in Linux (which fanned out into typical scripting languages such as bash, python, perl, TCL, etc)

I then started doing freelance web development utilizing ASP, PHP, Perl, MySQL and PostgreSQL, I did a bit of tooling development at a call center I was working for but that was really it as far as professional experience prior to Chase.

Initially when I was hired on at Chase I was brought in as a systems engineer to support WebSphere primarily and my saving grace for not having much professional experience let alone any experience with WebSphere was the fact that I knew Linux and programming logic.

From there I wrote a bunch of tooling around monitoring, log parsing and performing system/application health checks (aside from CA Wiley) and eventually moved into a dual role of doing application support and breakfix development (primarily logic fixes)

That led me to where I'm at now (Dell) in what is essentially a DevOps role which has been mostly proprietary application support and automation of day to day tasks. I have tried to stay away from being in a primary developer role because I honestly don't want to do it for a living as I think I'd get burnt out pretty quickly so the DevOps gig is a good mixture of engineering and development.

What I can say about the market currently from my recent job search is that there are an abundance of Java (building within Tomcat, WebSphere, and other application sever frameworks are common place) positions out there as well as .NET. I personally would prefer the later or vanilla c++/c# but that is because I have a serious distaste for the overhead that Java introduces into your environment but that is just the engineering side of me talking.

Airwg2189, I may send you a message in a few months. I think your dept would be fun to work in. How do you like it?

I love it. It's super laid back. Pay isn't the greatest though (~$40k) but the department is awesome and has a lot of connections. We're expecting massive growth over the next year, so maybe we'll get massive raises soon.